I Know I Was for a While

76: I Kind Of Thought That I Was

Stretching her legs out ahead of herself, Camila let out a quiet groan, her head leaning back against the wall which sat behind her. She knew that it was late, when she had gotten out of bed a while previous, Lionel had still been happily snoring, but she couldn’t quite will herself to fall asleep, even if she did feel tired. Every time she seemed to close her eyes, another ache or pain seemed to spring up and disturb her, something which had only grown more frequent in the months that had passed since they’d found out that they were expecting another little boy.

Closing her eyes, she waited for the wave of pain to pass over her before she blinked them open again, settling her stare on the half-packed bag which sat ahead of her. Shifting a little on the spot, she moved to collect one of the items which sat on the floor around before she neatly folded it, tucking inside of the bag.

“You do know that it’s nearly four in the morning, right?”

Camila, who’d moved to fold another piece of baby clothing into the holdall, visibly jumped at the sound of Lionel’s voice, something which made the argentine laugh softly before he shuffled a little deeper into the room, slipping into the spot on the floor next to her. “What are you doing in here?” he asked quietly.

Camila, who’d turned her attention back towards the bag, shrugged. “I couldn’t sleep” she mused gently “And I didn’t want to wake you up with my tossing and turning, so I came in here. What are you doing in here?” she posed, offering him a tired smile.

Lionel glanced at her for a second, marveling at the soft sleepy smile that she wore, before he shook his head, just about stifling a small yawn into his hand. “I turned over and noticed that you were gone” he explained “And, seeing as your due date is only a couple of days away, I thought I ought to come and check on you. You are OK, aren’t you?” he added, dipping his head slightly so that his dark eyes mirrored hers.

Camila was quiet for a second, something which caused Lionel to tilt his head, a slightly confused smile appearing on his face. “Mila?” he prodded.

Camila shook her head, her fingers messing gently with the ends of her hair. “I’ve...uh...I’ve been having some twinges” she admitted quietly “But I really don’t think we need to be worrying right now. If they are contractions, they’re still a long way apart, so...” she trailed off, not missing the small amused grin that had spread across Lionel’s face.

“What?” she spluttered, self-consciously pushing her hair off of her face.

Lionel breathed out a gentle laugh. “Nothing” he quipped “This just...They’re still a long way apart?” he added, correcting himself midsentence.

Camila tilted her head, a slightly confused laugh falling out of her mouth. “What?” she pressed again.

Lionel shook his head. “This doesn’t feel familiar to you?” he quipped “I mean, this bedroom...you repacking the baby bag...this doesn’t feel like déjà vu to you?” he added, his face lighting up with a small bashful smile as he gestured around the newly redecorated bedroom.

Camila followed his gesture, marveling at how different the room looked to when she had first started to stay in it, before she nodded her head, a soft smile on her lips. “It does feel a little familiar” she admitted “Although, this time, I don’t feel so awkward about asking if you want to sit here for a while. You don’t mind, do you?” she asked.

Lionel offered her a look, briefly contemplating suggesting that they made their way back across the hall and towards their bed, before he shook his head, his hand gently moving to take a hold of hers which still messed with her hair. “Of course not” he mused gently.

Camila flashed him a grateful smile, allowing him to knot their fingers together, before she shuffled a little closer to him, resting her head against his shoulder as she allowed a couple of beats of silence to pass between them. Shifting a little in her seat, she attempted to get slightly more comfortable before she felt Lionel’s other hand against her stomach, the pad of his thumb tracing soothing circles against her bump. Biting her lip gently, she watched the gentle movements of his thumb for a few seconds before she shook her head, a breathy laugh falling out of her mouth.

Lionel, who’d moved to rest his head against hers, smiled at the sound of her laugh. “What are you laughing at?” he asked quietly, not wanting to disturb the comfortable quiet which had settled over the two of them.

Camila, who’d started to mess with the hand which held hers, shrugged. “Nothing” she murmured quietly “I was just...I was thinking about the day Oscar was born. You wouldn’t even call me your girlfriend” she added, her voice warm and playful.

Lionel scoffed quietly, rolling his eyes. “We hadn’t talked about it” he pointed out “And I thought that you probably had a lot more on your mind than whether or not I was your boyfriend. I mean, I kind of thought that I was, but we’d never said it and I...” he trailed off, not missing the grin which had lit up Camila’s face.

Offering her another roll of his eyes, he gently squeezed her hand. “I was awkward” he admitted.

“Were?” Camila quipped playfully.

Lionel merely offered her a playful glare, something which made Camila giggle before she gently leant up, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. “I like that you still get flustered” she mumbled quietly as she pulled away from him slightly “It’s a part of your charm” she added.

Lionel pressed another soft kiss against her lips. “You think I am charming?” he mumbled between light kisses.

Camila feigned thought for a second, a playful grin on her lips, before she felt a pain in her stomach, something which caused her to grimace before she felt the carpet around her warm up slightly. Blinking a couple of times, she spared a shaky glance down towards the floor before she lifted her head up again, her dark eyes mirroring Lionel’s as he stared down at her, an awed expression on his face. “Mila” he breathed “Is that...?” he trailed off.

Camila blinked a couple more times before she nodded her head slowly, her eyes staring down at the wet patch which had formed on the carpet around her. “You...uh...you need to get up” she stumbled out quietly “You need to find your phone and call my mother. She’ll be annoyed, but she’s going to have to come and get Oscar from the hospital. You remember where I left my bag, don’t you? You need to get that, put it into the car, and then go and wake Oscar. You should also...”

“Mila” Lionel interrupted softly.

Camila blinked a couple of times, surprised by the interruption, before she looked up at him, something which caused Lionel to quirk a soft grin before he reached his hand forwards, brushing her loose hair off her face. “Nena” he murmured softly “We’re having a baby” he added, his voice soft in awe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)