After the Crash

Chapter Four

I turned my head as the door slammed behind me, leaving me alone with Gabe. I looked at his slimy face. I crossed my arms. Gabe was an oaf, an enormous oaf. He was easily twice my size, towering over most of his men, and exceeding them in width as well. The smarmy expression he consistently wore forced me to keep my guard up. I didn’t know what he did before the crash, but he’d been handy enough to build up his own fort in the wake. He was also savvy enough to keep in the PCDs good graces. This made him less trustworthy. He kept a gun in his left holster, wore a dirty, ill-fitted sports coat, and to top off his western theme, a stupid little bolo tie. He wore dress shoes and always offered me a cigarette and a glass of whiskey. I never took his offer. “So, what can I do you for this time, baby doll,” he sat in his seat and threw his legs up on the desk.

“I need ammo, and a few other supplies” I took the paper out of my pocket and pushed it toward him, “I made a list.” I took the small bag out of my bra and poured it out, “this should be more than enough.” There was a mix of jewels and PCD papers, which I knew he sold to those passing through. He gave me a skeptical look. I just shrugged, “took it off a couple guys who tried to attack my party.”

“You took down a few PCD officers,” he raised an eyebrow.

“They were scouts,” I nodded, before putting my hands on his desk and leaning toward him, “they threatened my party.”

“Someday you’re gonna bite off more than you can chew protecting all ‘em dollies,” he placed his feet on the ground as he sat up straight in his chair. He took the cigar from his mouth, leaned forward, and pointed at me, “I’d trade an eighth of my entire arsenal for some of those goods you’ve been hoarding.” He took another puff of his cigar, then continued, “I’d pay half for you.”

I crossed my arms, “I pay you just fine.” He looked at me with his roving eyes, smirking the entire time. “and I wouldn’t let you or your men near my girls, even if you offered me an armed PCD convoy, stocked with weapons, ammo, and good men that wouldn’t betray me.” I stood up straight, “they deserve better. Now, get me my stuff.” He looked at me hard before taking my payment and knocking on the backdoor. He handed the payment to his inventory boy and the door shut.

I followed him with my eyes, as he moved back to his seat. He took another puff, “this new guy out there,” he raised an eyebrow, “he’s good looking.”

“Hadn’t noticed,” I shrugged.

“Sure,” he let out an amused breath, “and I suppose you’ll try to tell me you’re not sleepin’ with the guy.”

I let out a slight laugh, glancing at the backdoor. Any minute the boy’d come back with my goods. “I’ve told you time and again,” I looked at him hard, “I’m no dolly. I don’t mess around.” He raised his eyebrow, “not with him, not with you, and not with anyone.”

He stood up. He walked around his desk and looked down at me. He put his hand on my shoulder, “maybe messing around is just what you need, relax the tension in these shoulders.” I swatted his hand away. He let out a slight laugh, “you’re a tease, Ky.” He walked around, back to the other side of his desk. He looked at me. Then the backdoor opened, and the boy handed Gabe a duffel bag. He held it as the boy disappeared, and I raised my eyebrow. He pushed it toward me, “I hope you remember why you remain in my good graces, else I might just mention your name to one of my PCD contacts.” I held his threatening eyes but said nothing. “Rumor has it,” he shrugged, “you’re worth a pretty penny.”

I took the bag. I started pulling supplies out, assuring I was getting my moneys worth. Every so often, I lifted my eyes assuring that Gabe wasn’t moving. He kept his eye on me. I repacked the bag, then I leaned forward on the desk, looking him in the eye. “If you were gonna turn me into the PCD,” I threw the bag over my shoulder, “you would have done it already.” He smiled at me, amused. “It was nice doing business with you,” I said as I stood up straight. He let out a slight laugh, standing up to let me out. I looked around the room as I walked toward the door. We’d be heading north in a few days and I probably wouldn’t see this room anytime soon. I wasn’t about to give Gabe this information. He wouldn’t be happy. Before we got to the door, there was a crash outside. We stopped. The two of us looked at each other, before exiting back into the main room. There was a brawl happening. I let out an exasperated breath. This is why you don’t bring a man to do a woman’s job, it complicates matters. I saw Ren punch a guy, then another, and then one guy pulled out a pistol. I rolled my eyes, grabbed the gun from Gabe’s holster, and shot at the guy with the pistol. I shot the gun out of his hand. Then I promptly returned the pistol to his holster, “what the fuck is going on?”

“This bitch said ya’ll were packin’ up,” Jay said. I shot a glance at Ren, before Jay continued with a slight laugh, “course, we said Ky must be payin’ her debt with Mr. Gabe.” I raised my eyebrow. He went on, “then he insulted our intelligence, even Mr. Gabe’s. Said she ain’t givin' him nothing.”

“Packin’ up,” Gabe looked at me. He grabbed my arm and pulled me toward him, “did you think you could lead me on and then just leave? Did you think I wouldn’t send people after you?”

I looked at him, “I know you’re not a fool. You can’t afford to lose too many men. I’m not worth the effort.” I sent another glance to Ren, “you would have never known, but someone had to open their damn mouth.” I nodded, and he pulled my Victory pistol from behind his back, sent a quick shot at Gabe’s shoulder, forcing him to release my arm. I then took the knives that I strategically placed in my bun, sent one toward Jay, who was ready to shoot Ren and another toward one of the drunk fools ready to defend Gabe. I then took Gabe’s gun and my bag of supplies. I carefully scanned the room. A few men put their hands up. I started moving toward Ren, who held his gun and scanned the room with a similar degree of severity. One guy made a move and I shot him in the foot. I walked over to the table and he covered me as I put my belt on and returned all my knives to the proper position. I put my jacket on and then tossed him his jacket. He put it on, returned the small revolver to his boot. I tossed his rifle toward him and then took one more shot at Gabe’s knee, “that’s for feeling me up earlier.” I put the gun behind my back and then grabbed my rifle. “You go, and I’ll cover your back.” He nodded in confirmation, before he went out first and I followed.

Everything was quiet for a while. We were almost out, when someone emerged from the saloon to give the order. We ran out of town through a storm of bullets. Once we were sufficiently safe with cover, I looked at my accomplice. “Good shot,” I nodded as we stopped. I took a knife out of my boot, “you okay?”

He nodded, “a bullet grazed my left arm, but I think other than that, I’m okay.”

“You deserve that for opening your mouth,” I looked at him. Then I handed him my knife, “I got one in my shoulder,” I took my jacket off, “no time to sterilize, now, I’ll have Sam clean it up when we get back to camp.” I pulled my shirt down a bit, so he could dig it out. He didn’t say or do anything. “You’ve done this before, right?”

“Yeah,” he said, “aren’t you in pain?”

“Haven’t you heard,” I smiled to myself, “I’m bionic, I don’t feel pain.” He poked the knife into my skin. I stayed as still as I could as he took the bullet out. I winced at the slight sting. “There’s some tape and gauze in the bag,” I nodded, “apply it sparingly and then I’ll wrap your arm.”

“You need stitches,” he said.

I nodded, “when we get back.” He finished up. I stood up and turned around. “Take off your jacket, and show me your arm,” he did as I said. I examined his upper arm, where a bullet had definitely grazed the skin. I wrapped it, “you’ll live.” I let go of his arm, “make sure you clean it out when we get back and change the bandages. We don’t need anyone dying of an infected wound.” I started back, “it’s a stupid way to die.” I looked back, he hadn’t moved yet. “We gotta move,” I said simply, “they’ll worry if we don’t get back on time.”

Everything was quiet for a while and then he spoke up, “you were walking a thin line back there.”
I looked at him, “Only trouble I’ve ever had in Liberty is when men tag along. Sam used to be the same way. Thought he could protect me.” I paused, “I’ve faced the worst of it. I can handle myself. If you want to save someone, do what Sam did. Find a girl like Sarah.” I looked at him searching for understanding. I just shook my head, when he didn’t return the correct expression.

“If I wasn’t there …”

“It was a good shot,” I stopped him, “but it wouldn’t be necessary if you hadn’t felt the need to insert yourself into the situation.”

“I get it,” he said.

“Then you’ll listen to me from now on,” I raised my eyebrow. He said nothing. I rolled my eyes, as we continued our journey back. We walked a several miles before we arrived at our camp site.

Whitney walked over to me, looking at Ren, who walked back toward his comrades. “He went with you,” she raised her eyebrow. I answered with a slight grunt as I moved past her to get to Sam’s tent, where he was probably lounging. “How did that go,” she questioned and then answered herself, “I bet Gabe wasn’t too thrilled.”

“Idiot mentioned that we were leaving. I got a bullet to my shoulder.” I looked at her and then I peeked into Sam’s tent, “Nurse Jackie,” I glared at him as he jumped up from his nap, “I need stitches, now.”

“Seriously,” he sat up and looked at me.

“Yeah,” I nodded, “I’d stitch it myself, but I can’t reach. So, would you please get your ass out of bed and make yourself useful.”

He glared at me as he grabbed his stuff, “don’t be crabby, just cuz you went and got yourself shot.”

I rolled my eyes, “if I’m crabby, it’s because one of my guns is napping into the early evening when I’m away. And I didn’t get myself shot, that idiot got me shot. Tell me again why we opted to keep these people around.” Sam started cleaning the wound and I winced.

“You’re fine,” Sam said as he started stitching it up, “if you were in any real pain you wouldn’t be complaining about getting shot, you’d be complaining about the pain.”

“One day I’ll have to shoot you in the shoulder,” I mumbled audibly, “show you how it feels.”

He just let out a slight laugh, as he finished up, “alright, you’re good.”

I pulled my jacket over my shoulder and moved out. Whitney was right behind me and I walked over to where Sarah was doing dinner. She prepared a plate for Whitney and I raised an eyebrow, “your husband’s a lazy man.”

“He’s not my husband,” Sarah said as she tipped a plate toward me. I shook my head. She rolled her eyes, “as I recall, someone refused to let us hold a wedding ceremony.”

“You should thank me,” I said, “he’s a lazy man.” She laughed, and I crossed my arms, “I got some more food, and some medicine.” She nodded as she made a plate for Val. I watched Val walk the plate over to one of the new guys and then looked at Sarah, “why are our girl’s still serving them like they’re guests?”

Sarah shrugged, “the girl’s like doing it, they’re young and they’re attracted to the new guys.” She let out a slight laugh, “I see no harm in letting them flirt.” I made a face and then she continued, “Val and Eric have hit it off,” she pointed and the two of them were apart from the rest of the group. I raised an eyebrow, and she smiled with sincerity. “Most of the girls are interested in Ren, but no interest has been returned, and Mac is too mature for the girls. He’s more interested in Whitney.”

Whitney chocked, and I looked at her with my arms crossed. “We only talked for a little bit when we were on watch yesterday,” she was blushing. I gave her a skeptical glance. She shook her head, “it’s nothing, Ky.”

“Just don’t let me catch you playing footsie,” I looked at her and then at Sarah, “I don’t appreciate you playing good cop, so I have to go over there and play bad cop.” I walked over to the circle, where everyone was eating. “Hey Val,” I pushed them apart and looked at him, “at least five inches at all times, and if you have trouble remembering that just think about when Sarah gave birth, all the blood and, well you remember, you fainted just watching.” She scooted away, and I looked at the other girls, “same goes for all of you, five inches between all hormonal females and men.”

“Come on, Ky,” Jen looked at me, “we don’t need chaperones.”

“And guys,” I snapped and all three of them looked at me, “I know its nice to be waited on, but we get our own food here, so I would appreciate that you not take advantage of these girls.” Then I moved toward Mac, “you and I, third watch, we’re going to talk.”

He turned around, “what?”

I looked at him, “don’t worry, I’m just trying to get a handle on all the new members of my party, I’ve spent ample time with the lawyer, you’re next. I’ll handle that deviant later,” I looked to Eric and Val, then yelled, “five inches Val or I will see to it that everyone here is sterilized.”

Ren got up, “why don’t you calm down, take a seat, have something to eat.”

I shook my head, ignoring him. I turned to head toward Dale’s tent, but turned back, “never tell me to calm down. In fact, you should avoid getting in my way.” I started moving.

“Wait,” he grabbed my arm.

I looked at his hand on my arm and then at his face, “and don’t touch me.” He moved his hand and opened his mouth, but I had no time, “don’t touch anyone, but especially don’t touch me.” I then headed to Dale’s tent to see what needed to be done to leave in the next day.