I Know I Was for a While

38: Aren’t You Forgetting Something?

Holding the dress that she’d picked out up against herself, Camila glanced at the mirror, her dark eyes surveying the reflection critically for a moment before she shook her head, a small frustrated sound tumbling out of her mouth. She had been at it for a while, with her and Lionel due to visit his parents for lunch, she had spent almost an hour trying to pick the right outfit, but still she couldn’t settle on something to wear, even if Lionel had been quick to point out that it was a remarkably casual lunch. She had still spent a lot of time trying to ensure that she picked the right thing. She knew that it didn’t matter, the clothes that she was wearing weren’t likely to be the factor that decided whether or not Lionel’s parents warmed to her, but still she wanted to take her time, even if she knew that it wouldn’t matter. Spending time trying to choose an outfit had, albeit only slightly, distracted her from the butterflies which filled her stomach at the thought of meeting Lionel’s parents.

Messing with the hem of the dress, she studied the reflection for a second longer before she shook her head again, moving to place the dress down on top of the pile of clothes which had steadily started to form on the bed. Studying the pile, she gently leafed few it for a couple of seconds before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her ears, something which caused her cheeks to flush a soft shade of pink before she turned around, her eyes settling on Lionel who stood in the doorway, his eyes settled on the floor as a blush of his own spread across his cheeks. “Sorry” he mumbled “I thought you’d be dressed. You know that we’re supposed to leave soon, right?” he asked softly.

Camila quirked a small smile, a little amused by the shy tone of his voice, before she turned back towards the bed, shaking her head gently. “I do know that” she mused “I just...I haven’t quite been able to settle on the right thing. I don’t want to look too casual, but I also don’t want to be overdressed. I guess you could say that I was worried about making a bad first impression” she added, sparing a slightly embarrassed smile over her shoulder.

Lionel, who’d moved to lean against the door frame, smiled gently at the nervous expression on her face before he stepped across the room, his arms gently settling around her waist. Camila flinched, a little surprised by the sudden embrace, before she leant back into him slightly, her head gently settling against his shoulder. “You think I’m worrying about nothing, don’t you?” she mumbled, her dark eyes peeking up at him.

Lionel nodded. “I do” he confirmed “I mean, I get why you’re nervous, but honestly, I don’t think that there’s anything for you to be worried about. I’ve told them about you, Mila, about you and about Oscar, and they’re excited to meet you both. They know how much you mean to me” he added, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head.

Camila closed her eyes, smiling gently at the feel of his lips against her head, before she shifted her hands, softly squeezing his which were settled happily against the bare skin of her stomach. “You think they’ll like me?” she asked quietly.

Lionel didn’t hesitate in nodding. “Of course they will” he mused, hugging her a little tighter.

Camila let out a soft laugh, something which made Lionel chuckle gently in return before he leant forwards, pressing a soft kiss against her cheek. “You should get dressed” he quipped “Wear whatever you feel most comfortable in, but put it on quickly. We really do have to leave soon” he added as he dropped his arms from around her waist. Taking a couple of steps away, he paused to offer her a small reassuring smile before he stepped out of the room, something which made Camila smile gently to herself, feeling a little reassured by his confidence.

~#~
Gently shifting her grip on Oscar’s car seat, Camila shuffled her feet a little, her dark eyes fixed on Lionel who stood a little ahead of her, his finger pressing the doorbell. It had been a quiet journey, despite Lionel having soothed her nerves slightly, there was no denying that there were still butterflies in the pit of her stomach, and they had led to her being a little quiet, even if Lionel had tried to make conversation with her. She couldn’t quite get a grip on the nerves which squirmed in the pit of her stomach.

Sparing a quick look down towards Oscar, she made sure that he was still sleeping soundly before the sound of voices reached her ears, causing her whip her head up, her dark eyes widening at the sight of the older woman who was walking towards her, a warm smile spread across her face. “Hola” the older woman mused “You must be Camila” she added.

Camila blinked a couple of times before she nodded, a timid smile brightening her features. “I am” she confirmed “Camila Santos” she added, her voice shaking slightly.

Celia smiled a little, not missing the shake in the younger woman’s voice, before she stepped a little closer to her, wrapping her in a soft hug. “It’s good to finally meet you” she fussed as she stepped back “Leo’s talked about you so much in the last few months. It’s nice to finally be able to put a face to the name. I’m Celia” she added.

“Celia” Camila repeated, slightly dazed from the hug “It’s nice to meet you too” she added, her voice still uncertain.

Celia quirked another warm smile, allowing a slightly uncomfortable silence to pass between the two of them, before she stepped up to Camila’s side, gently winding her arm around the younger woman’s. “We should get inside” she mused “If we don’t soon, Leo and his father will eat everything” she added, her voice warm and lighthearted.

She could see that Camila was nervous, one look at the expression on her face confided it, and she wanted to assure her that there was nothing for her to be concerned about. They were excited to meet her, after months of listening to Lionel talk about her, and about Oscar, they were excited to finally meet the woman who seemed to make him happy, and they had little intention of trying to make things awkward for her. She made Lionel happy, one look at his face when he talked about her screamed it, and they didn’t want to ruin it for him.

Camila let out a timid laugh, something which caused Celia to squeeze her arm gently before she led her inside, guiding her through towards a dining room where Lionel sat, talking excitedly with his father. Sparing Camila a playful roll of her eyes, she cleared her throat lightly, something which caused the two men to look up at her. “Leo” she quipped “Aren’t you forgetting something?” she added, playfully nodding towards Camila.

Lionel quirked a sheepish smile before he pushed himself back to his feet, his arm gently settling around Camila’s waist. “Mama, papa, this is my girlfriend, Camila, and her son, Oscar” he mused “Mila, this is my mother, Celia, and my father, Jorge” he added, his smile softening a little as he shared a look with the brunette.

Camila smiled back at him shyly for a second before she turned towards his parents, offering them a timid wave. “Hola” she mused.

Jorge watched the two of them interact before he pushed himself up, quickly moving to greet Camila with a soft hug. Camila flinched, a little surprised by the hug, but she managed to hug him back lightly before she pulled away, offering him a small smile. “It’s good to meet you” she mused.

“And you” Jorge mused “And this little guy” he added, gesturing to Oscar with a warm smile.

Camila’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink before she shook her head, smiling shyly to herself. “You say that now” she mused “He didn’t get the best night’s sleep last night, so he’s likely to be in a pretty bad mood” she added.

Jorge laughed warmly, something which made the soft blush on Camila’s cheeks darken a shade before Celia clapped her hands together gently. “We should eat” she quipped “Mila...is it OK if I call you that?” she asked.

Camila nodded. “I prefer Mila” she mused.

Celia smiled warmly. “Mila, I hope you are hungry” she enthused.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Twisted;;Symphony for the comments :)