I Know I Was for a While

83: When You Put It That Way

“Did I already give you Oscar’s teddy bear?” Camila asked as she stepped into her bedroom, her eyes landing on her mother who was sat at the foot of the bed, attempting to get a pair of shoes on Oscar’s feet. It had been a couple of days, after they’d celebrated Oscar’s second birthday, the night of her and Lionel’s second anniversary had been quick to roll around, and with him having the day off from training the next day, they’d made plans to go out, something which Camila was looking forwards to, even if she was slightly apprehensive about leaving Sam and Oscar with her mother. A small part of her couldn’t wait to have Lionel to herself for a while.

Lucille, who’d been tying the laces of Oscar’s shoes, shrugged. “I don’t know” she mused “I mean, you’ve given me his bag, and Sam’s, but I’ve not looked through them. Is it important?” she asked, sparing Camila a glance over her shoulder.

Camila, who’d moved to check her reflection in the mirror, spared her mother a small grin over her shoulder. “That depends” she quipped “Did you have plans to get some sort of sleep tonight?” she added impishly, her fingers gently pushing a few wayward hairs off of her face.

Lucille rolled her eyes, but stopped herself from commenting in reply, instead allowing a soft smile to fill her face as she watched Camila mess with her hair. Shaking her head, she watched as Camila tuck her hair behind her ear, before she shuffled towards her, gently brushing the last few hairs off of her face. “You’re still nervous” she commented gently “You’ve been dating the guy for two years, and you’re still this nervous” she added, her voice warm and teasing.

Camila shook her head. “Mama...”

“I think it’s cute” Lucille interrupted, cutting off her daughter’s complaining.

Camila merely rolled her eyes, something which made Lucille grin before she leant forwards, pressing a soft kiss against Camila’s forehead before she backed away, moving to catch Oscar who’d started to toddle towards the door. “I should get these boys out of here” she mused “Is Sam...”

“He’s ready to go” Lionel’s voice interrupted “I’ve just changed his nappy and he had a bottle just before you arrived. He should settle down pretty quickly, but I can’t make any promises. He can be pretty fussy when he wants to be” he added, offering Lucille a slightly sheepish smile.

Lucille blinked a couple of times, surprised by the interruption, before she nodded, smiling back at him warmly. “I’m sure I will be fine” she mused.

Lionel offered her a slightly dubious look, wordlessly asking if she was sure, before he nodded his head. “If you need us...”

“I know” Lucille interrupted “But I am sure that I won’t need you. You two should focus on having a good night” she added, sparing a brief, teasing glance towards Camila, who caught it before she shook her head, trying, and failing, to hide the blush which had been quick to light up her cheeks.

Lionel noticed the older woman’s look before he shook his head, his own cheeks flushing a faint shade of red. Clearing his throat slightly, he stepped towards Lucille before he dipped down, pressing a soft kiss against the top of Oscar’s head. “You won’t drive your abuela too crazy, will you?” he mumbled.

Oscar, who’d been happily messing with the necklace that Lucille wore, merely grinned, something which made Lionel chuckle before he pressed another kiss to his head, mumbling a quiet ‘goodnight’.

Lucille watched the two of them for a second, smiling gently to herself, before she lifted her head slightly, catching sight of the soft smile that lit up Camila’s face. It was something she saw a lot of, whenever she was around Lionel, Oscar or Sam, she wore the same contented smile, and Lucille had to admit that she adored seeing it, knowing that it was a sign of just how happy her little girl was.

Smiling to herself, she took a few more seconds to admire how happy Camila looked before she cleared her throat. “Don’t you two have a dinner reservation to get too?” she quipped warmly.

Lionel, who’d been happy chattering to Oscar, looked up at the sound of her voice before he nodded, letting out a slightly breathy laugh. “We do” he confirmed “We should...”

“I’ll see you both in the morning” Lucille interrupted with a warm smile.

Lionel let out another nervous laugh before he nodded, offering a hand out towards Camila who quickly took it, flashing her mother a small appreciative smile as they walked out of the door.

~#~
“Your mother hasn’t called yet”

Camila, who was gently tugging a few hairclips out of her dark hair, smiled a little at Lionel’s comment before she shook her head, sparing a glance back towards where he sat on the bed, a small grin of his own toying with the corner of his lips. It had been a good night, despite them having arrived a little late for their reservation, the dinner that they’d had had been romantic and fun, and Camila had enjoyed herself, even if the evening had been interspersed with her staring at her phone in order to make sure that her mother hadn’t needed to get a hold of her. For her, it had been nice to have a night that was about them as a couple, even if she adored being around Sam and Oscar. She had enjoyed having Lionel to herself for a little while.

“Are you looking at my phone?” she teased.

Lionel shrugged, smiling up at her impishly. “Maybe I am” he quipped “You have anything to hide?” he added, sparing a playful look down towards the phone which sat in his hand.

Camila merely rolled her eyes, something which made Lionel laugh gently before he lifted the phone up slightly, allowing him to happily flick through her photos for a few seconds before he reached one which made him pause. “What’s this?” he breathed gently.

Camila, who’d started to wipe her makeup off of her face, turned to look at him. “What’s what?” she asked.

Lionel turned the phone around, showing off the picture that lit up the screen of her phone. “This” he clarified.

Camila frowned a little, not quite recognizing the picture, before she shuffled a little closer to the bed, her cheeks warming as she studied the picture. It was a mildly embarrassing one, in the picture, she stood grinning at the camera in a wedding dress, but she couldn’t help but smile a little at it, not missing the mildly surprised look that had passed over Lionel’s face. they hadn’t talked about it much, aside from the conversation that they’d had a few days pervious about the prospect of them starting to plan their wedding, she couldn’t quite recall another time that it’d come up in conversation, and she was a little amused that he thought that she’d skipped ahead and already purchased a dress, a thought which hadn’t crossed her mind once.

“You don’t have to look so worried” Camila teased as she took the phone out of his hand, settling it down on the end table “It’s an old picture that my mother sent to me just after Sam was born. It was her way of suggesting that we start thinking about making some plans” she added, moving so that she was sat in his lap.

Lionel’s forehead furrowed. “You’re wearing a...” he trailed off

Camila smiled before she lifted her hand, gently pushing his dark hair back off of his forehead. “It was my cousin’s dress” she mused gently “We’re the same size and she couldn’t make her last alteration appointment before she got married, so she convinced me to stand in for her. My mother’s had the picture forever” she added gently.

Lionel nodded his head slowly, something which made Camila giggle before she leant forwards, pressing a soft kiss against his cheek. “We’ve not even talked about dates” she mumbled, moving to press a kiss against his other cheek “Do you really think that I would have gone out and bought a dress?” she added, smiling against his skin.

Lionel closed his eyes at the feel of her lips against his skin before he shook his head. “When you put it that way...” he trailed off quietly.

Camila pressed another kiss against his cheek before she pulled back slightly, her dark eyes mirroring his. “My cousin’s a wedding planner” she murmured softly “I mean, I know we’ve not talked much about it, but if you wanted to...we could...I’m sure she could...” she stumbled out.

Lionel smiled a little, amused by how nervous she seemed, before he lifted one of his hand, cupping her cheek softly. “Make us an appointment” he mused gently.

“Really?” Camila squeaked “Because...” she trailed off, not missing the sound of Lionel’s laugh.

Shaking her head, she felt her cheeks redden slightly before she leant into him, capturing him in a soft kiss that he didn’t hesitate in returning, a small smile playing on his lips. He didn’t want to rush her, with Sam only having arrived a couple of months previous, the last thing he wanted was for Camila to feel pressured into making a start on their wedding plans, but he had to admit that he was glad that she was thinking about them, even if it was likely to be a way off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comments :)