I Know I Was for a While

46: Of Course I Could

Resting her weight against the railing of Oscar’s crib, Camila quirked a small smile to herself, her dark eyes watching as he stirred a little in his sleep, a soft snuffle falling out of his mouth. It had been a while, after her latest confrontation with Isabel about her attempts to meddle in her relationship with Lionel, a few weeks had passed, and whilst things still felt awkward when the older woman was around, things didn’t seem to be any worse, something which relieved Camila, even if she was almost certain that it would only be a matter of time before Isabel attempted to put her nose into her business again. She had to admit that she was glad that things had deteriorated between them.

She wasn’t surprised that things were difficult, even before Noah had ended their relationship, Camila’s relationship with his parents had been a little strained and uncomfortable, and it didn’t surprise her that it had continued in the same way, especially since she had moved on so successfully with Lionel. She was merely hopeful that both Isabel and Victor would eventually be able to put their feelings for her to one side when it came to Oscar.

Gently reaching her hand out, she lightly brushed Oscar’s dark hair off of his forehead before the sound of a light tap against the bedroom door reached her ears, causing her to lift her head slightly, her dark eyes settling on Lionel who stood in the doorway, a familiar soft smile flitting around his lips.

Pausing for a second, she admired the expression on his face before she shook her head, unable to stop a smile of her own slowly spreading across her lips. “You need something?” she asked, trying, and failing, to hide her smile slightly.

Lionel quirked an eyebrow, slightly amused by the look on her face, before he nodded. “I hate to interrupt” he mused softly “But your mother is downstairs and whilst I am sure that I am probably good company, I don’t think she came over to see me. I thought I’d come and see if you were ready to come downstairs rather than send her up here” he added, his tone growing a little more teasing.

Camila frowned a little, something which caused Lionel to breathe out a soft laugh before he shook his head amusedly. “You forgot she was coming?” he quipped.

Camila scoffed, but didn’t deny it, something which caused Lionel to let out another laugh. “I can get rid of her” he offered “I mean, she seemed pretty excited to be here, but if you need me to go downstairs and make excuses...” he trailed off amusedly.

Camila glanced at him for a moment, mulling over his offer, before she shook her head. “I should go down there” she mused “I mean, she’s been pretty busy recently and we’ve not seen much of each other. I should probably at least show my face. You’ll join us?” she added.

Lionel blinked a couple of times, a little caught off guard by the question, before he shook his head, a nervous laugh falling out of his mouth. “You want me to?” he asked.

It wasn’t a first, with him and Camila having known one another for a while before they’d started to date, he had spent time with Lucille before, but still he wanted to ask if Camila was sure about him joining them, still a little more nervous around the older woman than he wanted to admit to. He knew that Lucille liked him, even before he and Camila had started seeing one another, the older woman had always been nice to him, but still he found himself a little apprehensive around her, even if both Lucille and Camila had been quick to assure him that he had nothing to be worried about. He still couldn’t seem to shake the nerves which twitched in his stomach,

Camila quirked a soft smile at the sound of his nervous laugh before she nodded. “Why not?” she quipped.

Lionel offered her a slightly uncertain look, something which made Camila step towards him, her fingertips gently pushing back through his dark hair. “You don’t have to look so worried” she mused “I mean, I know she can be a little overwhelming, but she likes you. I mean, how could she not?” she added, her voice caught between teasing and soft.

Lionel, who’d closed his eyes at her touch, mulled her words over for a couple of seconds before he nodded his head, offering her a small smile, something Camila returned gently before she moved to take a hold of his hand, guiding him out of the room and down the stairs.

~#~
“Are you sure that I can’t get you anything else, Lucille?” Lionel asked politely from his spot beside the couch, his dark eyes settled on his girlfriend’s mother who sat a little away from him, chatting quietly to Camila. It had been a pleasant evening, even despite Lionel’s obvious nerves, the conversation had flown easily between the three of them as they’d sat down to dinner, and it pleased Lionel, even if he had found himself babbling awkwardly a few times. He was pleased by how the evening had gone.

Lucille, who’d been happily chatting with Camila, grinned a little at the tone of Lionel’s voice before she turned to look at him, offering him a small shake of her head. “I’m alright” she mused.

Lionel nodded. “Mila?” he asked, flicking his stare towards the brunette.

Camila, who sat with her back towards him, spared him a glance over her shoulder before she shook her head. “I’m OK” she mused “But, if you are going to kitchen, would you mind ducking upstairs to check in on Oscar? I know he’s not stirred but...” she trailed off as she spotted the small grin at the corner of Lionel’s mouth, something which caused her cheeks to flush a soft shade of pink.

Lionel admired the soft hint of pink on her cheeks for a second before he nodded. “I’ll check on him” he mused before he ducked out of the room.

Camila watched after him for a moment, unable to stifle her smile, before she turned back towards her mother, her blush darkening as she spotted a familiar smirk on her mother’s lips. Rolling her eyes, she ducked her head slightly, her fingertips fiddling with the ends of her hair shyly. “What?” she mumbled.

Lucille grinned. “Nothing” she mused “I just...I like him, Mila, I really like him” she insisted.

“Really?” Camila squeaked.

Lucille nodded. “I’ve always liked him” she mused “I mean, there’s always been a lot to like about him and that was before everything he did for you when you started to stay here, which only made me like him more, but the more I see of the two of you together, the more convinced I get that it’s only going to be a matter of time before he starts thinking about asking you a certain something” she added, a mischievous glint in her eye.

Camila scoffed quietly. “It’s only been a few months, mama” she pointed out.

“I know” Lucille quipped “But it wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen eventually, would it?” she added.

“Mama...”

“Humor me” Lucille quipped, interrupting her daughter’s complaints “I know it’s still early, and I know that you and Lionel, you’re being careful and taking your time, and I like that, but just humor me for a second. Is it something you could see with him?” she asked gently.

She knew what Camila was going to say, she knew that she was going to insist that it was too early for the two of them to be thinking too far ahead of themselves, but still Lucille couldn’t help but be a little curious, even if she knew it was a way off. She wondered if it was something that had crossed Camila’s mind, even for a fleeting moment. There was something about them, both Camila and Lionel seemed to light up when they so much looked at the other, and Lucille adored seeing it, even if she had had her doubts about them to begin with. There was no denying that there was something wonderful between the two of them, something she wanted to see last for a while to come yet.

Camila spared her mother a look, mulling over the question for a long second, before she quirked a bashful smile, her fingers still twisting in the ends of her hair. “I think so” she admitted quietly “I mean, it’s still only been a few months, and if he asked right now, I think I’d hesitate, but it’d be hard to say no, mama. He’s Leo, mama, he’s shy and he’s got this really cute nervous laugh. He makes me smile and laugh, and he’s the only person I want to see when I’m upset, and I love him, more than I think I’ve loved anyone else. I want to be careful with him, I don’t want us to rush and ruin something which is going so well, but could I see it one day? Of course I could, mama” she insisted gently, her eyes fixed on her lap.

Lucille admired the soft smile which lit up her daughter’s face before she leant forwards, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her daughter’s head. “I hope you get there, sweetheart” she mused.

Camila smiled gently at her mother’s words before the sound of Oscar’s cries filled the air, causing her to shake her head. “I should...”

“I’ll see myself out” Lucille interrupted.

Camila flashed her a small grateful smile before she slipped out of the room, leaving her mother smiling after her, more than glad to see how happy her daughter was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1 and FootieJo for the comments :)