I Know I Was for a While

19: This Has Been Better

Allowing a soft yawn to fall out of her mouth, Camila rested back into her seat, trying to get herself a little more comfortable. It wasn’t the first time she had felt uncomfortable, with her having reached the latter stages of her pregnancy, bouts of discomfort occurred frequently, and whist she knew that she still had a few weeks before the baby was due to put in his or her first appearance, she was already counting down the days, even if she didn’t quite know what to expect when the baby arrived. She knew that she couldn’t wait to meet the little boy or girl that she was carrying.

Shifting her weight around in her seat, she attempted to settle into a more comfortable position on the couch before the sound of a light knocking reached her ears, causing her to look up, her dark eyes settling on Lionel who’d stood in the doorway, a sympathetic smile stretched across his features. It had been a little while, after they’d headed out on their first date, a couple of weeks had passed, and whilst they hadn’t had the opportunity to head out on a second one, they were both in no doubt that it would happen eventually. They had enjoyed it, despite a shaky start, the date that they had headed out on had been a good one, and they both wanted to head out on another one, even if the opportunity had yet to present itself. They were both confident that it would only be a matter of time before they went out together again.

“You’re back” Camila mused, pushing a smile onto her face “How was training?” she added.

Lionel shrugged. “It was OK” he noted “How’s your day been?” he asked softly as he took a step deeper into the room, moving to plop down into the available seat at her side.

Camila watched him sit down before she shook her head, one of her hands gently brushing over her bump. “It’s been OK” she mused “I just...I feel very pregnant” she added, breathing out a small laugh.

Lionel, who’d been watching the movement of her hand over her bump, quirked a soft smile, something which made Camila shake her head. “It’s not that bad” she mused “I mean, I seem to need to pee all of the time, and I can’t get comfortable, no matter how I sit. My feet hurt, my back hurts, and the baby seems to want to kick all of the time, but it’s OK” she rambled, a shaky smile passing over her lips.

Lionel watched her for a second, not missing how shaky her smile looked, before he felt his phone buzz in his pocket, something which caused him to offer her a small apologetic smile before he pulled it out, reading the text that Gerard had sent to him, reminding him that they’d made plans for that afternoon.

Staring at the message for a second, he quietly thought over his reply, before he caught Camila’s eye, something which caused him to shake his head, a small smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. “It’s nothing” he mused, answering the question he was sure that she wanted to ask as he typed out his reply to Gerard, asking him if they could rearrange.

Camila offered him a slightly dubious look, causing Lionel’s smile to widen a fraction. “It’s just Gerard” he quipped.

Camila spared him another slightly uncertain look before Lionel leant towards her, brushing a quick kiss over her lips as he pushed himself back up to his feet. “What would you enjoy doing this afternoon?” he asked “I mean, we could put on a film for you to fall asleep during, or we could go shopping for all the foods you’ve grown to love eating. We can do whatever you want to” he added, offering her a small smile as he gently tucked a few loose hairs off of her face.

Camila looked up at him, her dark eyes mirroring his, before she quirked a shy smile. “Really?” she asked.

Lionel didn’t hesitate in nodding. “Of course” he mused.

Camila shook her head, unable to shake her smile. “Have I ever told you that you’re the best?” she fussed.

“A couple of times” Lionel played along “But, I do kind of like hearing it from time to time” he added.

Camila rolled her eyes, something which made Lionel laugh gently as he stepped out of the room.

~#~
Trying to brush a few knots out of her hair with her fingers, Camila quirked a sleepy smile, her eyes settled on Lionel who laid in a chair a little away from her, his soft snores filling the otherwise quiet room. They had had a quiet afternoon, after they’d stopped by shop in order to collect a selection of her favourite foods, they’d settled down in front of a film, and whilst she wasn’t surprised that she had fallen asleep, she was a little surprised that Lionel had. She had half been expecting to wake up to him smiling down at her.

Gently grinning to herself, she watched him sleep for a couple of seconds before the sound of his phone vibrating against the coffee table reached her ears, causing her to shake her head before she pushed herself up to her feet. Stepping towards the coffee table, she moved to pick the phone up so that it wouldn’t disturb him by making so much noise, before she caught a sight of the texts from Gerard which lit up the home screen. There were a couple of them, both teasing Lionel about him having opted to stay home rather than go out with the defender, and it surprised Camila a little, even if a small part of her itched to smile about the fact that Lionel had opted to stay with her rather than go out with Gerard. As far as she had been aware, Lionel hadn’t had any plans.

“Mila?”

Camila blinked a couple of times, surprised by the sound of Lionel’s voice, before she turned around, offering his phone out towards him with a sheepish smile. “I was worried about it waking you up” she babbled out.

Lionel, who’d sat up slightly, offered her a sleepy smile before he took the phone out of her hand, briefly scanning over the texts.

“You didn’t tell me you had plans” Camila squeaked, disturbing the silence which had settled over the two of them.

Lionel looked up at her, opening his mouth to reply, but Camila cut him off quickly. “You should have told me” she mused “I mean, you had plans to go out and you shouldn’t have let me get in the way of that. I am sure that I could have come up with something to do by myself this afternoon. If you’d wanted to...”

“I could have gone” Lionel interrupted “But, I chose to stay here with my...with you” he added, a slight flush of pink spreading over his cheeks.

Camila offered him a soft look, her dark eyes searching his face, before she shook her head, her fingers fiddling shyly with the ends of her hair. “You didn’t have to do that” she mumbled.

“I know I didn’t have to” Lionel replied “But I wanted to. I know it’s probably going to come as a shock, but I quite like spending my time with you, Mila, and whilst lunch with Gerard would have probably been riveting, this...this has been better” he added, a soft smile on his face. He knew that it bothered her, since she’d started to stay with him, she’d constantly reminded him that he didn’t have to do things for her, but still he wanted to do them, even if that afternoon had merely consisted of them lounging around the living room. He found that that was more interesting to him than the idea of heading out with Gerard.

Camila offered him a dubious look, something which made Lionel smile before he took a hold of her hands, pressing a soft kiss against the back of both of them. “I think it’s your company” he quipped “I think I like being around you, Mila” he added as he looked up at her.

Camila shook her head, trying, and failing, to hide the blush which had spread over her cheeks.

Lionel grinned at the blush on her cheeks before he pushed himself up to his feet, guiding her into a soft kiss that she didn’t hesitate in returning. He knew that she worried, since she’d moved into his spare bedroom, he knew that she worried about him doing too much for her, but he wanted her to know that he liked helping her, even if he was a little wary about overstepping, and that he liked being around her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1, Twisted;;Symphony and FootieJo for the comments :)