I Know I Was for a While

88: Not At All

Hearing Camila snuffle in her sleep, Lionel glanced up from his phone, a soft sleepy smile lighting up his features as he looked over at her, making sure that she was still sleeping peacefully. It was still early, when he’d last looked at the clock, it’d only read a little past seven, and he didn’t want to disturb her, even if he knew that it would only be a matter of time before Lucille arrived to drop the boys off. He knew that Camila, who’d spent most of the previous day fretting and worrying, would appreciate the opportunity to sleep in for a while.

It hadn’t been a big occasion, with neither Lionel nor Camila wanting much in the way of fuss and the date that they’d chosen falling in the midst of the season, they’d ensured that things had been small and quiet, but still Camila had worried about things going wrong, something which had made Lionel smile, knowing that regardless of any little hiccups or stumbles that might have occurred, the day that they’d had would still be memorable for all the right reasons.

Scratching his jaw gently, he watched her stir a little in her sleep before he felt his phone vibrate in his hand, something which caused him to shake his head before he carefully slipped out of bed. Placing his feet down onto the floor, he spared another cautious glance back towards Camila before he stood up, ducking out of the bedroom before he pressed the phone against his ear. “Hola?” he mumbled, pulling the bedroom door to behind him.

“Buenos dias, son-in-law” Lucille chirped “I didn’t wake you, did I?” she asked.

Lionel let out a small bashful laugh at the sound of the name Lucille had used before he shook his head, sparing a soft yawn into his hand. “No” he replied “I’ve been awake for a little while. You need something?” he asked.

Lucille let out a soft sigh. “I hate to interrupt” she mused gently “I mean, I am sure that you and Camila had something romantic planned for your first morning as a married couple, but...but something’s come up and I need to drop the boys off. I’m so sorry, Leo” she apologized gently.

Lionel, who’d moved to pad down the stairs, shook his head. “It’s fine” he mused.

“I know you probably had plans, Leo” Lucille replied softly “And if I could get out of it...”

“I know you would” Lionel finished for her “But you can’t, and that’s fine. Me and Mila didn’t really have much planned anyways. How far away are you?” he asked.

Lucille made a small sound into the phone. “About that” she quipped before a small knock filled the air, something which made Lionel shake his head before he stepped towards the door, pulling it open to his mother-in-law who stood on the other side, Sam balanced on her hip whilst Oscar stood ahead of her.

“Papa!” Oscar squeaked.

Lionel smiled gently before he dipped down, wrapping Oscar in a soft hug. “Hola, little one” he greeted softly “Did you have a good night with Nana?” he posed as he stood up, balancing the toddler on his hip.

Oscar grinned and nodded, something which caused Lionel to turn, offering a small smile to Lucille. “They weren’t any trouble were they?” he asked “I mean, since Sam started to crawl...”

“They were wonderful, Leo” Lucille interrupted gently “They always are. You and my daughter have two wonderful boys” she added, offering him a meaningful smile as she placed a little more stress on the word ‘two’.

Lionel’s cheeks warmed a little before Oscar squirmed in his arms, encouraging Lionel to place him back down onto his feet before he toddled away, making his way towards the living room. Lionel watched him with a proud smile before he turned back to Lucille, offering out his arms so that she could place Sam down into them. “Have they had breakfast yet?” he asked.

Lucille shook her head, an apologetic smile on her lips. “I’m sorry” she mused as she leant forwards, gently settling Sam into his father’s arms.

Lionel merely offered her a smile. “It’s fine, Lucille” he mused.

Lucille offered him an uncertain look before she leant forwards, kissing his cheek quickly. “I owe you” she mused “Call me whenever you and Camila decide you need a night to work on giving me another adorable grandbaby” she cooed before she stepped away, leaving Lionel blushing behind her.

~#~
Yawning sleepily into her hand, Camila reached the foot of the stairs, her expression softening into a sleepy smile as she caught the sound of Oscar’s voice. Pausing for a second, she listened to the little boy’s excited chatter before she padded into the living room, her eyes landing on Lionel who sat on the couch with Sam whilst Oscar toddled towards him, a story book held in his hands. Feeling her smile widen, she watched the three of them quietly, before Oscar looked up, his face lighting up at the sight of her. “Mama!” he grinned.

Lionel jumped a little at the little boy’s announcement before he whipped around, greeting Camila with a sheepish smile. “Hi” he squeaked.

“Hi” Camila replied.

Lionel just smiled up at her, something which made Camila’s cheeks flush a soft shade of pink before Oscar stopped ahead of her, reaching an arm up towards her. Camila ducked down and lifted him up, carrying him over towards the couch before she sat down, settling the little boy between her and Lionel. “They’re back early” she mused as she leant over, kissing Sam’s head gently.

“Your mother had a work thing” Lionel replied “I didn’t mind, though. I mean, I know it’s our first morning as a married couple, but this feels normal. It’s our little routine” he added, shyly smoothing out Sam’s slightly messy hair.

Camila watched him for second, smiling gently, before she leant over, carefully pushing her fingertips back through Lionel’s dark hair. Lionel, who’d been looking down at Sam, blushed a little at the feel of her fingers before he turned, offering her a gentle smile. “There’s still some food leftover” he quipped “I mean, we’ve already eaten, but I made sure that we saved you something. We didn’t want to wake you” he added.

Camila just shook her head, smiling gently.

Lionel tilted his head. “What’s that look for?” he asked.

Camila shrugged. “I don’t know” she quipped “I guess I am just happy. You have problem with that?” she asked playfully.

Lionel chuckled, but shook his head. “Not at all” he replied.

“Good” Camila replied “Now, I am going to have some breakfast and then I am going to take a shower. Afterwards, we should go and do something, the four of us” she added as she pushed herself back to her feet.

Lionel nodded, smiling up at her gently. “Sounds good to me” he mused.

Camila paused for a second, admiring his smile, before she leant down, pressing a soft kiss against his lips before she walked out of the room, leaving him still smiling gently to himself behind her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)