I Know I Was for a While

37: You’re Doing Fine

Closing the front door of his apartment with a soft thump, Lionel rested his weight back against it, trying to fight the urge to let out a small groan in frustration. It was late, after Argentina’s 4-3 defeat to France, they’d found the earliest flight that they could out of Russia, and after a long day of travelling, he’d finally arrived back in his home town, something he had been looking forwards to since he had stepped foot off of the pitch. Squeezing his eyes closed, he took a couple of deep breaths before he shuffled forwards, quietly toeing off the pair of trainers that he wore.

“Leo?”

Lionel jumped, surprised by the sound of someone saying his name, before he slowly lifted his head, his dark eyes settling on Camila who stood a couple of paces away from him, sleepily rubbing her eyes. Blinking a couple of times, he looked her up and down before he took a couple of strides towards her, quickly wrapping her in a tight hug, something which caused her to let out a small squeak in surprise before she wrapped her arms around him, gently tucking her head into the side of his neck.

Lionel closed his eyes for a few seconds, relishing the feel of the embrace, before he took a pace back, his fingertips gently pushing a few messy strands of hair away from her eyes. “It’s late” he mumbled as he leant forwards, resting his forehead against hers “What are you doing up?” he added, softly brushing their noses together.

Camila was quiet for a second, relishing the light touch of their noses, before she quirked a soft smile. “Oscar’s only just gotten back to sleep” she mumbled “He’s been pretty grumpy since we touched down this morning, but I just got him back sleep. I heard the door” she added as she gently lifted her hand, her fingertips gently messing with the hair at the back of his neck.

Lionel lifted his head slightly, pressing a feather light kiss against her forehead before he lowered it again, resting his head against hers once more as a comfortable silence settled over the two of them. Closing his eyes, he allowed the silence to linger for a few long seconds before he stepped back, offering her a small smile. “I’m glad you’re here” he mumbled “I mean, for a little while I was pretty convinced that you were going to say no, but I’m glad that you didn’t. I am so happy to see you, Mila” he fussed quietly, his fingers grazing her hand gently.

Camila watched the movement of his fingers for a second before she opened her mouth to reply, only to be cut off by the sound of Oscar’s cries which filled the apartment, something which made her shake her head gently, a tired smile filling her face. “I guess he’s not ready to fall asleep yet” she mused.

“I can get him” Lionel suggested “I mean, I doubt I’m going to be getting to sleep any time soon. If you want me to try and settle him whilst you try and get some sleep, I can” he added.

Camila offered him a small look, briefly mulling over his offer, before she shook her head, a faint smile tugging at the corner of her mouth. “Can I sit with you too?” she asked impishly.

Lionel breathed out a soft laugh before he nodded his head, offering her a crooked smile. “I’d like that” he quipped.

“Good” Camila replied “Because I wasn’t going to take no for an answer” she added before she turned on her heel, padding down the hall.

Lionel watched after her for a second, listening to the sound of her footsteps drawing further away from him, before he shook his head, wordlessly noting just how glad he was that she had opted to make the trip over to Argentina. He knew that it was something she was nervous about, since he had broached the topic of introducing her to his mother and father, Camila had tended to try and shy away from it, but he was glad that she was there, even if he was sure that she was still nervous. Just seeing her face to face had been enough to brighten his mood slightly.

~#~
Carefully shifting his body slightly, Lionel stretched his legs out ahead of himself, being careful not to move so much that he disturbed Oscar who was curled up on his chest, his soft snores filling the otherwise quiet living room. it had been a little while, after he’d arrived back at the apartment, a little over two hours had passed, and whilst it hadn’t taken long to settle Oscar, Lionel hadn’t quite worked up the desire to move, not quite ready to move the little boy to his crib.

Closing his eyes, he let out a soft yawn before he felt movement at his side, something which caused him to lift his head, a slow smile spreading over his lips as he watched Camila stretch, pushing her messy dark hair out of her eyes. Sitting quietly for a second, he watched her yawn and stretch for a second before he shook his head, letting a soft laugh. “I told you to go back to bed” he quipped.

Camila, who’d been trying to straighten out her hair slightly, offered him a sleepy glare, something which made him laugh again, earning a small snuffle from Oscar who stirred a little on his chest.

Camila watched the two of them for a second, a fond smile on her face, before she gently shook her head. “You should go and get some sleep” she mused “I mean, the match was pretty hard and...” she trailed off as Lionel flinched, something which made her cheeks flush a soft shade of pink, worried that she had said the wrong thing.

Swallowing, she tried to think of something better to say, before she shook her head, breathing out an awkward laugh. “I’m sorry” she muttered “I thought I’d be better at this. I thought if I just didn’t talk about it, I wouldn’t upset you, but then I go and mention it and...” she trailed off, a slightly embarrassed smile on her lips.

Lionel looked up at her, his dark eyes searching the flustered expression that she wore, before he shook his head, carefully reaching for her hand before he gently knotted their fingers together, allowing him to draw the hand to his lips. “You’re doing fine” he mused “Honestly, I’m just glad to see the two of you” he added, pressing another soft kiss against the back of her hand.

Camila offered him a slightly doubtful look, something which made Lionel chuckle before he turned her hand over, allowing him to press soft kisses against her palm and the inside of her wrist. “I’ve missed you” he mumbled “You and all the awkward babbling” he added.

Camila scoffed. “You babble too” she pointed out, trying, and failing, to stifle the giddy smile which itched to spread across her face.

Lionel grinned. “You love that about me” he mused.

“I do?” Camila asked playfully.

“I hope so” Lionel quipped “Because we’ve been doing this for a while, and I don’t think it’s going to stop any time soon” he added.

Camila smiled down at him for a second before she leant towards him, pressing a soft kiss against his forehead. “I’m glad” she mused before she carefully leant down, scooping Oscar into her arms. After settling the baby, she turned back towards Lionel and offered a hand out towards him, something which caused him to smile gently before he took a hold of it, allowing her to guide him towards the bedroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)