I Know I Was for a While

25: It’s Probably Going To Be Complicated

“Is there anything else that you want me to get for you before I sit down?” Lucille asked as she stepped into the living room, her eyes settling on Camila who was sat up on the couch, changing the television channel so that it showed Barcelona’s match against Sevilla. It had been an impromptu visit, after she had finished up with a couple of meetings in town, Lucille had dropped by in hopes of spending a little more time with her grandson, and she was pleased that Camila seemed happy to see her, more than a little worried that she’d find her mother’s fussing a little overwhelming.

She couldn’t deny that she was excited, from the moment that Camila had confided in her that she was expecting a baby, Lucille had been more than looking forwards to greeting the new addition, and whilst she wanted to spend as much time with her grandson as she could, she didn’t want to overwhelm Camila with her fussing, something which had caused her to be a little more cautious than she wanted to be, even if she had been quick to insist that she was only ever a phone call away. She didn’t want to overwhelm Camila with her fussing.

Camila, who’d been frowning at a picture of Lionel sat on the Barcelona bench, shook her head. “I’m OK” she mused “I’ve got a drink and something to eat, so why don’t you come and sit down? You can stop fussing for the first time since you settled through the door” she added, offering her mother a soft smile.

Lucille scoffed. “You think this is fussing?” she quipped playfully, plopping down into the seat by her daughter’s feet “My daughter’s just had a baby. Excuse me for wanting to look after her a little” she added, rolling her eyes dramatically.

Camila rolled her eyes playfully before she turned her stare back to the screen, watching as Sevilla put another chance wide of the post.

Lucille watched her for a couple of seconds, allowing a silence to hang over the two of them, before she gently shook her head, her eyes settling on the baby monitor which sat on the coffee table ahead of them. “Did you settle on a name yet?” she mused.

Camila, who’d moved to take a sip from her glass of water, smiled over the rim of it before she nodded. “Oscar” she mused.

“Oscar?” Lucille asked.

“I thought about a lot of names” Camila noted “I mean, I was pretty convinced for months that I was going to have a girl, so I had a couple worked out for that, but I didn’t really have one for a little boy. I’ve spent the last couple of nights reading the baby name book whilst I’ve been trying to settle him down, and I really like the name Oscar” she fussed with a warm smile.

Lucille mirrored her smile. “Oscar’s a lovely name, sweetheart” she fussed.

“I think so” Camila mused “And I was thinking about giving him papa’s name as a middle name” she added, her tone softening slightly.

Lucille’s smile softened a little. “I think your papa would have liked that very much” she fussed, her hand gently patting Camila’s leg “Oscar Jordi Santos” she added.

Camila was quiet for a couple of seconds, allowing the name to hang in the air, before the sound of Oscar’s grumbles filled the air, something which caused her to shake her head, the slightest of smiles tugging at the corner of her mouth. “I should go and get him” she mused.

“I’ll come with you” Lucille replied “He’s been asleep since I got here. I’d love to see him” she added.

Camila nodded before she stepped out of the room, guiding her mother up the stairs and into her bedroom. Gently nudging the door open, she quickly stepped across the room towards the crib which sat at the foot of her bed, her eyes lighting up at the sight of Oscar who laid inside, soft snuffles falling out of his mouth. “It’s Ok, baby” she mused “Mama’s here” she added as she leant down, lifting him up into her arms.

Lucille, who’d stopped in the doorway, watched her daughter and grandson with a smile before she shook her head, a soft sigh falling out of her mouth. “Have you spoken to Isabel yet?” she asked quietly.

Camila, who’d moved to change Oscar’s nappy, stilled a little at the sound of the question before she turned, offering her mother a soft frown. “Mama...”

“I know it’s only been a couple of days” Lucille interrupted “And I don’t want to pressure you to do it, but they are Oscar’s grandparents, Mila, and I think you need to think about making a call to them. They’re going to want to meet their grandson eventually” she added, her voice soft and kind.

She knew that it was a sore subject, since she’d moved into Lionel’s spare bedroom, the topic of anything related to Noah or his family was almost guaranteed to cause Camila to clam up, but still Lucille wanted to broach it, even if it wasn’t something that Camila really wanted to talk about. Isabel and her husband, Victor, were Oscar’s grandparents, regardless of what had happened between Camila and Noah, and they deserved to know that their grandson had arrived, even if it was likely to lead to an awkward meeting between them. Camila had to, at the very least, had to honor the word that she had given to Isabel.

Camila, who’d been quietly fastening up Oscar’s onesie, spared her mother a soft look before she nodded. “I know” she mused “I mean, I told Isabel that she and Victor could be around, and I know that I have to call them eventually, but I am worried, mama. Things have been going so smoothly” she added, chewing on her lip gently.

She knew that her mother was right, with Oscar having arrived, she knew that she had to call Isabel and her husband, but still it made her nervous, even if Isabel had insisted that she and Victor would be happy to move at Camila’s pace. The idea of them showing up and potentially causing problems was one which had knots in the pit of her stomach.

Lucille was quiet for a second, mulling over Camila’s words, before she stepped towards her, her hand gently cupping her daughter’s cheek. “I can’t promise that it will be without its problems” she mused as she traced her thumb along Camila’s cheekbone “I mean, your ex boyfriend’s parents visiting is one thing, them visiting the house that you share with your new boyfriend, that’s another, and it’s probably going to be messy and complicated and awkward, but it’s still the best thing to do. You said you’d involve them, Mila, and whilst I support you taking your time, you have to call them eventually, even if it does turn out to be a disaster” she added.

Camila chewed on her lip quietly for a second, mulling the words over, before she let out a quiet sigh, her hands gently moving to lift Oscar up again. Offering the baby a soft cuddle, she pressed a soft kiss against his forehead before she offered her mother a shaky smile. “I’ll call them in a couple of days” she mused.

Lucille flashed her a comforting smile, wordlessly assuring her that it was the best thing to do.