Status: This is the new shit, stand up and admit

Shadows From the Abyss

Meet the Grandparents

"So, I talked to Gloria yesterday," Shawn sighed as he and Papa Dave walked down the road, Bayley leading the way.

"Oh yeah? How's everything out there?"

"She wants us to come out for some silent dinner she's putting on," He stopped, letting Bayley sniff a tree.

"That's a long way for dinner."

"That's what I told her."

"Did she invite just you or all of us?"

"All of us," The pair continued walking in silence, both trying to think of what to say next. "I'd like to see her, but I don't think I'd want to go back there alone, ya know?"

"I can't blame you," Papa Dave shrugged, "what's a silent dinner anyway?"

"From my understanding it's where no one speaks or makes any noise if they can help it. It's supposed to help you understand what it's like to be deaf or something like that."

"Huh. That's kinda cool actually."

"What should I do? Should I go? She wants me to visit."

"How long would you want to stay?"

"Maybe like three days?"

"I'd probably shoot for five. That way the time difference isn't kicking your ass every day."

"Good point," Shawn sighed as they crossed the street into the park. "I don't know, man. I want to go but at the same time I really don't want to."

"Well I wouldn't go alone if I were you."

"Shit, you trying to go with me?"

"Not really," Dave laughed. "So we're meeting Art for dinner tonight at Emma Key's, yeah?"

"Yup at six after he gets off work."

"Where's he work at again?"

"Target working security during the day, 913 at night."

"I still can't believe we haven't been there yet. We should go see him some night while he's working."

Shawn smirked, "Okay, but back to California. Would you go with me?"

Papa Dave sighed. "I was kinda hoping to use my vacation time to go see The Church and King Crimson...."

"You can see them somewhere close and not use vacation time."

Dave smiled and put his hand on his grandson's shoulder. "We'll figure it out, okay? If you decide to go, I won't let you go alone."

*******************************************

Shawn sat on the bench seat outside of Emma Key's with his grandparents, looking over his shoulder every twenty seconds to see if Art was arriving yet.

"Bud, he's been off work for less than twenty minutes," Papa Dave finally said. "Give him a minute."

Shawn sighed, trying to calm his nerves. He knew his grandparents would adore his boyfriend but he was still dreading that initial meeting. He knew Mama K wasn't the biggest fan of the military and she was a few beers in. Please just don't say anything negative. Please. His cell phone dinged with a text message.

Sorry I'm running behind. Had to bust skulls of stupid teenagers. Almost there!

"He'll be here shortly," Shawn smiled, putting his phone back on the table.

"I told you." Papa Dave smiled reassuringly.

"So what's this I heard about a California trip?" Mama K asked, sipping her beer.

"Gloria asked, well kinda begged me to come out for some event she's wanting to do. It's called a silent dinner. You don't speak or make any noise. It's weird but a big thing apparently."

"She expects you to come all that way for that?" She suddenly laughed, a little too loud. "Oh shit she's just like her mother."

"She looks just like her," Shawn said quietly, feeling a little uncomfortable. He glanced around at the people around them, but none of them were paying his grandmother any mind.

"You really gonna let this boy go across the country for that?"

"If he wants to, Kelly, then yes," Dave said, a bit annoyed. "If he wants to go see his family, I'm all for it. Some pacific air might do him some good."

"Yeah, lotta good it did Iva-"

"Grandma, please." Shawn felt a bit defeated and honestly wanted to leave, his feeling of dread sinking deep in his gut.

"Shawny!" A voice called out and Shawn turned. When he finally caught a glimpse of Art strolling down the sidewalk he felt nothing but relief.

"Is that him?" Papa Dave asked, getting up.

Art had all the coolness he did the first night he and Shawn met. He hugged Shawn tightly and shook Dave's hand. "Wonderful to finally meet you, sir."

"Hell yeah man, how you doing?"

"Better now that I'm off. Kelly, how are you tonight?"

Shawn watched his boyfriend speak with his grandparents with a grace and finesse that he himself could never pull off. He made it look effortless, like he had this natural flow and could get along with anyone. He was charming, always had the right comment to make or the perfect punchline, always knew exactly what you were talking about.

"Yall wanna order food finally?" Papa Dave finally asked, finishing his beer.

"Thought you'd never ask," Art beamed. "What are yall drinking? I'll buy the next round."

God damn he was smooth!

*****************************************************

Shawn watched as his grandparents walked ahead, hoping they were out of earshot. "They really liked you."

"Thank God. I was hoping they didn't notice I was sweating bullets," Art smirked as the couple walked arm in arm towards their cars. "So what are you doing tomorrow? I have the day off."

"I'm free whenever," Shawn grinned. "So...I got an invitation to go home for a week."

"You gonna take it?"

"I think I might. Papa Dave offered to go with me if I want him to. Would you want to join me?"

"I'm flattered, but I can't miss that much work. Plus the thought of meeting your Dad...I'm not ready for that yet."

"Why?"

"Papa Dave might be tall but I can out run him if I need to-"

Shawn couldn't help but laugh. Papa Dave was the most easy going guy on the planet until you pissed him off. Then he just yelled at you and you thought you saw God and didn't move for the rest of the night.

"You Dad on the other hand could probably knock me flat on my ass without breaking a sweat."

Shawn's smile weakened, remembering the night he had gotten in the way of a punch meant for Billie. With as hard as it landed he was still surprised he made it out without a broken nose or jaw. "Yeah..."

"You okay, babe?"

Shawn shook his head. "Yeah, sorry. Just...thinking. It's gonna be weird. Last time I was there, I was breaking it to him I was dropping out of Berkeley."

"I can't do it," Shawn sobbed, "I can't fucking do it."

"Shawn, come on! I know it sucks and it's a lot but you can't just drop out," Tre said, trying to remain calm. "You're a smart kid, I know you can work through all of this."

"No! I can't fucking do it! I want to go home! I fucking hate it there!"

"Oh for fuck sake, Shawn. Have you even tried?"


"Why'd you drop out?"

"It just wasn't for me. Way too overwhelming. And when I was alone I was just having breakdown after breakdown."

"Nothing like collegiate pressure to add on to some lovely fresh mental scars,"

"Yeah the timing was just atrocious,"

The pair finally made it to the blue Volkswagen and stopped.

"Well Art, it was awesome finally getting to meet you," Papa Dave smiled warmly.

"Oh absolutely! You guy should come see me at 913 some time." He turned his attention to his boyfriend. "Date day tomorrow?"

"That'd be pretty cool, ya nerd." Shawn teased.

"I'll text you before bed, okay?"

"Alright. I l-"

"Shh!" Art winked before kissing Shawn's forehead. "Bye, babe."

Shawn watched Art as he walked to his red Dodge Ram parked across the street. He had hit the damn jackpot.