I Know I Was for a While

72: I Lost A Bet

Hiding a small smile behind the mug of tea that she was sipping on, Camila rested her shoulder against the doorframe, her eyes settled on Lionel and Oscar who were sat in the centre of her bed, babbling happily to one another as Lionel attempted to pack the bag which sat ahead of them, his clothes still strewn around it. It had been a while, after she and Lionel had celebrated their birthdays, a few weeks had passed, and with Barcelona due to head off for their preseason tour, Lionel had spent a lot of time packing, something which had grown to include Oscar when Camila had told him that she was in need of a nap, something which was becoming more and more frequent as her pregnancy progressed.

Taking another sip of her drink, she watched as Lionel placed one of his t-shirts into Oscar’s lap before he folded it neatly, something which made Oscar grin up at him, babbling excitedly. Keeping quiet, she watched the two of them for a few seconds longer before she gently lifted her hand, tapping it lightly against the doorframe.

Lionel, who’d moved to place the folded shirt into his bag, looked up at the sound of the knock before he quirked a small grin, a slight blush spreading over his cheeks. “I thought you were still sleeping” he mumbled “I mean, we came down for a snack about half an hour ago and you were still snoring on the couch. Is everything Ok” he added, a hint of concern in his voice.

Camila smiled gently, not missing the worry in his voice, before she nodded her head. “Everything’s fine” she mused “I just woke up. Baby’s moving a lot” she fussed, her eyes sparing a brief glance down towards her stomach.

Lionel followed the line of her stare, marveling at the bump as a soft smile flitted around his lips. “He is?” he asked.

“Or she” Camila corrected with a playful roll of her eyes.

Lionel breathed out a bashful laugh. “Or she” he agreed.

Camila merely smiled at him for a moment, allowing the soft sound of his laugh to linger, before she felt a small movement in her stomach, something which caused her to shift her hand, gently settling it against the front of her shirt.

Lionel, who’d turned back to Oscar, caught her movement out of the corner of his eye. “You Ok?” he asked.

Camila nodded, her thumb lightly brushing against her bump. “Fine” she mused “He or she is just moving around again” she added, her voice soft and giddy. It wasn’t the first movement that she had felt, in the last couple of weeks, she had felt many little shifts and kicks, but still it amazed her slightly, even if it wasn’t her first pregnancy. She still couldn’t quite wrap her head around the idea that there were only a few short months separating them from the baby’s first appearance.

Lionel’s expression softened a little at the excitement in her voice before he gently reached his hand out, wordlessly encouraging her to step a little closer to him. Camila spared a look towards his hand, briefly contemplating rolling her eyes and making a joke, before she stepped a little closer to him, allowing him to settle his hand against her stomach.

Oscar, who was still sat ahead of Lionel, gently tugged on the argentine’s shirt. “Papa” he mumbled.

Lionel, who’d been enjoying the soft feel of the baby’s movements against the palm of his hand, blinked a couple of times at the sound of the little boy’s voice before he looked down at him, his expression softening into a slightly apologetic smile. “Lo siento, Oscar” he mused.

Oscar merely pouted for a second, cuddling into Lionel slightly.

Lionel hugged him back gently before he spared a brief look up towards Camila, offering her a small smile. “We were busy” he quipped “Do you think you could...” he trailed off, his voice warm and playful.

Camila rolled her eyes slightly, but didn’t hesitate in nodding her head, a warm smile of her own spreading across her lips. “I’ll leave you boys to it” she mused “Just remember, his nana’s going to be here in a little while so that we can get to our appointment” she added as she leant forwards pressing a quick kiss against both Oscar and Lionel’s head.

Lionel let out a familiar bashful laugh. “You think I could forget that?” he quipped.

Camila shrugged her shoulders playfully before she stepped out of the room, more than looking forwards to the afternoon ahead of them.

~#~
“You still look relaxed, Leo” Tessa grinned as she sat down beside the ultrasound, offering a playful look towards the argentine who was sat up beside Camila, his hand gently holding onto hers.

Lionel, who’d been happily messing with Camila’s fingers, rolled his eyes, an amused grin on his lips. “You’re really not going to let it go, are you?” he asked.

Tessa merely shrugged playfully, something which caused Lionel to roll his eyes once more, before he turned towards Camila, offering her hand a soft reassuring squeeze.

Camila smiled back at him gently, wordlessly thanking him for the reassurance, before she felt Tessa push her shirt up. “Are you two thinking about finding out the sex today?” the midwife moved, gently folding Camila’s shirt up away from her stomach.

Lionel and Camila were quiet for a few seconds, their eyes searching one another’s, before Lionel turned towards the midwife, offering her a boyish grin. “If we can know, we’d like to” he mused.

Tessa blinked a couple of times, a little surprised by the response, before she nodded, moving to run the ultrasound scanner over Camila’s stomach. Both Camila and Lionel watched midwife’s movements, their hands clinging tightly to one another, before a familiar thumping sound filled the air, causing the two of them to breathe out soft laughs in relief.

Tessa smiled a little at the sound of their nervous laughter before she turned to look at them. “You’re sure about knowing?” she asked.

Camila nodded, gently rolling her eyes. “I lost a bet with him weeks ago” she complained playfully.

Tessa laughed, not missing the soft blush that had quickly spread across Lionel’s cheeks as he grumbled a quiet comment beneath his breath, before she gently shook her head. “I’m really glad I get to be the one to tell you this” she fussed “Baby’s a little boy” she gushed.

Lionel tilted his head. “What?” he spluttered.

Tessa grinned. “Baby’s a boy” she repeated “Oscar’s going to have a little brother” she added.

Lionel stared at the midwife for a seconds, trying to process her words, before he shook his head, trying, and failing, to hide the goofy smile which was quick to light up his features. “A boy” he repeated quietly, a slightly awed laugh falling out of his mouth.

Camila just smiled at him, something which made him laugh again, a sound that she had always loved hearing.