I Know I Was for a While

48: That’s Not Him

For a few long seconds, Camila merely stared up at Noah, trying to force any kind of sound of her mouth. She wanted to say a lot to him, from the second that her eyes had landed on him, she had had the urge merely to scream at him, but instead she had opted to take a few seconds, not wanting to let him see that something as simple as the two of them being in the same place at the same time was enough to get to her. It had been a long time, after Noah had ended their relationship, they’d not seen or spoken to one another, but still the sight of him was enough to unsettle her, even if she knew that things had worked out for the better for her, and for Oscar, since Noah had ended things.

Blinking a couple of times, she watched as Noah wordlessly encouraged Amelia to leave before he awkwardly cleared his throat, something which made Camila shake her head. “You don’t have anything to say to me?” she breathed, watching as Amelia skittered away.

“Cami...”

“My name is Camila” Camila interrupted, her voice a little firmer than she had been expecting “I told you a thousand times that I hated being called Cami when we were together, and yet you never corrected yourself. My name is Camila, Noah” she insisted, her eyes meeting his as she spoke.

Noah held her stare for a split second before he dropped his stare, nodding his head slightly. “Camila” he corrected quietly.

Camila watched him for a second, expecting him to say something else, but when he didn’t, she shook her head, a quiet scoff falling out of her mouth. “Don’t you even want to ask?” she pressed.

“Camila...”

“I had your son, Noah” Camila interrupted “Did you even know I’d had a boy?” she pressed.

Noah merely nodded, not even attempting to meet her eyes.

Camila watched him for a second before she shook her head, another scoff falling out of her mouth. “Aren’t you going say anything, Noah?” she pressed.

“What do you want me to say, Camila?” Noah retorted “I told you how I felt about the pregnancy when you told me about it. I told you that I didn’t want to be involved and that...that’s not changed. I’m glad that the baby is Ok, I really am, but it still doesn’t change things” he insisted gently.

Camila merely stared at him for a few seconds, allowing another uncomfortable silence to pass between them momentarily, before she watched Noah glance over his shoulder, sparing a brief look towards Amelia who stood a little away from them. Watching him for a moment, she quietly shook her head before she leant over, collecting her jacket from its place on the back of her chair.

“You’re the one who’s missing out” Camila mused, wrapping the jacket around her shoulders “Because my son...he’s the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me. He’s gorgeous, and clever, and sweet, and if you can sleep at night knowing that you turned your back on him without even meeting him, then you simply don’t deserve to have him in your life. He deserves better than you” she added, her voice calm and even.

Noah glanced at her, allowing her words to hang around them for a few long seconds, before he noticed Camila’s stare drifting past him, a soft smile starting to pull the corner of her lips upwards. Frowning slightly, he turned to spare a glance over his shoulder, his eyes settling on Lionel who stood a small distance away from them, a pushchair in front of him. Sparing the argentine, and the pram, a quick look he shook his head slightly before he turned back to Camila, something which made the brunette smile pleasantly before she stepped past him, moving towards Lionel and Oscar.

Noah watched her as she walked toward Lionel, his expression twitching slightly as he watched her place a soft kiss against his cheek, before he shook his head, quickly following Amelia out of the café.

Lionel watched after the other couple for a moment, allowing the door of the café to close, before he turned to Camila. “Mila...”

“I’m fine” Camila cut in with a soft smile, not missing the tone of his voice.

Lionel blinked a couple of times, surprised that she had interrupted him, before he offered her a slightly uncertain look, something which made Camila shake her head before she gently took a hold of his hand, guiding him towards a table which stood a little away from them. Sitting down, she watched him settled Oscar’s pram beside the table, before she shifted their hands, messing with his fingers gently. “I wanted to scream at him” she mumbled after a few moments of quiet.

Lionel, who’d been watching her play with his fingers, smiled at her gently. “I’d have liked to see that” he quipped.

Camila rolled her eyes playfully.

“You sure that you’re OK?” Lionel asked, his voice softening slightly.

Camila glanced at him for a second, mulling over the question, before she nodded her head slowly, a faint smile on her face. “He made up his mind a long time ago” she mused “And whilst I will never understand how he couldn’t even want to meet Oscar, I am not going to waste my time trying to convince him that he ought to change it. Oscar deserves someone that wants to be around for him, he deserves someone that would drop the world for him, and that’s not Noah” she added, her dark eyes mirroring Lionel’s as her small smile grew a little wider.

Lionel met her eyes for a split second before he shook his head, trying, and failing, to hide the soft hint of pink which had been quick to spread over his cheeks.

Camila’s smile grew wider as she spotted the blush on his cheeks. Shaking her head, she marveled at the soft look on his face for a few seconds before she leant over the table slightly, pressing a soft kiss against his cheek. Lionel closed his eyes at the feel of her lips against his skin before he shifted his head slightly, his lips tentatively brushing over Camila’s.

Camila hesitated, caught off guard by the light kiss, before she tentatively kissed him back, her soft smile still stuck on her face. It wasn’t how she had pictured things working out, when she had first spotted the word ‘pregnant’ on the positive test, she had been almost certain that it would only cement things between her and Noah, but she couldn’t deny that she was happy, even if it wasn’t how she’d seen things working out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and mslou1 for the comments :)