I Know I Was for a While

47: Hello

Running a hand back through her messy dark hair, Camila squeezed her eyes closed, a soft yawn tumbling out of her mouth. It had been a long night, with Oscar having started to teeth, both Camila and Lionel had been up for a lot of the night, trying to soothe the little boy, and despite him having fallen asleep a little while previous, Camila had opted to stay up, not wanting to disturb Lionel who’d only returned to bed a little while before Oscar had fallen back to sleep. Allowing another soft yawn to slip out of her mouth, she turned towards the kitchen counter and moved to flick the kettle on, allowing its soft rumble to fill air.

Closing her eyes, she listened to the soft sound for a few seconds before she felt a light touch against her waist, something which caused her to flinch before she blinked her eyes open, sparing a glance over her shoulder towards Lionel who stood close behind her, a sleepy smile on his face. Quirking a tired smile of her own, she leant back into his embrace for a couple of moments before Lionel shifted slightly, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head. “You didn’t come back up” he mumbled into her hair.

Camila, who’d been moving his arms around her waist, shrugged. “I didn’t want to disturb you” she replied “You only went back up a couple of hours ago and I didn’t want to wake you. You were up pretty late and you’ve still got to go to training later” she added.

Lionel smiled against her head. “You didn’t have to do that” he mumbled.

Camila merely shrugged, something which made Lionel breathe out a soft laugh before he shifted his head, pressing a soft kiss against the side of her neck. Allowing a few moments of quiet to pass between, Lionel scattered a few soft kisses over her warm skin before he pulled back slightly, resting his chin on the top of her head. “I’m not due in training until this afternoon” he mumbled, disturbing the comfortable silence which lingered between the two of them.

Camila, who’d been quietly enjoying their embrace, startled a little at the soft sound of his voice. “Hm?” she posed.

“I’ve got the morning off” Lionel rephrased gently “And, providing that Oscar feels up to it, we could go out and get some breakfast if you want to. I mean, we could just stay here if you’d prefer, but I think it’s a pretty good idea, no?” he babbled, his voice a little tentative and shy.

Camila smiled a little, amused by the tentative tone of his voice, before she gently nodded her head, her hands softly squeezing his which rested on her stomach. “I think I’d like that” she mused “I mean, I can’t speak for Oscar who’s probably still going to be pretty grumpy, but I think it sounds nice” she added warmly.

“You sure?” Lionel asked “I mean, we could easily just stay here” he offered.

Camila nodded. “I’d love to go” she mused.

Lionel tilted his head slightly, offering her a slightly uncertain look, before he flashed her a crooked smile, something which made Camila smile back at him for a few seconds before the sound of Oscar’s cries filled the air, something which caused Lionel to shake his head playfully. “I’ll get him” he mused.

“You sure?” Camila asked.

Lionel nodded “I’m sure” he quipped “Besides, it takes you longer to get ready than me. You need the time more than I do” he added cheekily before he stepped out of the room.

Camila rolled her eyes before she shook her head, smiling to herself gently, something she found herself doing more and more frequently.

~#~
“Is he still awake?” Camila asked as she spared a brief look into the pram that Lionel pushed ahead of him, her dark eyes watching as Oscar stirred a little, letting out a quiet grumble. It had been a nice morning, even despite Oscar’s bad mood, the breakfast that she and Lionel had gone out for had been nice and relaxed, and Camila had liked how comfortable it had felt. She liked just how at ease both she and Lionel seemed to be. It had taken a little time, after Oscar’s arrival, things had felt a little tentative between them for a while, but since they’d made their living situation official, the two of them appeared to have relaxed into things slightly, even if they were both still a little awkward and timid around one another from time to time. Both of them seemed to be settling into things well.

Lionel, who’d been walking alongside her, followed her stare into the pram before he nodded. “It appears so” he quipped “You want to keep going until he falls asleep?” he asked.

Camila nodded, stifling a yawn into her hand. “He needs the sleep” she mused.

Lionel quirked an amused smile. “You look like you could use it too” he quipped.

Camila offered him a small glare before another soft yawn fell out of her mouth, something which merely made Lionel’s smile soften before he slowed to a stop. “I can take him” he mused “You can stay here, maybe grab yourself another coffee or something” he added, nodding towards the café that he’d stopped outside of.

Camila shook her head. “You don’t have to do that” she mused.

Lionel nodded. “I know that” he noted “But it shouldn’t take too long. He’s almost asleep” he added, sparing a look down towards Oscar who, as if on cue, let out a soft yawn.

Camila followed his stare, marveling at Oscar’s soft yawn for a second, before she lifted her head, catching Lionel’s eye. “You don’t mind?” she asked.

Lionel didn’t hesitate in shaking his head. “We’ll be fine” he insisted.

Camila offered him a slightly dubious look, briefly contemplating telling him that she’d go along with him, before another soft yawn fell out of her mouth, something which made her shake her head, a small laugh falling out of her mouth. “OK” she mused “I’ll be here” she added.

Lionel nodded dutifully. “We will be back” he quipped before he leant over, pressing a soft kiss against her cheek before he walked away.

Camila watched him and Oscar away for a few seconds before she turned, stepping into the café that they’d stopped outside of. Taking a few paces inside, she quickly located an empty table before she stepped towards it, slipping into one of the chairs which stood beside it. After slipping her jacket off of her shoulders, she turned and collected one of the menus which sat on the table before she flipped it open, scanning over its selection for a few seconds.

Perusing the menu, she spared a brief glance around the café before the sound of someone calling her name reached her ears, something which caused her to look up, her dark eyes settling on a blonde woman who had stopped beside the table, a bright smile on her face. “Camila Santos” she mused “Where’ve you been hiding, eh? It’s been too long” she fussed.

Camila swallowed, forcing a smile onto her face. “It’s good to see you too, Amelia” she mused politely.

Amelia grinned but didn’t get another word out as a man stepped up to her side, two cups clutched in his hands. “You ready to go, Lia?” he asked, not sparing a look down towards the table.

Camila, who’d been shyly trying to avoid Amelia’s gaze, stiffened a little at the sound of his voice before she lifted her head, her stomach twisting as her dark eyes looked up at him. “Noah?” she breathed.

Noah, who’d been looking at Amelia, visibly stilled for a split second before he slowly turned his head, his eyes mirroring Camila’s. “Cami” he breathed “Hello” he added, stuck for anything better to say.

Camila merely stared up at him, stuck for what to say or do next.