I Know I Was for a While

85: No One Else Even Crossed My Mind

Gently pushing her engagement ring around her finger, Camila quirked a bashful smile to herself before she lifted her head slightly, glancing towards Lionel who stood a little away from her, quietly talking to Oscar who stood ahead of him, an impish smile on his face. It had been a while, after they’d started the process of making plans for their wedding day, time seemed to have passed rapidly, and before they knew it, they’d arrived at the day before they were due to get married, something which made Camila slightly giddy, even if there were a few last minute nerves in the pit of her stomach. A small part of her couldn’t help but wish away the hours that separated her and Lionel from their being announced as husband and wife.

Watching Oscar and Lionel for a few seconds, she gently chewed on her lip, trying to stifle her soft smile before the sound of footsteps reached her ears, causing her to turn around, smiling at her mother who made her way through the small church with Sam balanced on her hip and Lionel’s mother and father close behind her. “Sorry it took so long” Lucille mused “I ran into these two when I was on my way back inside and we got to chatting, but we’re here now. Are we ready to get started?” she asked.

Camila nodded as she stood up. “I think so” she mused “Leo?” she asked.

Lionel, who was still talking quietly to Oscar, looked up at the sound of his name. “Huh?” he asked.

“Are we ready to get started?” Camila asked “I mean, it’s already nearly five, and we’ve got a dinner reservation for six. You think we can get this show on the road?” she asked, unable to keep the small smile off of her face.

Lionel looked up at her for a couple of seconds, marveling at the immovable smile that she wore, before he nodded, a soft grin of his own illuminating his face. “I think so” he confirmed.

Camila offered him another small smile before she turned towards her mother. “You ready to practice walking me down the aisle?” she asked.

Lucille grinned at her. “Baby, I’ve been ready since you and Lionel started to date” she quipped.

Camila rolled her eyes gently before she shuffled through the church with her mother, making her way towards the door. Stopping beside it, she spared a slightly nervous smile towards a couple of her cousins who were acting as her bridesmaids before someone cued the music, something which caused her to shake her head gently, a nervous laugh falling out of her mouth.

Lucille smiled a little, not missing the sound, but didn’t say anything, instead opting to wrap her arm around Camila’s, offering it a soft squeeze.

Camila smiled a little at the feel of the soft squeeze before she flicked her attention upwards, watching as her bridesmaids proceeded up the aisle before she took a tentative step forwards with her mother. Watching her own feet, she slowly proceeded up the aisle, before Lucille pulled her to stop, something which encouraged her to look up, her dark eyes gazing up at Lionel who looked down at her, a lopsided grin on his face.

Lucille looked between them for a moment before she teasingly cleared her throat. “You know that you’re not actually getting married until tomorrow, right?” she quipped.

Lionel let out a small laugh before he nodded, trying, and failing, to hide the blush which had been quick to spread across his cheeks.

Camila smiled at him gently before she carefully detached her arm from her mother’s, slipping her hand gently into Lionel’s.

Lionel knotted their fingers gently before he pulled them upwards, allowing him to press a soft kiss against the back of Camila’s hand. “I can’t wait” he fussed quietly.

~#~
Pushing a hand back through his hair, Lionel took a sip from the bottle of water that he held in his hands, his dark eyes staring out over the quiet garden which sat in front of him. He hadn’t been out there long, with a house full of guests, he and Camila had spent most of the night entertaining, but with the party starting to wind down, he’d slipped out of the back door, more than ready to have a couple of seconds to himself before he slipped back inside and said goodnight to Camila who would be spending the night at her mother’s home.

It had been a little overwhelming, despite the small number of invitations that they’d sent out, the amount of cooing and fussing had been more than he’d been expecting, and he was itching for a break, even if he was sure that the next day would be worse. He just wanted a couple of seconds that were filled with someone gushing about how far he and Camila had come from the moment that he’d offer her his spare room.

Messing with his hair slightly, he took another sip of his drink, before he stood up, taking a few steps across the garden before he settled down, laying back against the grass as he squeezed his eyes closed. Taking a couple of deep breaths, he relished the quiet which filled the air around him before he felt someone lay down beside him, cuddling into his side slightly. Frowning, he opened his eyes before he shook his head, a soft laugh falling out of his mouth. “I thought you were upstairs, making sure that you had everything” he mumbled.

Camila, who had her head rested against his shoulder, shrugged. “I was” she mused “And then my mother came up and took over, so I just decided to leave her to it. I thought I’d come and see if there was anything else that needed doing, but your parents and siblings seemed to have everything under control, so I came looking for you. You do know that it’s November, right?” she pressed, tugging at his t-shirt slightly.

Lionel smiled. “I needed a break” he quipped “If one more person tells me how lucky I am...”

“You don’t think you’re lucky?” Camila chirped lightheartedly.

Lionel shook his head. “I know how lucky I am” he noted “I mean, you and our boys...you’re the best things that could have happened to me, you know that?” he prodded as he tilted his head so that he could meet her eyes.

“I’m sure that’s not what you thought when you came over to my apartment after Noah broke up with me” Camila joked “I was a mess” she added.

Lionel smiled down at her. “You were the most beautiful mess” he played along.

Camila scoffed. “You’re just saying that to be cute” she quipped, poking his side playfully.

“I’m always cute” Lionel retorted cheekily.

Camila giggled gently before she sat up, gently moving to in Lionel’s lap.

Lionel sat up slightly before he lifted his hand, gently cupping her cheek. “You have no idea how glad I am that you called me” he noted “I mean, I hate that you got hurt, but of all the people you could have called, you chose to call me and...” his voice trailed off as Camila leant forwards, gently pressing her lips to his.

Lionel stilled a little, surprised by the kiss, before he gently shifted his hand, weaving his fingers through her hair as he kissed her gently.

“Camila...oh”

Camila’s head whipped up at the sound of Celia’s voice, something which made Lionel snicker a little before Camila gently punched his shoulder. “Shut up” she whispered.

Lionel grinned at her amusedly before he gently settled his hands on her waist, helping her up to her feet before he followed suit. “Mama?” he asked, dusting grass off of himself.

“Lucille’s getting ready to leave” Celia quipped “She asked me to find you so that you could go through your list one more time” she added.

Camila nodded. “I’ll go and find her” she mused.

Celia nodded her head gently before she stepped back inside, leaving the young couple alone.

Lionel watched his mother away before he turned back to Camila, letting out a soft sigh. “I guess this is it” he noted.

Camila shook her head, refraining from making a comment about him being dramatic, before she stepped towards him, pressing another firm kiss against his lips. “No one else even crossed my mind” she murmured gently before she pulled away, jogging towards the house.

Lionel just smiled to himself as he watched her, more than ready for the next day to arrive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)