I Know I Was for a While

53: They Don’t Have Much Of A Choice

Gently tightening the ponytail that she wore her hair in, Camila allowed a soft yawn to slip out of her mouth, her dark eyes sparing a brief glance towards the mirror which sat ahead of her. It had been a long day, with her and Oscar having woken Lionel up early, she found herself slightly more tired than usual, and whilst a large part of her merely wanted to curl up on the couch in front of a film for a while, she knew that she couldn’t, knowing that it would only be a matter of time before Isabel and Victor appeared at the front door wanting to see their grandson.

It had been an awkward conversation, with Isabel wanting to spend as much time as she could with Oscar on his first Christmas, the conversation that Camila had had with her to ask her and Victor to visit in the evening had been slightly uncomfortable for the brunette, but she knew that it was necessary, even if Isabel had grumbled slightly. It was a special day, not only for her and Oscar, but for her and Lionel as well, and she hadn’t wanted to spend it walking on eggshells, even if she knew how much seeing Oscar meant to his grandparents. She had tried to come up with a solution that had suited everyone.

Studying her slightly tired appearance for a few seconds, she gently tucked a few loose hairs off of her face before the sound of a light knock against the door frame reached her ears, causing her to lift her head slightly, her eyes catching sight of Lionel in the mirror’s reflection. “What are you doing up here?” she asked “Is everything Ok?” she added.

Lionel, who’d been quietly watching her from his spot in the doorway, quirked a small smile at her question before he nodded. “Isabel and Victor have just arrived” he noted “And I figured I’d come and see where you were. I doubt they’re looking forwards to spending time with me” he added, deliberately trying to keep his voice light.

Camila, who’d turned back to fussing over her hair, smiled at him via the mirror. “You’re not sticking around?” she asked, her voice caught between teasing and curious.

Lionel caught the hint of curiosity in her voice before he shrugged. “I can do” he offered “I mean, I don’t know what it will do to relax things, but if you want me to come down with you, I will do. You know that” he added, holding her eyes via the mirror.

They tended to avoid it, with their relationship being something which Isabel and Victor tended to focus on, both he and Camila often opted to ensure that he spent as little time with Noah’s parents as they, not wanting to take focus away from Oscar, but he wanted her to know that, if she wanted him there, he’d be with her, even if it was likely to make things more awkward. He wanted her to know that, if she asked him to be, he’d be there without hesitation.

Camila held his stare for a second, allowing his words to hang around them, before she turned to look at him, a soft smile spreading across her lips. “I do know that” she mused “But it’s alright, I’m sure I can handle it. Besides, aren’t your parents going to be calling home soon?” she asked.

Lionel offered her a slightly dubious look, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before he nodded his head. “They are” he mused “And it ought to keep them busy for a little while, but even if they do finish early, I’ve told them to stay up here until they’re gone” he explained as he took a pace towards her, his fingertips just barely grazing against her hand.

Camila smiled a little at the light touch, her fingers lightly grazing his, before she looked up at him. “It’ll get easier, won’t it?” she asked “I mean, I know why it’s difficult for them, and I’ve tried to be understanding, but they’ll get used to how things are eventually, won’t they?” she added gently.

Lionel, who’d been staring down at their hands, lifted his head at the sound of her voice before he offered her a crooked smile. “They don’t have much of a choice” he mused “I’m not going anywhere” he added firmly

Camila’s small smile widened a little, not missing the certainty in his voice, before the sound of Isabel’s voice calling her name reached her ears, something which caused her to heave out a playful sigh. “That’s my cue” she mused.

Lionel nodded his head. “I’m sure Oscar will love more people making a fuss of him” he mused encouragingly.

Camila rolled her eyes lightheartedly, mumbling a comment about Oscar already having everyone he’d met wrapped around his little finger, before she leant into him, stealing a quick kiss before she stepped out of the room. Padding towards the top of the stairs, she hesitated for a couple of seconds, listening to the sounds of Isabel and Victor’s, before she stepped down them, making her way into the living room where the older couple sat, making a fuss of Oscar who sat on the floor ahead of them, happily playing with one of his toys.

Sparing a look at her son, she quirked a doting smile before she turned towards the older couple, greeting them with a timid wave. “Isabel, Victor” she mused “Merry Christmas” she added.

Victor, who’d been arranging a small pile of presents of the floor ahead of him, looked up at the sound of her voice before he took a quick look around, clearly checking for Lionel.

Camila’s polite smile faltered a little at his reaction, but she didn’t comment on it, instead opting to gesture at the gifts that he’d arranged at his feet. “These are for Oscar?” she asked brightly, hoping to spark a conversation to alleviate that awkward silence which always seemed to linger when they were in a room together.

Isabel nodded. “We thought we’d spoil him a little” she mused “Though, it seems like we weren’t the only ones” she added, sparing a tight smile towards the pile of toys and clothes which sat across the room.

Camila breathed out a slightly nervous laugh. “I might have gone a little overboard” she mused lightheartedly.

Isabel merely offered her another tight smile, something which made Camila shift a little before she stepped forwards, sitting down next to Oscar. “You ready to open a few more presents, little one?” she asked, gently lifting the little boy into her lap.

Oscar squirmed a little, not liking being moved away from his toys, before he settled down, allowing Camila to lift one of his presents into her grasp. Offering it out to him, she lightly tore the paper away, showing off the toy that his grandparents had bought for him. “Isn’t this lovely?” she gushed.

Oscar settled his little hands on it before a smile bloomed across his face, something which made Isabel coo softly. “How has your day been?” Camila asked, trying once more to spark a conversation.

Victor, who’d been watching her quietly, offered her a nonchalant shrug. “It was nice” he quipped “We had Noah and his girlfriend over” he added.

Camila’s expression flinched, despite her best efforts to keep it from doing so, before she nodded her head, fixing a polite smile. “I’m glad that it was good” she mused as brightly as she could.

Victor opened his mouth to speak again, a slight smirk playing on his face, but Isabel was quicker, cutting him with a sharp nudge to his ribs. “What about you?” she asked “I mean, how was Oscar’s day?” she added, a polite smile on her lips.

Camila allowed a frown to pull at her lips, not missing the exchange between Noah’s parents, before she shook her head. “It was lovely” she mused “I mean, it’s been a pretty hectic, and he’s been up since about 6:30 this morning, but he seems to have had a good time. He’s had a lot of people making a fuss of him” she fussed, offering Oscar a soft hug, something which made the baby grin once more.

Isabel admired the little boy’s smile for a second before she shook her head, her own smile softening. “He’s got Noah’s smile” she fussed quietly.

Camila, who’d been fussing over Oscar, fell quiet, something which allowed a heavy silence to fall over the room, one which made her stomach turn before she let out a quiet sight to herself, wordlessly hoping that things started to get easier between all of them sooner rather than later.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)