I Know I Was for a While

33: This Was A Good Idea

“You’re sure that you’re alright to do this?” Camila asked as she spared a glance back towards her bed, looking at her mother who was sat at the foot of it, cooing softly to Oscar. It had been a little while, after she had gone out to lunch with Isabel, a few days had passed, with the end of Barcelona’s season only a few days away, Camila had asked her mother to take Oscar for the night, wanting to take an opportunity for her and Lionel to have some time to themselves before he travelled away ahead of Argentina’s world cup campaign.

They had a lot to celebrate, with her birthday and his falling during the group stages of the tournament, she wanted the chance to make a fuss of them, and she was glad that her mother had been available to take Oscar for the night, even if she was slightly apprehensive about the idea of the little boy being away from her. She knew that taking a night for just her and Lionel every once in a while was a good thing.

Lucille, who was watching Oscar quietly, rolled her eyes at her daughter’s question before she lifted her head, offering her a teasing smile. “You’ve asked me that five times since I got here” she quipped “And I’ve given you the same answer every time. I’m more than happy to babysit, you know I am, but if you’ve changed your mind...” she trailed off, her smile softening a little as she watched Camila pulled at the bottom of her skirt nervously.

It was routine, whenever it came to going out on a date with Lionel, Camila always seemed to be a little less sure of herself than she was when she’d been out with other men, and it never failed to make Lucille smile, knowing just how keen Camila was to make things with the argentine work. She couldn’t deny that she had been unsure of it, when Lionel and Camila had first started to date, Lucille had been worried that things would become complicated and the two of them would only end up ruining the wonderful friendship that they had, but she was glad that she had been wrong about them, even if it was still early days. There was no denying that they were onto a good thing.

Camila was quiet for a second, briefly mulling over her mother’s words, before she shook her head. “I haven’t” she mumbled.

“Good” Lucille replied “Because you’ve spent a lot of time planning for tonight, and I think you and Leo deserve it. It must have been a while since you two have had a night to just be a couple” she added, a suggestive smirk on her face.

Camila felt her cheeks warm a little before she shook her head. “Mama” she complained.

Lucille merely grinned innocently before the sound of the front door opening and closing filled the room, causing the older woman to push herself up to her feet. “That’s my cue to get out of here” she mused as she pulled Oscar’s nappy bag onto her shoulder.

Camila nodded. “You’ll call if you need anything?” she asked.

“Of course” Lucille replied “And I will bring him back first thing in the morning. I’ll make sure to call first, though” she added with another suggestive smirk.

Camila offered her a glare, something which made Lucille laugh gently before she stepped towards her, allowing Camila to press a soft kiss against the top of Oscar’s head. “You be good for your abuela” she mumbled gently “Mama loves you, Oscar” she added.

Lucille’s smile softened a little as she watched her daughter and grandson before she took a step back. “Have a good night, sweetheart” she mused gently before she stepped towards the door, making her way out of it.

Camila hung back, listening to the muffled sounds of her mother saying a quick goodbye to Lionel and the front door closing, before she tentatively stepped out of the bedroom. Hesitating on the landing, she briefly contemplated ducking back into the room before she stepped towards the stairs, descending them slowly before the sound of a bashful laugh reached her ears, something which caused her cheeks to flush a soft shade of pink before she looked up, her eyes settling on Lionel who stood at the foot of the stairs, a goofy smile on his face. “Mila” he breathed “You look...you look beautiful” he fussed.

Camila smiled at him shyly. “Gracias” she mused.

Lionel stared at her for a couple of seconds, allowing a silence to pass between them, before he cleared his throat, his hand sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck. “Did I forget we’d made plans?” he asked.

Camila shook her head. “We didn’t make plans” she mused “But I made some plans for us, if that’s OK. I know it’s pretty last minute, and I probably should have asked if you wanted to go out, but you’re going away soon and you’re away for both of our birthdays. I just thought...” she trailed off as she spotted the slight smile which played at the corner of Lionel’s mouth, something which caused the blush on cheeks to darken a shade.

Lionel watched her cheeks flush a deeper shade of pink before he stepped towards her, pressing a soft kiss against the reddened skin. “I’ll go and get changed” he mumbled, stepping past her.

~#~
“Can I get you another drink?” Lionel asked as he stepped through the kitchen, sparing a look back towards Camila who followed after him, slipping her feet out of the pair of heels that she wore. It had been a good night, even despite their customary shyness around one another, the dinner that Camila had arranged had been wonderful, and Lionel had to admit that he was glad that they’d done it, even if Camila had sprung it on him at the last minute. He’d enjoyed having a little time for just the two of them.

Camila, who’d moved to leave her shoes beside the door, looked up at the sound of his voice before she shook her head, offering him a small smile. “I’m Ok” she mused.

Lionel nodded his head before he stepped towards the fridge, retrieving a bottle of water from inside. Unscrewing the lid, he took a sip before he lifted his head, watching Camila quietly for a second before he felt a smile appear on his lips, something the brunette was quick to catch. Shaking her head, she admired his smile for a second before she lifted her hand, timidly pushing her dark hair off of her face. “You’re staring” she quipped.

Lionel smiled, briefly contemplating making a joke, before he nodded his head. “You’re beautiful” he noted “Can you blame me?” he added impishly.

Camila rolled her eyes, but couldn’t keep the smile away from her lips, something which caused Lionel to laugh softly before he stepped towards her, gently settling his arms around her waist. “I’m glad we did this” he mumbled quietly, not wanting to disturb the atmosphere of the room “I mean, you know how much I like having Oscar here, and how much I like our little routine, but this...tonight...it was a wonderful idea, Mila” he fussed gently.

Camila, who’d moved to wrap her arms around his neck, smiled at him shyly. “I’m glad you think so” she mused quietly.

Lionel stared down at her for a few seconds, his dark eyes searching her face, before he dipped forwards, pressing soft kisses against her forehead and nose before he met her lips, something which caused Camila to smile softly. Kissing him gently, she allowed her fingers to gently play with the hair at the back of his neck before she pulled away from him. Offering him a slightly coy smile, she gently dropped her arms from around his neck before she took a couple of paces away from him, extending a hand back to him.

Lionel admired her smile for a second, quirking one of his own, before he placed his hand in hers, allowing her to guide him up the stairs and towards her bedroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Twisted;;Symphony, Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)