I Know I Was for a While

17: That’s What You Think About When We Kiss?

“You know that you don’t have to put this together, don’t you?” Camila asked as she sat at the foot of her bed, her eyes settled on Lionel who sat on the floor ahead of her, thoughtfully perusing the instruction pamphlet which had come in the box with the crib that she’d bought.

It had been a little while, after they’d talked about the prospect of her continuing to stay with him, a couple of weeks had passed, and whilst a small part of Camila was worried about imposing on the argentine, she had to admit that she was a little pleased that he was happy to let her stay, even if she was keen to not take advantage of his kindness. The idea that he wanted her to stay was one which had a few butterflies in the pit of her stomach.

It wasn’t what she had been expecting, after what had happened with Noah, she had anticipated spending a couple of weeks in Lionel’s spare bedroom before she found somewhere else, but she had to admit that she liked staying with him, even if it hadn’t been a part of her plan, and she was glad that he liked having her around because she had grown to love being around him.

Lionel, who’d been quietly reading over the instructions, quirked a grin at her question before he looked up at her, offering her a nod. “I know” he quipped “But someone has to, and I don’t see anyone else volunteering” he added impishly.

Camila rolled her eyes, something which made Lionel laugh gently before he shook his head, his smile softening a little. “I don’t mind doing it” he mused “But if you’d rather I didn’t, I don’t have to” he added, his tone a little tentative. He wanted to help, with Camila’s due date approaching quickly, he wanted to try and help make sure that things were ready for the new arrival, but still he was a little wary about overstepping, not wanting Camila to think that he was trying to intrude.

Camila, who’d been gently brushing her hand against her bump, she shook her head. “It’s not that” she mused “If anything, I am grateful that you’re so keen to help, I just...I want you to know that you don’t have to do it. I might struggle, but I am sure that I could get it done by myself” she explained, a faint teasing smile passing over her lips. She loved that he wanted to help, since he’d arrived at her apartment after Noah had broken things off with her, he’d been nothing short of wonderful and supportive, and whilst she appreciated his help, she wanted to offer him out, not wanting him to feel as though he had to help.

Lionel frowned slightly, mulling her words over for a couple of seconds, before he shuffled towards where she sat, his hands gently moving to take a hold of hers which had started to mess with the bottom of her shirt. Gently knotting their fingers together, he took a couple of seconds to think about what it was that he wanted to say, before he shook his head, his dark eyes peeking up at her. “I know that I don’t have to do it” he noted “I know that you could do it by yourself, and if you want do that, then just say the word, but I...I just want to help out. If I am sticking my nose in too much...”

“No” Camila interrupted quickly “You’re not. Of course you’re not. I love that you want to help” she insisted.

Lionel offered her a dubious look, something which made Camila squeeze his hands softly, a gentle smile spreading over her features.

Lionel looked up at her, admiring the soft smile that she wore, before he dropped his head, moving to press a soft kiss against the back of her hand.

Camila’s cheeks warmed a little at the feel of his lips against her skin before she slipped her other hand out of his, gently pushing her fingertips back through his dark hair. “We should do it together” she murmured, disturbing the comfortable silence which had settled over the two of them.

Lionel, who’d leant into her hand slightly, quirked an eyebrow. “Hm?” he posed.

“We should build the crib together” Camila rephrased “I mean, if you want to, of course. If you think that’s a little weird...” she trailed off as she spotted the smile that lit up Lionel’s face, something which caused her to shake her head, trying, and failing, to hide the hint of pink.

Lionel’s grin grew a little wider as he spotted the blush on her cheeks before he gently pushed himself up slightly, allowing him to press a soft kiss against her forehead. “I’d love to help” he murmured against her skin.

Camila closed her eyes, relishing the soft feel of his lips against her skin for a couple of seconds, before she gently reached up, cupping his cheek so that she could guide him into a soft kiss that he didn’t hesitate in returning. Smiling gently, he kissed her softly for a few seconds before Camila pulled back from, her dark eyes searching his. “Dinner” she murmured.

Lionel let out a slightly bemused laugh. “That’s what you think about when we kiss?” he quipped, his voice caught between confused and teasing.

Camila shook her head. “Of course not” she murmured “I just...I was thinking that maybe we could...” she stumbled out, her expression flustered.

“We could what?” Lionel pressed, trying to hide the amused smile that itched to spread across his face.

Camila offered him a small glare, not missing the amusement in his voice, before she shook her head. “I was just thinking” she mumbled “It’s probably a stupid idea, I mean, we spend most of our time together, just the two of us, so maybe it’s a dumb thing to suggest but...maybe we could...I’d like to...”

“Mila” Lionel interrupted with a grin “Are you trying to ask me out on a date?” he chirped teasingly.

Camila’s already pink cheeks flushed a shade deeper before she shook her head, gently pushing some of her dark hair behind her ear. “Is it that bad an idea?” she asked “If it is, just say so. We can forget I ever said it” she added self-consciously.

Lionel was quiet for a couple of seconds, something which made Camila shake her head before she attempted to stand up, something Lionel mirrored before he took a half step towards her, brushing a soft kiss over her lips. “I’d love that” he breathed as he stepped away from her.

Camila’s eyes widened a fraction. “Really?” she breathed.

Lionel didn’t hesitate in nodding, his warm smile not shifting away from his lips. “Really” he confirmed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)