I Know I Was for a While

79: More Than Ready

“Are you going to be warm enough?”

Camila, who’d been gently readjusting the scarf that she wore, quirked a small smile at the sound of Lionel’s fussing before she turned around, her dark eyes settling on where he sat at the end of the bed, carefully getting Sam ready to head home. They hadn’t been there for a long, with Camila’s labour and Sam’s birth being straightforward and free of complications, they’d only been there for a few hours after the little boy had arrived, but already Camila was ready to get home, even if it had only been a matter of hours since she’d arrived at the hospital. She was more than looking forwards to the moment that she was able to settle down in her own bed for a while.

“I’ll be fine” she mused “I mean, I’ve only got to get to the car and then from the car to the house. I’m sure I’ll manage” she added as she stepped towards the bed, her fingertips gently smoothing out the fine tufts of brown hair which sat on the top of Sam’s head.

Lionel watched her for a second, briefly contemplating asking if she was sure, before he lowered his stare, fastening up the last few buttons on Sam’s onesie. “Have you spoken to your mama?” he asked, disrupting the comfortable quiet which had settled over the two of them.

Camila, who’d been quietly watching him and Sam, blinked a couple of times, surprised by the sound of his voice, before she nodded, offering him a small smile. “I got a hold of her earlier when you were asleep” she mused “Apparently, Oscar’s been in a bad mood all day and she warned me that he’d probably still be awake when we got back. She’s excited about us getting home, though. She can’t wait to meet him” she added, gesturing down towards Sam.

Lionel quirked a crooked smile, following her stare down towards the little boy, before he gently shook his head, his fingertips lightly readjusting the little boy’s onesie as his expression grew slightly sheepish. Camila lifted her head slightly, watching him for a couple of seconds, before she lightly reached her hand forwards, pushing his dark hair back off of his forehead. “He looks like you” she mumbled quietly.

Lionel tilted his head slightly, his cheeks blushing bashfully. “You think so?” he asked.

Camila nodded, her lips quirking upwards slightly. “I do” she confirmed “I mean, there are obviously flecks of me, but...” she trailed off, her voice warm and playful.

Lionel rolled his eyes, but didn’t attempt to stifle his smile, instead opting to reach his hand up, capturing hers so that he could press a light kiss against her palm.

Camila let out a soft giggle before she leant towards him slightly, her nose lightly brushing against his for a few seconds before the sound of the door opening and closing reached her ears, causing her to flinch slightly before she turned in her seat, sparing a look towards Tessa who stood in the doorway, a pile of papers clutched in her hands. “Sorry” the midwife mused “I didn’t mean to interrupt. I just thought you’d want these” she added, showing off the papers.

Lionel, who’d quickly moved to gather Sam up into his arms, quirked a grin. “Those are...?”

“Camila’s discharge papers” Tessa finished for him “You’re free to get out of here” she added with a warm smile.

Camila smiled at Tessa for a few seconds before she shuffled back to her feet, wrapping the midwife in a soft hug. “Gracias” she mumbled softly.

Tessa hugged her back gently. “It was nothing” she mused “Just remember me for when you and Lionel decide to give Oscar and Sam a little sister, eh?” she teased warmly.

Camila let out a soft laugh, rolling her eyes playfully. “I think that’ll be a while” she quipped, not missing the slightly teasing smirk that had briefly passed over Lionel’s face.

“You never know” Tessa shrugged “Congratulations again, Camila, Lionel. Sam’s beautiful” she fussed lightly before she stepped out of the room.

Lionel, who’d moved to stand beside Camila, watched the midwife out of the room before he lightly nudged her shoulder, encouraging her to turn around so that she could take Sam out of his arms. “You ready to go?” he asked, moving to pull on his coat.

Camila grinned at him. “More than ready” she enthused.

~#~
“It’s quiet” Lionel commented as he gently pushed the front door closed behind him. It hadn’t taken them long, after Tessa had delivered Camila’s discharge papers, it’d taken them less than an hour to get home, but still the argentine was glad to be there, even if they hadn’t stayed in hospital overnight. There was a large part of him that felt relieved that they’d made it home with everything being OK.

Camila, who’d been checking on Sam, nodded her head in agreement. “It is” she agreed “Maybe my madre convinced Oscar to go to sleep?” she added, sparing a look at Lionel over her shoulder.

Lionel quirked an amused eyebrow before he moved to reply, only to be cut off by the sound of footsteps rushing towards them. Pausing for a second, he listened to the footsteps get closer before he shuffled ahead of Camila, catching Oscar, who was dressed in his pajamas, as he rushed into the room. “Mama!” he squeaked “Papa!” he added, quickly wrapping his arms around Lionel’s neck.

Lionel let out a soft laugh, hugging the little boy gently. “Hola, little one” he murmured “What’ve you done with nana?” he asked as he leant back, gently pushing Oscar’s dark hair off of his face.

Oscar grinned at him, one hand rubbing his eyes sleepily, before he held his other hand out, encouraging Lionel to take it. “Nana” he called as he toddled back towards the living room, pulling Lionel along behind him.

Lionel offered Camila a grin over his shoulder before he followed Oscar into the living room, greeting Lucille with a small smile. “Lucille” he mused.

Lucille smiled at him. “Where is he then?” she quipped.

Lionel let out an amused laugh before he shuffled out of the doorway, allowing Camila to step into the room, Sam happily settled in her arms. Lucille watched Camila into the room before she shook her head, the grin on her face growing a little wider. “Look at him” she fussed as she took a few steps closer to Camila, her eyes admiring Sam as he let out a quiet snuffle in his sleep “Mila, sweetheart, he’s adorable. You two must be so smitten” she added giddily.

Camila and Lionel shared a look, warm grins on their faces, before Oscar tugged on Lionel’s hand. “Papa, sit” he announced, tugging Lionel towards a spot in front of the television which was showing his favourite cartoon.

Lionel shook his head. “In a second, Oscar” he mused “First...me and your mama, we want to introduce you to someone” he breathed, unable to keep his smile off of his face.

Oscar frowned. “Sit” he repeated.

Lionel shook his head before he ducked down, lifting Oscar up onto his hip. Pausing for a second, he let the toddler grumble, before he stepped towards Camila, stopping a couple of paces away from her. “Oscar” he mused gently “This is Sam. Your little brother” he added.

Oscar tilted his head, his dark eyes staring at his new brother, before he turned to Lionel, a frown on his face. “Sam” he announced.

“Sam” Lionel confirmed with an encouraging grin.

Oscar stared at Lionel for a few seconds, seemingly thinking something over, before he reached his hand out, frowning slightly as it stopped just short of Sam. Shifting slightly, he leant a little way out of Lionel’s arms before he lightly brushed his hand over Sam’s, a proud grin lighting up his face. “Sam!” he announced, earning warm smiles from the adults around him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)