I Know I Was for a While

75: You Sound Like You’ve Missed Them

Gently pushing the bedroom door closed behind himself, Lionel rested against it for a few seconds, his dark eyes settled on Camila who was settled in the bed a little away from him, her soft snores echoing in the otherwise quiet bedroom. He was late, with the team’s flight having been delayed for a few hours, his arrival home had been pushed back from early in the evening until quite late at night, and whilst he knew that she needed the sleep, he was slightly disappointed that she wasn’t awake. A part of him had been counting down until he saw her since he’d woken up that morning. Hesitating for a couple of seconds, he watched her sleep before he gently shook his head, moving to quietly pull the bedroom door open once more.

“Papa”

Lionel, who’d been trying his hardest to be quiet, stilled a little at the sound of Oscar’s voice before he turned around, his dark eyes settling on the little boy who was sat on the bed beside Camila, his little hands rubbing his eyes sleepily. Watching him for a second, Lionel quirked a small smile before he stepped towards the bed, settling down on the edge of it. “Hey, little one” he greeted softly.

Oscar let out a soft yawn before he shuffled towards Lionel slightly, something which encouraged the argentine to lift him up, hugging him gently.

Oscar grumbled for a second before he gently settled his head against Lionel’s shoulder, his doe brown eyes blinking sleepily.

Lionel smiled a little, allowing a few seconds of quiet to pass, before he gently shook his head. “You’re supposed to be asleep, you know” he mumbled softly “I mean, your mama, she probably got you all settled before she fell asleep and I doubt she’s going to happy that you’re awake now. You’ll be all grumpy in the morning” he added as he pushed himself back to his feet, padding towards the bedroom door.

He was trying to be quiet, with Camila’s soft snores still filling the air, he was trying to keep as quiet as he could so that he wouldn’t disturb her, but he knew better than to stay in the bedroom, even if Oscar had been quiet thus far. The look on his face told him that it was only a matter of time before he started to grumble or cry. Shuffling across the bedroom, he quietly pulled the door open before he padded out into the hall, making his way towards Oscar’s bedroom as a soft yawn of his own tumbled out of his mouth.

~#~
Wrinkling her nose slightly, Camila gently rolled onto her back, a soft sigh slipping out of her mouth. She could tell that it was still early, one look around the still dark bedroom told her that, at the very latest, it was the early hours of the morning, and she was annoyed to be awake again, even if it was a something which happened often.

Squeezing her eyes closed for a couple of seconds, she tried to will herself to fall back to sleep before she let out a quiet huff, gently turning onto her side. Rubbing her eyes sleepily, she stared at the empty side of the bed for a few seconds before realization hit her, something which caused her to hurry to her feet. Swallowing, she quickly made her way out of the bedroom and across the hall before she let out a soft sigh of relief, her stare landing on Lionel who was sat in the chair beside Oscar’s crib, his eyes fixed on the screen of his phone.

Quirking a sleepy smile, she watched him for a few seconds before she lightly cleared her throat, something which caused Lionel to look up, a soft smile quickly spreading across his face. “I didn’t expect to see you until tomorrow” he mused gently.

“I could say the same to you” Camila replied quietly “I thought you were supposed to be back earlier” she added.

“We were” Lionel confirmed “But there were delays and we didn’t get back until a little after midnight. I’ve been sat in here for a while” he added, sparing a brief look towards Oscar who was contently sleeping in the crib beside him.

Camila followed his stare, admiring the sleeping baby for a few seconds, before she shook her head, a small smile lighting up her features. “He was awake when you got in?” she asked, disturbing the moment of quiet which had settled over the two of them.

Lionel, who’d moved to slip his phone back into his pocket, nodded. “I don’t think he’d been up for long” he mused “But he was starting to get grumpy so I bought him back here. It took a little while to settle him, but he’s been asleep for about an hour” he added.

Camila, who’d stepped a little closer to the crib, shook her head, her eyes not shifting away from Oscar who stirred a little in his sleep, letting out a quiet sigh. “You should have woken me” she noted.

“You looked pretty happy when I got in” Lionel quipped, moving to stand beside her “And we both know how much you hate having your sleep disturbed. If I remember rightly, the first time that Oscar slept through the night, you wanted to throw a party” he added.

Camila scoffed, but didn’t refute what he’d said, something which made Lionel laugh quietly, his arm gently wrapping around her waist. Camila jumped a little, slightly caught off guard by his arm wrapping around her waist, before she shuffled a little closer to him, gently cuddling into his side. Lionel smiled a little at the feel of her embrace before he shifted his hand slightly, brushing it gently against the bump that she carried. “We’ll be doing night feeds again before you know it” he murmured softly.

Camila smiled gently. “You sound like you’ve missed them” she teased softly.

Lionel shrugged. “They’re not so bad” he quipped.

Camila offered him a playfully dubious look, something which caused Lionel to offer her crooked smile before he shifted his hand again, gently moving to knot their fingers together. “Come on” he mumbled softly “We should probably make the most of the opportunities we have to get some sleep before baby comes along” he added, tugging on her hand so that he could lead her out of the room.

Camila let out a quiet laugh before she followed after him, wordlessly noting that there was a small part of her that couldn’t wait for the sleepless nights to start up again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)