I Know I Was for a While

84: I Think That Sounds Like Us

Gently twisting the ends of her dark hair around her finger, Camila let out a quiet sigh, her eyes settled on the papers which sat on the coffee table ahead of her. It had been a while, after she and Lionel had celebrated their second anniversary, a few weeks had passed, and with them having visited her cousin a few days after their anniversary, they’d tentatively started to put a few plans in place for their wedding, something which Camila found exciting, even if the date that they’d chosen was a way off. A small part of her couldn’t quite believe they’d reached a point where they were making wedding plans.

Allowing her hair to slip through her fingers, she let a quiet yawn slip out of her mouth before she felt a pair of arms wrap around her middle, something which caused her to startle slightly before she looked up, her dark eyes settling on Oscar who stood beside her, a wide smile on his face. “Mama!” he exclaimed.

Camila smiled before she wrapped her arms around him, pulling him into a soft hug. “Buenos dias to you too, baby” she mumbled into his hair “What are you doing up, eh?” she added, pressing a kiss against the top of his head.

“He was awake when I went to check on him”

Camila, who’d been mumbling happily to Oscar, startled a little at the sound of Lionel’s voice before she lifted her head, offering him a small smile. “You’re up earlier too” she pointed out “I wasn’t expecting to see anyone for about another hour” she added.

Lionel, who’d moved to settle down on the arm of the couch behind her, shrugged, just about stifling a soft yawn into his hand. “I thought I heard Sam” he noted “And whilst he is still asleep, it was enough to wake me up, so I went to check on this one. We thought maybe we could come and see where mama had gotten to. You look like you’ve been up for a while” he added as he reached over, gently smoothing out Oscar’s messy dark hair.

Camila watched the two of them for a second, a small smile on her face, before she shrugged, gently resting back against the couch which sat behind her. “Sam woke me up about an hour ago, maybe a little longer” she mused softly “And once I’d settled him back down, I couldn’t get back to sleep myself, so I came down here. I didn’t want to disturb you, you were snoring quite happily” she added playfully.

Lionel scoffed playfully before he shook his head, his dark eyes settling on the array of papers which were scattered over the coffee table. “What’s this?” he pressed as he shuffled into the spot at her side, lifting a few of the papers into his hands.

Camila, who’d been helping Oscar to get comfortable in her lap, looked up at the sound of his voice before she shook her head, a small smile on her face. “That’s the to-do list that Una gave us” she mused “I was just looking it over whilst I work on a guest list” she added, gesturing to another piece of paper which sat on the table.

Lionel nodded his head slowly before he quirked a small smile. “You’re not going to get crazy over this, are you?” he asked, his voice warm and playful.

Camila scoffed, playing along. “What’s that supposed to mean?” she quipped.

“It means you made me repaint Oscar’s bedroom three times” Lionel countered “And you made me repaint Sam’s. You’re a perfectionist, Mila, and I want to know what I am getting into” he teased with a warm laugh. He was excited, despite him and Camila having been engaged for a year, the idea that they were actually starting to make plans for their wedding was one which had a few butterflies in the pit of his stomach, but he wanted to encourage Camila to take things slowly, even if they’d already a chosen a date out. There was no need for them to hurry through their plans and stress themselves out.

Camila let out another playful scoff before she gently shook her head, pushing a few messy hairs behind her ear. “I don’t think I’m that bad” she mumbled.

Lionel offered her a playful shrug, something which caused Camila to lightly shove his shoulder. “Idiot” she mumbled, unable to keep her smile off of her face.

Lionel grinned back at her for a couple of seconds before Oscar shifted in her lap, moving to reach his arms out towards Lionel. “Papa” he grumbled.

“I think it’s time for some breakfast” Lionel mused as he lifted Oscar into his arms, shuffling back to his feet “You want to join us?” he asked.

Camila’s teasing smile softened as she looked up at the two of them, something which made Lionel smile gently in return. “How can I say no to breakfast with you two?” she asked.

“We’re kind of hoping that you can’t” Lionel quipped “We want mama to have breakfast with us, don’t we, Oscar?” he cooed.

Oscar grinned. “Mama!” he announced.

Camila let out a soft giggle before she shuffled back to her feet, moving to press a soft kiss against both Oscar and Lionel’s cheeks. “How can I say no?” she mumbled, resting her head against Lionel’s for a second.

Lionel smiled, hugging her close to him for a few seconds, before he stepped back, moving to pad towards the kitchen, Camila following close behind him. Settling Oscar down into his highchair, Lionel stepped across the kitchen towards the fridge before he turned, sparing Camila, who’d settled at the table beside Oscar, a look over his shoulder. “How many are on the guest list?” he asked.

Camila blinked a couple of times, surprised by him speaking, before she shrugged. “Not many” she mused “So far? Your parents and the rest of your family, my mother and a few close friends, but I don’t think it’s going to get much longer on my side. Do you have a lot of people that you want to add?” she asked.

Lionel shook his head. “No” he mused “I quite like the idea of it being small. For me, the smaller the better” he added with a small smile.

Camila admired the smile on his face for a couple of seconds, mulling over his words, before she nodded, a small smile over her own growing over her face. “I like the idea of a small wedding” she mused “I mean, our families, a few friends...something simple, intimate...I think that that sounds pretty wonderful” she added.

Lionel nodded. “I think it sounds very us” he agreed.

Camila smiled at him, allowing a couple of beats of quiet to pass between them, before the sound of Sam’s cries echoed away from the baby monitor which was tucked into the pocket of Lionel’s shorts, something which caused her to stand up before she stepped towards him, pressing a brisk kiss against his cheek. “You know I love you, right?” she mumbled, her dark eyes mirroring his.

Lionel simply nodded, something which made Camila flash him another small smile before she dipped forwards, pressing a quick kiss against his lips before she stepped out of the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234, FootieJo and mslou1 for the comments :)