After the Crash

Chapter Twelve

It didn’t surprise me that Jen was being insubordinate, that was her usual setting. And usually, I would just ignore her. I only agreed to entertain her request because the other girls had a pesky habit of following her. Self-defense is an important skill for these girls to have and I was adamant about it. If sparring with Ren was what it took to convince them, then so be it. He approached, with his eyebrow raised, “if I agree to fight you, then you’ll listen to what I have to say?”

I let out an exacerbated breath; I could tell this wasn’t a question. I knew what he'd say, but I had to indulge him. I crossed my arms, as he stopped in front of me. I looked up; he was trying to use his height. For what? I wasn’t sure, but I wasn’t intimidated by him. “I’ll listen to what you have to say as long as you can manage to stay in this fight,” I shook my head, “and not a second longer.” I raised my eyebrow, “deal?” He smirked but nodded his head. I cracked my neck, “back up, and we’ll begin.”

“Don’t wanna start right here,” he looked down at me, still wearing that cocky grin.

“I want it to be a fair fight,” I looked at him, “wouldn’t wanna give myself an unfair advantage.”

He raised an eyebrow, “a little cocky, aren’t we?”

I wasn’t amused, “just back up.” He smiled at me but did what I told him. For a while, we both just sidestepped, neither willing to take the offensive. He opened his mouth to speak, but I stopped him, “don’t think I’m gonna entertain your thoughts if you’re not actually fighting.” He took a step forward, starting the attack, but I sidestepped. I’d learned to be quick on my feet; it was my biggest strength when there was a height or strength deficit. Then, I took a step forward and started with an easy combination, blocked right and blocked left, caught my third punch, but didn’t see my leg swing around.

He smiled after he staggered two steps back, “can I speak now?” I shrugged, and he came back with two fists, which I blocked and then sidestepped. “I don’t think it’s an accident that you found this guy,” he tried an attack again.

I pressed my foot in the back of his knee forcing him down, “you think he got caught by the PCD on purpose?” He was quick to try to sweep and as I was dodging got back up. “With his son," I was unconvinced, "that’s ridiculous,” I threw out another kick, and he caught my leg. I let him be my balance as I threw my other leg up and knocked him in the head.

He staggered again as I regained my balance, “he knows your name.” I raised my eyebrow. “PCD’s most wanted,” he said, gesturing me to make a move. I did, he sidestepped, caught me and kneed me in the back, “also mentioned a reward.”

“Common knowledge if you’ve got access to radio,” I threw my leg back, with a combination kick and then came out swinging. We were trading back and forth, “it doesn’t concern me.”

“I don’t see why not,” he said with a heavy breath, as he gave me a blow that knocked me to the ground, “the way he talked about you, he had expectations." He was standing over me as he continued, "it's like he was hoping to run into you. This wasn’t some serendipity shit.”

While he was yacking, standing over me, I spread my legs, knocking him from his stance onto the ground. We both jumped up. “This sounds like speculation,” I said, as we went at it again. I threw my arm, “paranoia.” Then I threw another one, “do you have any proof?”

I kicked, then threw a third punch, which he caught. He moved my hand behind, my back, managing to get me in a choke hold. “How the fuck am I supposed to get proof,” he said, “I’m just saying …”

I shut him up when I thrust my heel into his foot. I knew I could only do so much against his boot, but it was enough for me to elbow him with my free arm. He loosened his grip. I got my other arm free and found myself in exactly the position needed to perform the move I had tried to teach the girls. I used the little leverage I had to push back, then flip him over my head and back onto the floor. Boot to the neck, “save it for your case.”

I made a move to walk away victorious, but he grabbed my leg, catching me off guard and bringing me to the ground. Of course, this didn't make me too happy, but he wasn't done talking. “You’re letting your guard down,” he said as I threw my other boot at him. “You’re smarter than that,” he pinned me down. I immediately threw my hands at his shoulders, first rule of self-defense from this unfortunate position. He looked down, “you don’t turn a blind eye to these things, or else you might find yourself in a vulnerable position.”

I looked up at his smug face. He thought he had me. I wrapped my legs around him. He looked down at me unsure, as I used his position against him, using my momentum to rock us into a more fortuitous position. I was now on top, looking down at him, “don’t forget who you’re talking to.” He looked at me with an eyebrow raised. “I know how to protect myself, and I don’t appreciate you telling me otherwise,” I dug my knee into his abdomen, "I always come out on top." He smiled at me, again. I didn't like it. “Now," I looked down at him with a narrowed glance, "do I have to pull the knife out of my boot to finish this, or will you stay down?”

I raised my eyebrow as he nodded, that damn smile still on his face. Then, he put his hands up defensively, “you win.”

“Good,” I got off him, “we’re done here.” Then I put my hand out to help him up.

He took my hand but used it as leverage to get close. The type of closeness men attempt to use as a power play, making sure I know he’s close, and he’s looking down on me. I looked up, and he was still giving me that obnoxious grin. I wasn't amused. He let out a slight laugh, “that was a nice move there, at the end. Maybe sometime we could do this again,” he shrugged, “you could teach me a thing or two.”

He held my gaze. We were both breathing heavy, and I watched sweat bead down his admittedly attractive features. My breath became short, as my anger melted into something else. I looked down, noticing that our hands were still connected. I shook my head, let go, and pushed myself away from him. I caught my breath, turning back to address my audience of adolescent girls and Sam. I crossed my arms, looking at Jen, “how’s that?”

Jen smiled, “I’d definitely give it a try,” she shrugged, “if I could have Ren as a partner.” She looked at him, and then back at me, before whispering, “that was so hot.”

I put my hand to my head, trying not to speak too loudly, “self-defense, hand-to-hand combat, it’s not sexy, Jen.” I was frustrated, and gestured emphatically toward the space behind me, “that was not hot.”

“It kind of was,” Sam said.

“It’s like you get a kick out of undermining my authority,” I narrowed my eyes at Sam. He shrugged, and I just shook my head, “you want Ren to teach you how to fight, fine with me.” I turned toward him. Again, the short breath and slight hesitation. I swallowed, regained my composure quickly, then gestured toward them, “congrats, they’re all yours.” I turned, making my way back to the camp. I felt more flustered than frustrated and almost welcomed the excuse to leave. When I made it to the camp, I began pacing, anxiously in front of one of the tents. It wasn’t even mine.

“Hey,” Sarah scared me. I looked at her sweet smile as she continued, “how’d it go?”

“I’ll tell you how it went,” Sam came up behind me. I turned, noticing that everyone was returning to the camp. I shook my head, ignoring Sam, and turning back toward Sarah. She had a curious look on her face. “Let’s just say,” Sam started as he walked in front of me, placing himself at Sarah’s side, “Ky and Ren got a little intimate.”

I raised my eyebrow, “your wife has no time to listen to you make up stories.” Sarah opened her mouth, but I put my hand up, “I know, not married.” She looked at me, still wearing those curious eyes. I ignored them, “is dinner ready?”

She smiled, “actually, Rosa’s got dinner tonight,” she shrugged, “I’d rather hear about this intimacy.”

“You mean Sam’s hyperbole,” I raised my eyebrow. She nodded. I sighed, “fine. Jen was being a brat and refused to practice without some proof that these techniques could work. The solution,” I shrugged, “for her, was that I spar with Ren.” I shrugged again, “we did, I won, and that’s it.”

“Oh no,” Sam shook his head, “you don’t spar with me like that.”

“That’s because you can’t last more than three seconds in a fight with me,” I gave him a stern look. He raised his eyebrow, and I shook my head.

“Whitney was there,” he gestured. I turned back to find Whitney frozen as if she’d been caught doing something illegal. She straightened out, and Sam continued, “what did you think of the whole thing? The fighting? The arguing? Pinning each other on the ground? There was something goin' on, right?” Whitney looked back and forth between the two of us. I crossed my arms and raised my eyebrow. Then, Sam made another appeal, “come one, Whit.”

She let out a deep breath, “I mean, it wasn’t really anything, just what you’d expect when you let two people, who are attracted to each other, play fight.”

I almost choked at that statement, “attracted to each other?” I shook my head and looked at Sarah, “I think I might have to eat more tonight, so I have enough to throw up in response to that accusation.” She raised her eyebrow at me, and I shook my head, “you think I’m attracted to that arrogant ...”

“I know he’s attracted to you,” Sam said. I turned towards him, as he shrugged, “and your face was so flushed when the two of you were standing close.”

“That’s what happens when people exert energy,” I crossed my arms, wiping the smug look on his face.

“He’s attractive,” Whitney said. I glanced at her as she stepped to my side. She shrugged, “I’m just sayin’, he is, and I find it hard to believe that you haven’t noticed, you’re not blind, Ky.”

I shook my head, “no, I’m not blind, but I would still refute any accusation of attraction.” I looked at Whitney, “attraction is dangerous, you know this. The crash has rendered such luxuries a risk. I’ve said it several times,” I shook my head, “though no one seems to listen.” I let out a deep breath, “if someone feels attraction toward anyone, that person best bury it. They’ve no business feeling attraction, not post-crash.”

“Ky, that’s ridiculous,” she said.

“You can disagree,” I looked at her, “but you know where I stand on this issue. And I don’t want to hear it again. Now,” I looked between them, “get some food, I’ve got to prep for the vote tonight.” Sarah made a face, but I shooed them away. I spent a while in my tent, before coming out to see everyone finishing up by our small fire. I crossed my arms and leaned on one of the nearby trees.

“Hey,” I turned my head, finding Alex. I could make out his features better in this light. His hair was black, his eyes were brown, his beard was in complete disarray, and the color was lighter than his hair. It was prematurely greying. His eyes were deep set and heavy. He looked about Dal's height, but less proportional. His torso was very long, which made his legs look slightly awkward, but not enough to cause alarm.

I raised my eyebrow, “what are you doing over here?” I turned my head back toward the group, “you’re supposed to be over there schmoozing the people, so they vote for you.”

He shrugged, “I hear you’re the person to win over.”

I let out a slight scoff, “hate to break it to you, but you shouldn’t be concerned with me. I’m your defense. You’ve gotta worry about the guys,” I looked over at him, “specifically those three.” I pointed, then shrugged, “I’d say that’s it, but the younger girls are easily persuaded by the words of eligible men.” I turned my head, then looked at him unsure, “I’m actually surprised they haven’t made a pass at you. You’re eligible, and you’re not too old.” He looked at me unsure. I kept my arms crossed, turning my eyes back on the group, “I’d be remiss not to give you the same warning I’ve given them.” I turned back, “you toy with one of my girls,” I shook my head, “I mean, you so much as touch any of them, and I swear to god, I will see to it that you and …”

“Trust me,” he looked down at me, “you don’t have to worry, I’ve got no interest in your girls. There's only one person I've got my eyes on.” I raised an eyebrow, and he shrugged with a good-natured smile, "I'm talkin' about Luca."

“Good,” I kept my eyes forward, “then let’s do this.” I led him to the rest of the group and made my usual announcement for everyone to scoot toward one side. Alex and Luca sat on the other side, while Ren and I stood in the middle. “I hope that everyone had the opportunity to meet Alex and Luca,” I said, “as you probably know, I rescued these two from PCD custody. However, it is still not my place to determine who stays and who goes. So, we’re putting it up to a vote. I will make a case for these two, and because he severely doubts my judgment,” I looked at Ren, who was looking at me with an unamused expression, “Ren will be arguing against.” I moved my eyes to Alex and Luca, gesturing for them to stand, “please briefly introduce yourself to the group, and be sure to include any details you would like us to consider when making our decision.”