I Know I Was for a While

70: It's Just A Question, It Can Wait

“Are sure that you’d not rather go out?” Camila asked from her spot on the couch, her eyes watching as Lionel padded into the living room, a mug of tea that he’d thoughtfully made for her cradled in his hands. It had been a little while, after they’d shared the news of her pregnancy with their families, a couple of weeks had passed, and with both of their birthdays falling within a few days of one and other, they’d arranged for Lucille to babysit for the night, meaning that they had a night to themselves, something which, much to Camila’s surprise, Lionel had suggested that they spent at home.

They didn’t have them often, with Lucille often being busy with work, and Camila still slightly apprehensive around Isabel and Victor, nights for just the two of them were few and far between, and she had been slightly surprised when Lionel had suggested that they spend it at home, even if a small part of her was grateful for it. She had assumed that he’d want to make the most of their night alone.

Lionel, who’d moved to place the tea down onto the coffee table, turned to look at her, a slightly crooked smile on his face. “Do you really want to go and get changed?” he asked, gesturing to the t-shirt of his and pair of shorts that she wore.

Camila followed his gesture, admiring her outfit for a couple of seconds, before she shrugged. “I could” she mused “I mean, if you wanted me to. I just... I don’t want you to feel as though we have to stay in. It’s supposed to be a special night, no? If you want to, it’s not too late to go out” she insisted, her fingers shyly pushing her hair off of her face.

Lionel watched her for a second, admiring the shy movement of her fingers, before he stepped towards the couch, gently settling down into the seat at her side. “Do you want to?” he asked.

Camila shrugged, a soft smile on her face. “I don’t mind” she mused “I mean, the idea of spending the evening here, curled up in front of the television, has its appeal, but if you want me to go upstairs and find a dress that doesn’t make me look awful, I am sure I could do it given some time” she added, sparing a slightly self-conscious glance down towards her bump.

Lionel followed her stare, marveling a little at the sight of the small bump that she carried, before he lifted his stare back towards her face, a gentle smile pulling at the corner of his lips. “Firstly, you don’t look awful in anything” he mused softly “And secondly, I am pretty smitten with the idea of spending the night here, doing nothing. I mean, it’s just the two of us, we could order some food, watch some films...it sounds like a pretty wonderful time to me” he enthused, his expression growing slightly sheepish.

Camila quirked a small smile, trying, and failing, to stifle the blush which itched to spread across her cheeks. “Really?” she asked.

Lionel nodded, a faint blush spreading over his cheeks. “What can I say?” he quipped “I guess I kind of like you” he added, his voice caught between soft and teasing.

Camila let out a soft laugh, amused by both his teasing and his shyness, before she leant towards him, brushing a soft kiss against his cheek. Smiling gently, she allowed her lips to linger for a couple of seconds before she pulled away from him, mumbling something about finding them some menus as she padded out of the room, leaving Lionel smiling softly to himself in her wake.

~#~
“So” Lionel mumbled quietly “A boy or a girl?” he added, his fingertips lazily tracing shapes into the bare skin of Camila’s stomach. it had been a good night, after they’d agreed to stay in, they’d enjoyed a good dinner and had watched a couple of films together, but with it starting to get a little late, they’d retired to their bedroom, even if neither of them was quite ready to fall asleep yet. Lionel was pretty sure that it would only be a matter of time before Camila’s eyelids started to droop.

Camila, who was quietly reading a book, blinked a couple of times, surprised by the sound of his voice, before she lifted her head, tilting it slightly. “Hm?” she hummed.

“The baby” Lionel clarified gently “A boy or a girl?” he added, gently settling his palm over her bump.

Camila glanced down at his hand for a second, mulling over the question, before she gently shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know” she mused “I mean, I never really had any inklings with Oscar. I would kind of like a little girl, though” she admitted gently.

Lionel quirked a small lopsided smile. “A little girl” he murmured softly, his thumb brushing against her skin.

Camila watched the movement of his thumb for a second, allowing a couple of beats of silence to pass between the two of them, before she gently shifted her hand, covering his. “Leo?” she murmured.

Lionel looked up at the sound of his name, his dark eyes mirroring hers. “Hm?” he asked.

Camila held his stare for a second, her dark eyes searching his, before she shook her head, her hand patting his. “It’s nothing” she mumbled.

Lionel’s forehead furrowed. “What is it, Mila?” he pressed gently.

Camila shook her head, her hand shyly messing with his. “It’s just a question” she mumbled “But it can hold. I don’t have to...”

“Ask me” Lionel interrupted, offering her a reassuring smile.

Camila studied the look on his face, briefly contemplating insisting that it wasn’t important, before she gently shook her head, a soft sigh tumbling out of her mouth. “Things won’t change, will they?” she murmured gently “I mean, this baby...our baby...I don’t want them to change things between you and Oscar” she added, her voice more than a little uncertain.

Lionel blinked a couple of times, surprised by the question, before he quickly shook his head. “Mila...”

“He just...he adores you, Leo” Camila cut in gently “And I just...I don’t think it will but...I just...”

“It’s not going to change a thing” Lionel interrupted gently “I mean, it will be different, but me and Oscar? That’s not something that’s going to change just because of this one. I think the world of him, Mila, and you know that. Yes, I am looking forwards to this little one coming along, but it’s not going to change things between me and Oscar, I promise you” he insisted softly, his thumb gently bushing against her skin.

Camila watched the movement of his thumb for a moment, allowing his words to hang in the air, before she quirked a soft smile, something Lionel was quick to mirror before he leant up, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. Camila held onto him for a few seconds, enjoying the soft kiss, before she gently pulled back, keeping their foreheads pressed together. “What about you?” she murmured quietly.

“Huh?” Lionel asked.

“A boy or a girl?” Camila asked, her fingertips lightly brushing against his jaw.

Lionel leant into the touch, a soft smile on his lips. “I’d love a boy” he admitted gently.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)