I Know I Was for a While

31: We’ll Be Cheering For You

Gently pulling her fingers through her messy dark hair, Camila padded down the stairs, her ears filled with the soft sound of Lionel’s voice which emanated from the kitchen, a sound which had a soft smile already playing on her lips. It wasn’t unusual, with Oscar being prone to waking her up throughout the night, they’d settled into a routine where Lionel would take the little boy first thing in the morning so that she could sleep in for a little while, and Camila had to admit that she looked forwards to walking into the kitchen each morning, already smitten with the sight of her two boys together.

It was still a work in progress, with Oscar only being a few weeks old, there were still moments where Lionel seemed a little uncertain around him, but they were getting to be fewer and further between, something which pleased Camila, even if things were awkward with everyone else around them. She was pleased that things with Lionel were moving along smoothly at least.

Reaching the foot of the stairs, she took a couple of seconds to try and wake herself up a little more before she padded through towards the kitchen, stopping in the doorway as her gaze settled on Lionel who sat with his back to her, feeding Oscar his bottle. Quirking a sleepy smile, she watched the two of them for a couple of seconds before she shuffled into the room, pressing a soft kiss against the top of Lionel’s head.

Lionel, who’d been quietly watching Oscar, grinned a little at the feel of her lips against his head before he looked up, watching as Camila stepped towards the kettle, flicking it on. Grinning, he looked her up and down before he shook his head, returning his stare towards the baby who sat in his arms. “Is that my shirt?” he quipped.

Camila, who’d moved to lean against the counter, looked down for a second before she nodded, offering him an impish smile. “It looks like it” she quipped “Is it a problem?” she added, quirking an amused eyebrow.

Lionel shook his head. “You know that it’s not” he replied “I just thought you’d stopped wearing them now that he’s here” he added, gesturing to Oscar.

Camila followed his gesture, her smile softening a little as she looked down at her son, before she shook her head, her fingers gently pulling at the bottom of the t-shirt that she wore. “He spit up on me when I woke up with him in the night” she explained “And this was the first thing that I found to change into. You don’t think it suits me?” she quipped.

Lionel breathed out a soft laugh. “I didn’t say that” he quipped, his cheeks flushing a familiar shade of pink.

Camila admired the blush on his cheeks for a second before the distant sound of a phone buzzing filled the air, something which caused Lionel to shake his head, a soft groan falling out of his mouth. “That’s going to be mine” he mumbled “I set an alarm to tell me when I needed to get in the shower so that I could leave in plenty of time ahead of the flight to Madrid. Do you mind?” he asked, gesturing down towards Oscar who laid in his arms, still contently finishing off his bottle.

Camila shook her head. “Of course not” she mused “Just give me a second. I’ve got something I want to show you before you go” she added before she jogged out of the room, returning a couple of seconds with a bag in her hand.

Lionel, who’d watched her back into the room, tilted his head slightly. “You bought me a bag?” he quipped, a playful smile on his face.

Camila shook her head before she stepped towards him, gently lifting Oscar out of his arms before she placed the bag into them. “Open it” she mused.

Lionel frowned at her for a second, something which made Camila smile at him encouragingly. Sparing her another uncertain look, he moved to open the top of the bag before he placed his hand inside, pulling out a piece of familiar blue and red material. Frowning a little to himself, he moved to unfold it before he noticed the yellow lettering on the back of it, something which caused him to shake his head, a soft laugh falling out of his mouth. “What is this?” he asked, looking up at Camila who stood in front of him, chewing on her lip softly.

“It’s for Oscar” Camila mused “I mean, he’s still too little to go to the final tonight, or any of the last few matches of the season that you’ve still got to play, but he’s not too small for that. It’s cute, no?” she added, her voice a little uncertain.

Lionel merely nodded, his fingertip gently tracing over the letters which spelt out his surname.

“You do like it, don’t you?” Camila asked nervously “I mean, if you think it’s too much...”

“I love it” Lionel interrupted.

Camila stopped herself midsentence, allowing his words to hang around them for a second, before she quirked a shy smile. “Really?” she fussed “Because if you don’t...”

“It’s adorable, Mila” Lionel cut in again “I love it” he added, his expression brightening into a warm smile.

Camila marveled at the expression he wore for a moment before she shook her head, trying, and failing to stifle her own wide smile. “I’m glad” she mused quietly.

Lionel grinned down at the tiny shirt for a second longer before his phone gave another buzz, something which caused him to let out another quiet groan before he pushed himself back up to his feet. “I really do have to start getting ready to go” he mumbled.

Camila nodded. “Don’t let us stop you” she mused.

Lionel spared a quick glance down towards the shirt he held in his hands before he looked back at Camila. “You’ll send me a picture?” he asked.

“Of course” Camila replied “And, just in case I don’t speak to you again before kickoff, good luck tonight. I mean, you probably won’t need it, but still. We’ll be cheering for you” she added.

Lionel let out another shy laugh before he took a pace towards her, pressing a quick kiss against her lips. “I love you” he mumbled before he dipped down, pressing a soft kiss against the top of Oscar’s head “Both of you” he added quietly.

Camila’s expression softened a little at his words before she leant into him again, kissing him softly. “We love you too” she mumbled.

Lionel held her close, allowing her words to hang in the air for a few seconds, before he reluctantly pulled away, moving to step out of the room with a familiar smile stuck on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)