Status: This is the new shit, stand up and admit

Shadows From the Abyss

Date Night 2.0

Art smiled, sipping his coffee as he watched Shawn, who was sitting across from him, lip syncing to whatever song he was listening to. He was absolutely precious and always made Art smile. Dork.

Shawn opened his eyes and smiled, finally noticing Art had been snickering at him. "Don't judge me," He muttered as Worth It by The Weekend died down in his earbuds.

"I'm not saying shit, babe," Art smiled, taking another sip of coffee.

Shawn's eyes lit up as Still Into You by Paramore started playing in his ears. "Ooh! Love this one!"

"Aaand I've lost you," Art mumbled as he watched Shawn dance around in his seat. He just rolled his eyes and looked around the coffee house they were sitting in. It was surprisingly quiet for a Wednesday morning. It was weird having a day off from both jobs in the middle of the week but he'd gladly take it. He glanced at the table beside them and snagged the paper that had been left behind. He read about the hell unfolding around them as Shawn was locked in his own little world. Stay oblivious, kid, for your own sake. As he read about some long fought battle going on overseas the US was possibly getting drug into, the long scar on his left leg started to burn and itch. No one should be ripped apart of killed for a cause they didn't believe in. "Fuck these assholes," He mumbled. "Not their damn problem until it affects them."

"What?" Shawn asked as he wrapped his headphones up and put them in his pocket. "What's up, babe?"

"Don't worry about it, just talking to myself," Art sighed as he folded the paper back up and tossed it back on the table beside them. "Finish your bagel and let's roll, okay?" He shot down the rest of his coffee and got up to go to the restroom.

Shawn sighed happily as he walked away, watching him as he vanished around the corner. "God I hit the damn jackpot with you," He whispered to himself before finishing his bagel and cleaning their trash up.

"Shall we, dear?" Art took Shawn's hand as he returned and led him past the front counter towards the door.

Shawn locked eyes with a girl with bright pink hair in line and saw her face light up suddenly. He didn't recognize her at all but his heart skipped a beat when she suddenly gasped. "Hey, I know you!"

Shawn stopped and felt Art's grip tighten. "What?"

"No you don't, sorry," Art cut in, pulling Shawn along. He led him out the door before he let go of his hand and placed his on Shawn's shoulder. "Keep moving."

"Who was that?" Shawn asked as they walked to the mustang parked down the street.

"Fan." Art replied flatly, sliding his sunglasses down. "She was reaching for her phone and had a Green Day backpack on. She recognized you. Just keep walking."

"Oh fucking hell," Shawn sighed as he unlocked the doors and they got in.

"Start driving. Don't give her time to catch up."

"Where are we going?"

"Anywhere but here."

*****************

"When you googled me, how much came up?" Shawn asked cautiously as the pair strolled through Food Lion.

"Not a whole lot. Information about your crazy ass family, obviously. And the court case. Other than that just a few press photos from shows you've been to and things your Dad posted about you on Instagram. It said you lived here and went to Grimsley but other than that not a whole lot." Art stopped and grabbed several bags of shredded cheese and tossed them in his basket. "Why don't we have a date night in to take your mind off it? I'll make us nachos and we can watch any movie you want."

"That'd be nice," Shawn smiled weakly. "God I feel fucking paranoid now."

"Don't worry too much about it. You'll make yourself sick."

"But how did she know who I was? I've barely left the house in years."

Art stopped and raised his eyebrow. "Dude. You look like your Dad. Any eagle eyed fan is going to know who you are."

"Should I even tell him about it?"

"Babe, it was an isolated incident. Like I said, don't worry about it. You aren't being stalked or anything and no one is running up to you. Don't let one person shake you."

"You're right."

"Now then, what do you like on your nachos?"

*****************

The duo sat together, curled up on Art's couch later that evening eating nachos and watching Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

"Yo this mother fucker aint one of us! He said he'd fuck a sheep! Now who's stupid you dirty sheep fucker!" Art yelled along with the movie, making Shawn laugh.

"How many times have you seen this?"

"Dude this movie kept us sane most nights overseas," Art smiled back, kissing Shawn's forehead before taking a swig of his rum and coke. "It's the little things when you're deployed."

Shawn heard his phone vibrating on the kitchen counter. "Shit what time is it?"

"Nine. You got plenty of time. Want me to pause it?"

"No, I'll be back," He wiggled free from under his partner's arm and quickly snatched his buzzing phone. Dad. Great. "Hey there hi there," He said as he ducked into Art's bedroom and pushed the door closed.

"Hey buddy," Tre's voice was very upbeat. "How was today?"

"Pretty great. How's road life?"

"Not too bad. Playing Sydney today. We have some time before soundcheck so I decided I'd call and see how everything's going state side."

"Everything's been pretty good. I'm just hanging out with Art tonight. Date night in."

"So are you gonna bring him with you in September?"

"I don't know. If everything's going well maybe."

"Well I'd love to meet him sometime."

Shawn smiled. "I like hearing that, thanks Dad."

"You know it. I'm glad you're happy."

"So, I have a question." Shawn bit his lip. "What do you do when a fan recognizes you?"

"Oh no, what happened?"

"We went out for coffee and a girl recognized me as we were leaving. It was weird."

"She didn't follow you, did she?"

"No, Art just said she didn't know me and pushed me out the door. I'm glad he kept his cool because I would have just frozen or ran."

"Never run. Just deny who you are and keep moving and don't look back. If they follow you, just keep walking and ignore them." Suddenly, another voice chimed in in the background, causing Tre to pause. "Shit, already? Alright, man. Hey Shawn, I gotta run buddy but I'll call you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay Dad. Have a great show tonight."

"Thanks, bud. I love you."

"Love you too. Bye." Shawn smiled and hung up, letting out a happy sigh. It was nice hearing that his Dad finally accepted him as he was and actually had interest in meeting the people he associated with. This hadn't always been the case when he was a teenager. Maybe distance really did make the heart grow fonder.

He exited the small bedroom and stopped at the fridge to grab a Capri Sun before returning to the couch and rejoining Art.

"I love the contrast here," Art smirked, slipping his left arm back around Shawn. "I have a lovely adult rum and coke, and you have a fucking Capri Sun. We make a great pair, babe."

Shawn just laughed. "What did I say about judging my life?"

"I just think it's cute. Like you."

They finished their movie and drinks before snuggling up.

"Don't fall asleep, love." Art whispered, stroking Shawn's hair.

"I don't want to go home,"

"I know you don't. If I could I'd keep you here. But I don't want to piss your family off before I've even met them."

Shawn sighed and laced his fingers with Art's. His grandparents had been asking about when they would meet him. It had been almost a month now. "What are you doing this weekend? Maybe we could have dinner with them."

"That would be nice. The bar is closed Sunday so I'm free that night," Art smiled. "But let's meet somewhere instead of me going over there for the first meeting."

"Harder to make a scene if there's witnesses."

"And your Grandmother likely won't have any weapons on her." There was a few seconds of silence. "I like you a lot, Shawn. I'm really glad I met you."

Shawn blushed and kissed Art's hand sweetly. "I think you may have saved me."

"Don't give me that much credit. You control all of that. I'm just here to help with what I can."

"Well you've helped a lot. Thank you."

"So I have a question...."

Shawn's heart almost froze. Oh God no please don't ask something super personal or stupid.

Art got up and walked across the living room to his cd collection. "Did you ever hear about a band called Foxy Shazam?"

"That sounds like a spell a 70s witch would cast."

"I'll take that as a no. Does the name Eric Nally ring any bells?" He started thumbing through, looking for something among the many jewel cases that cluttered the small bookcase.

"That sounds familiar."

"He was on that Macklemore song about mopeds."

"Oh! I know who you're talking about now."

"Well he had a band called Foxy Shazam," Art pulled the dvd out of his playstation and slipped the cd in his hand in it's place. "They were fucking spectacular live. Craziest stage show I've ever seen. Dude ate lit cigarettes on stage! And he sounds like a modern Freddy Mercury. Great fuckin guy. Anyway! There's a song on here I want to play for you," Art turned and grinned, pulling Shawn up off the couch. "And there's a particular reason for that."

Shawn smiled wearily. This was either a get the hell out of my house moment or something serious was about to go down. "Oh boy."

"You make me really happy," Art smiled. "and I really like having you around. So I have a...question? More a request."

"You know you can just say it, right?"

"Yeah but that's not as fun," Art smiled, hitting play and taking Shawn's hand, pulling him close. "Plus I want to dance with you anyway. So two birds, one stone," He turned the volume of the tv up a bit as the opening chords played and they started swaying back and fourth.

There ain't no love like the love
I could give you babe
There ain't no song like the
Song I will sing you babe
There ain't no power like the
Power I need now babe
You got the power, got the po -
I need you babe


Shawn laughed. "You're such a goof."

"I don't wanna be just anybody's boyfriend
I wanna be yours, yours, yours
I don't wanna be just anybody's man" Art sang in Shawn's ear with a smile.

Shawn's heart sped up. Oh my God this giant cheese ball is asking me out!

There ain't no way like the way
I will touch you baby
There ain't no time like the
Time we got right now girl
There ain't no question like the
Question on my mind babe
You got the answer, got the an
I need you babe
I don't wanna be just anybody's boyfriend
I wanna be yours, yours, yours
I don't wanna be just anybody's man
I want to be yours
I don't wanna be just anybody's boyfriend
I wanna be yours, yours, yours
I don't wanna be just anybody's slave


Art leaned back as the guitar solo played. "So?"

Shawn laughed, his cheeks flushing. "You could have just asked! Absolutely!"

"Fuck yeah!" He kissed him sweetly but passionately, pulling him closer. After what felt like a lifetime they pulled apart. "F-Fuck..."

"Yeah," Shawn tried to catch his breath as his heart raced. "Shit." They locked eyes as the chorus played again, the lyrics enveloping them and tying them together. "I think I lo-"

"I haven't screwed up yet. Give it time and make sure you mean that before you say it," Art cut him off. "I don't want to hear it unless you mean it."

Shawn was taken aback. This was the complete opposite of what he was used to. No one had ever treated him to an entire day out, cooked him dinner and then danced with him.

"I think I do, though." He whispered.

"Just be sure first, okay?" Art smiled. "I haven't screwed up yet. You may change your mind after I do."

"I don't think that's possible at this point."

An alarm chimed on Art's phone, finally causing them to break eye contact. He reached over and shut it off and sighed.

"I should probably go," Shawn smiled weakly. "You have work tomorrow."

"Yeah...."

Shawn started to pull away but Art pulled him back in and kissed him deeply again. "A few more minutes won't hurt," He whispered, a smile on his lips.

*******************

Art danced beside Shawn as they walked down the hallway to the dark gravel parking lot outside Art's apartment building. "All you have to do is stay a minute, just take your time!" Art sang, pushing the door open.

"Oh my God stop," Shawn snorted with laughter, watching his boyfriend dance around under the street light. "You're such a dork."

"I'm your dork now, sucka!" The two walked hand in hand to the mustang waiting at the edge of the parking lot. "So I'll call you tomorrow night when I get off and we'll talk for hours about how cute Brendon Urie is, yeah?"

"Go to bed," Shawn giggled, kissing Art quickly. "I'll call you tomorrow night. I lo-"

"Shhh. Not yet, remember?"

Shawn rolled his eyes and sighed. "Sleep well, babe." He opened the car door and slide in the drivers seat. Art took a step back as the engine roared to life and Shawn let the top slowly slide off.

"Oh hey by the way, real quick," Art looked down and smirked, "I got two tickets to Iron Maiden baby-"

"No!"

"Come with my Friday, don't say maybe! I'm just a teenage dirtbag baby, like you! Oooooooh!"

"Goodbye, loser," Shawn laughed as he back out of the parking space and started his drive home. He smiled to himself as he drove, thinking about how much fun he had over the past month. Art was a dream, exactly what he needed right now. Anytime he would begin to panic, Art was right there to help him breathe through it and overcome his anxieties. His grandparents were just glad he was going out of the house regularly and not locking himself away like he did when he lived alone. Meeting Art had made the transition so much easier.

He finished the drive home and parked. It was only 11:30 when he got home so he didn't have to be mouse quiet as he unlocked the back door and walked into the dark kitchen.

"How was tonight? Was he a gentlemen?" Papa asked sleepily as Shawn walked past him.

"Tonight was perfect," Shawn smiled as he quietly walked into his bedroom and closed the door.