I Know I Was for a While

28: What Are You Waiting For?

“Am I really boring you that much?”

Lionel, who was staring down at his phone, rolled his eyes at the sound of Gerard’s teasing tone before he lifted his head, offering the defender a crooked smile across the table. He had been distracted, since he had left the house that morning, he had kept glancing at his phone in anticipation of a text from Camila telling him how things had gone between her and Noah’s parents, and whilst he was sure that things would have gone better than Camila had been expecting, he still wanted a little confirmation, wanting to know that she was alright. Quickly finishing typing out the message that he planned to send to Camila, he shook his head gently before he stuffed it into his pocket, moving to take a sip from his glass of water.

Gerard watched him for a moment before he shook his head, a grin playing at the corner of his mouth. “Camila?” he asked.

Lionel shrugged. “It’s nothing” he mused “Noah’s parents were due to drop round so that they could meet Oscar this morning, and I was just sending her a text to ask how it went. She was pretty nervous about it when I left and I just wanted to make sure that it everything was OK” he added, his cheeks flushing a soft shade of pink.

Gerard smirked a little, not missing the blush that had been quick to appear on the argentine’s face, but he didn’t comment on it, something which made Lionel shake his head, a slight grin tugging at the corner of his mouth. “You’re not going to tease me?” he quipped.

“I can do if you want me to” Gerard retorted impishly.

Lionel shook his head. “I’d rather you didn’t” he quipped “But that doesn’t normally stop you” he added.

Gerard grinned and leant back into his seat slightly, allowing a beat of quiet to pass between the two of them before he shook his head, breathing out a soft laugh.

Lionel, who’d turned his attention down towards the dessert menu which sat on the table ahead of them, quirked an eyebrow. “What?” he asked.

Gerard shrugged. “I was just thinking” he quipped “It wasn’t that long ago that you were denying that you had feeling for her, and now here we are, with you all smitten. I knew that you liked her” he added, his voice caught between teasing and soft.

Lionel rolled his eyes, but didn’t say anything to refute it, something which caused Gerard to smile. “It’s going well?” he asked.

He knew that it was, the smile that seemed to appear on Lionel’s face whenever someone mentioned Camila in conversation told the defender all that he needed to know about how things were going between the two of them, but still he wanted to ask, even if he did already know the answer. A small part of him merely wanted to watch Lionel’s face light up. He knew that Lionel had liked Camila for a while, even when she had been with Noah, the defender had known how much his friend cared about the brunette, and he was pleased that they were giving dating a chance, even if he had warned Lionel to be careful. There was no denying how much happier he had looked in the time that he and Camila had been tentatively trying to figure out what was going on between them.

“I think it is” Lionel replied “It’s still pretty early days. I mean, we’ve only been out on one date, and with Oscar around, the chances of us going on a second any time soon are pretty slim, but I think it, whatever it is, is going well. I like being around her, Geri” he fussed, his soft smile growing as he spoke.

Gerard watched him, marveling at the warm grin on his face, before the sound of a phone vibrating reached his ears, something which caused the defender to smirk, not missing the sheepish expression which passed over Lionel’s face. Quirking a playful eyebrow, he allowed the vibrating to continue for a few seconds before he huffed out a playful sigh. “What are you waiting for?” he quipped.

Lionel tilted his head. “You sure?” he asked.

Gerard nodded. “Certain” he quipped “Get out of here” he added.

Lionel offered him another slightly uncertain glance before he pushed himself up to his feet, flashing the defender a grin before he stepped away from the table, his phone pressed against his ear. Gerard, who’d leant back into his seat a little, watched the argentine across the restaurant before he smiled a little to himself, hoping that things between Camila and Lionel kept making the argentine as happy as he had been recently.

~#~
Gently pushing the front door closed, Lionel toed off his trainers before he padded towards the living room, his dark eyes quickly settling on Camila who was sat up onto the couch, her eyes vaguely staring towards the television which stood a little away from her. Watching her for a couple of seconds, he briefly contemplated knocking a hand against the door frame he stood in, before he shook his head, clearing his throat a little.

Camila startled a little before she turned around, offering him a small smile. “Hi” she mused.

Lionel mirrored her smile. “Hi” he mimicked “Where’s Oscar?” he asked.

Camila nodded towards the Moses basket which sat in front of her. “He’s just settled back down again” she mused.

Lionel nodded his head, allowing a couple of seconds of quiet to pass between them, before he stepped towards the couch, sitting down in the spot next to her. Camila watched him sit down before she shuffled a little closer to him, cuddling into his side, something which caused Lionel to wrap his arm around her shoulder, offering her a comforting hug. “Was it that bad?” he mumbled, his voice caught between soft and teasing.

Camila shook her head, her fingers messing with the bottom of his t-shirt. “It was fine” she mused “Isabel and Victor were pleasant enough, and they both seemed pretty smitten with Oscar, but it was just...it was pretty awkward and I am glad you’re here. I could use one of these” she added, cuddling a little closer to him.

Lionel smiled a little at the feel of the hug before he leant over, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head. “You really like my hugs that much?” he mumbled into her hair.

Camila turned her head so that she looked up at him, a soft smile on her face. “You’re amazing at them” she mused “And right now, I really just want to sit here with you for a little while. Is that Ok?” she asked gently.

Lionel looked down at her, his dark eyes searching her face, before he quirked a crooked smile, something which caused Camila to lean into him again, happily resting against him. Lionel watched her get comfortable before he tightened his arm around her shoulder briefly, hugging her close before he dropped another kiss against her head, wordlessly hoping that they’d get to share moments like that one for a while to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)