After the Crash

Chapter Six

Everything was going smooth. We managed to get our camp packed up quick, and with the extra hands, we were traveling lighter. We were on route for the first time in months. We had stayed there for much too long because of Sarah and the baby. Sam wanted to avoid stress on Sarah in her last month, and the two of them thought it best to stay put until the baby was ready. This had been put to a vote, and everyone seemed to agree on the safety of the baby. I was uncomfortable with the decision. Staying in one place too long can be dangerous. We’d been lucky. And now, I can breathe easier as we resume our previous travel tendencies. Move for several days at a time, then rest for a few, and repeat. It was afternoon; we had plenty of daylight and the cover of the deep forest, which we could keep for days according to my maps. I opened one as everyone was resting. It was full of small notes, either made from my experience or from comparisons I’d made with several other maps. I was trying to figure out what we could manage by the end of the day. Whitney came to my side. She pushed a water bottle toward me, “how’s it looking, boss?”

“Good,” I took a sip, “there’s a river some miles ahead that might pose a concern.” I pointed down the map, “there’s a dam here, so if it’s held, then we should be able to cross easily.” She raised her eyebrow, and I ignored the question floating in the air. What if the dam hasn’t held? She sighed, then nodded, and I folded the map, “how are the kids doing?”

“Zack and Maddie are fine walkin', Rylee has monopolized the second seat in the stroller, and Cody, Bella, and Shay are taking turns getting piggyback rides from Eric.” I looked over at the guy, he was a natural with the kids, but I didn’t like the relationship he was forming with Val, the girl has already proved herself fertile, and I didn’t need another baby. I’d have to keep my eyes on that. I moved my eyes to the other newcomers. Mac was talking with Rosa, and Ren was with Jen and Lola.

Whitney shook her head, "think my sister's ever gonna stop making a fool of herself."

"She's nineteen," I shrugged, "I could hardly breathe right if I was in the same room as a guy I liked." She gave me a curious look, as I rarely defended Jen's actions. I let out a deep breath, "I'm just saying, nothing she does surprises me." I looked over again, and rolled my eyes, "I just hope he doesn't take advantage of your sister, or any of these girls."

"I don't think he's got any interest in them," she let out a small laugh.

I responded with an indifferent shrug, then returned to the situation at hand: efficient travel. I nodded, “let Bella have a turn in the stroller, Rylee can walk for a bit.” Dale and Sam had worked together to rig an old stroller so that we could push it easily in the forest terrain. “If necessary,” I looked at her, “force Sam to hold his child, the baby’s lighter than the other kids.” It wouldn’t be hard to put together a baby sling, then Sam could hold his baby, and the kids would complain less. Whit nodded, and I smiled, “how’s Cheyanne doing, I know her ankle’s still weak.”

She looked over, “hasn’t complained once.”

“Good,” I took one more sip of the bottle, then returned it to Whitney. “Alright,” I said, “we gotta move, Dale and Mac, take up the rear, Whit, and I will take the lead, we’ve still got at least four hours of light ahead of us. Let’s make the best of it.” Everyone groaned as they got up. I picked up my backpack, then took the lead position. We walked for several miles before we came across the river. Even approaching, I could tell that the dam hadn’t held up. “Dammit,” I muttered looking at the strong current, “hold.” I threw my hand up. The group paused, as Whitney and I approached the rushing water. I had to think of a plan. “Old maps and broken dams,” I shook my head. She raised her eyebrow, and I let out a deep breath “there was a lot of rain this winter, and the melted ice probably did us no favors.”

“We could walk down river a bit, there might be a safer place to cross,” Whitney looked at me.

I shook my head, “we could spend hours walking, and we’ve no guarantee that we’d find a safer place to cross. Besides,” I looked at her, “the further we move down river, the further off course we get.” I looked around, attempting to figure out a way to cross. I examined the current, debating whether I’d be able to cross it. I wasn’t ruling it out, but I did notice a sturdy tree. I walked over, then put my hand on the tree to make sure it hadn’t been hollowed out. It seemed sturdy. I then looked across the river to find another tree that could aptly support the weight. There was one that looked equally strong. “We have rope,” I asked Whitney. She nodded. If we can get a strong connection running from this tree,” I patted the solid tree, “to that one,” I pointed, “then I think we can get everyone across, but we’d have to…”

I was interrupted, “we can’t move down river.” Ren and Mac approached. I raised an eyebrow, then Ren continued, “we’d lose hours.”

I nodded, “I know, but if we use rope to create a solid line from this tree to that one,” I pointed across the river, “then I think we can cross safely.”

He nodded, “that could work.”

“How are you gonna get the rope to the other tree,” Whitney looked at me.

“Well,” I shrugged, before moving closer to the water. I leaned down, dipping my hand in to feel the speed of the water, and then nodded. I stood up, returning to them, “I could probably get across.”

“Not gonna happen,” Ren shook his head. I looked at him, with my eyebrow raised. He held firm, "the current's too strong."

“Ky," Whitney appealed, “he's right, it'd easily carry you away." I crossed my arms, and she continued, "If anyone's gonna cross, it'd have to be Eric or Ren or ...”

“Absolutely not,” I shook my head, “it’s too dangerous.”

She laughed, “I’m not suggesting someone actually get in the water. I’m just saying, their weight gives them an advantage.”

I let out a deep breath, then looked at her. She was probably right. Then I looked around at everyone, and it hit me. I turned to Whitney, “get me the biggest knife we’ve got.” She looked at me unsure about my request. I pointed, “if I tie the rope to the knife and throw it, then the connection would be strong enough to hold one person.” She looked at me with her eyebrow raised. I continued, “that person could secure the connection on the other end.”

“That could work,” Ren agreed. Whitney still looked skeptical but went to get me a knife. I climbed up to the second branch and tied the rope to the knife. I took my aim, and the first try didn’t go. I fished it out of the river, then tried again. This time it stuck. I gave it a tug to assure that it would hold firm, and it seemed stuck in the tree. I tied my end of the rope around the tree; then I made a move to cross. “Wait,” Ren looked at me. I looked at him unsure, and he put his hand up, “I’ll cross.”

“I’m lighter,” I looked at him, “it’ll hold my weight better.”

“Maybe," he shrugged, "but if it gives,” he gave me a stern look that I didn't appreciate, “I’d fare better in the current.” I looked at him skeptically. I didn’t need someone protecting me. He let out a deep breath, continuing, “besides, you should be over here." I raised my eyebrow, and he continued, "you know, to make sure everyone gets across.”

“Fine," I reluctantly agreed, "but if it gives, hold on tight, and we’ll pull you in.” I looked at Mac, “hold this end because if your friend falls, we’ll have to pull him in, and I’ll need your help.” Mac got into place, holding onto the rope, lightly. Ren began crossing, and I held my breath.

He got to the other side with ease. Then he climbed into a good position, before yelling over, “give a little on your end so I can tighten it.” I nodded, loosening the rope on my side so that he could secure it on his end. “Alright,” he yelled, and I resecured it on my end. He continued, “send Whitney over so she can help everyone on the ground.”

I nodded, and Whitney crossed. “Dale,” I looked at him, “toss anything you can across to Whit, we want to make as few trips as possible.” He did as I told him. Then I looked toward Sam, “you go first, get the baby across, then Eric you can take Rylee on you back, Mac, you can take Shay. Rosa, can you handle the stroller?” She nodded, and then I looked at Zack and Maddie, “I need the two of you to be brave, can you get across?” They both nodded. I did the same, then looked back at the guys, “one of you will have to come back across for Bella, then Dale, you can take Cody.”

“I can get across,” Cody said.

“I know you can,” I smiled at the kid, then shook my head, “but your mom and I would feel better if Dale took you.” I felt slightly at ease once all the children were across. Then, I saw Jen getting ready to take up the rope. “I’m sorry Jen, but you’re gonna have to wait, mothers get priority,” I nodded toward the others, “Sarah, Nikka, and Val get to cross first.” She gave me the usual, disgruntled expression, but nodded. I then motioned for Sarah to go first. She gave me a look of objection, but I shook my head, “Your baby needs you. Do you really trust Sam to take care of him?” She did as I said, then Val, then Nikka. I looked down, “now Cheyanne, then Cali.” Jen looked at me, and I shook my head, “they’re younger. I know you’re strong, Jen, and you know Cheyanne’s got a bad leg.” I watched the two younger girls across, then nodded for Jen to go.

“Wait,” Ren yelled across, “the rope is snagging, can you give a little more on your side.”

I gave as much as I could without giving up the tree’s support, “how’s that?”

He yelled, “a little more.”

"I can't give anymore," I yelled. He looked down at Whitney and Mac; then they said something I couldn't hear. I took a moment to think. There was a branch below the one we were currently using. It didn’t have the same footholds or stability that the upper branch has had, but it looked strong. It stretched out further, which would allow me to give more of the rope. "Wait," I called over, "I've got an idea." I untied the rope, climbed down, and tied it around my waist. I would use my legs to hold onto the tree and felt confident that I could hold the rope steady. I called over, “how’s that?”

“That's a bad idea," he yelled back.

I ignored him, "just tell me if you have enough rope to secure it on your end."

He didn't move at first but then began pulling the rope to fasten it to the tree. I scooted forward a bit to give him some extra rope. "It's secure," he yelled, "but how the hell do you intend on gettin’ across?"

“We’ll figure it out when they’re safe,” I responded.

“I don’t know about this, Ky,” he yelled back, but I ignored him.

“Jen, Lola,” I looked at them, “you’re gonna have to climb over me, but one at a time. I don’t think this branch can hold the weight of three.” They looked at me unsure. I rolled my eyes, “Ren, tug on the rope, show the girls that the connection is strong.” He looked at me with blatant disapproval. I yelled again, “tug on the damn rope.” He did as I said, proving the connection was strong enough. Jen climbed up. “Careful,” I said as I looked down, the river was flowing beneath me, and she started. I watched her, then pulled back as I held onto the rope. Both Jen and Lola were light enough for me to hold. As soon as Jen made it across, I looked at Lola, “alright, your turn, watch your step.” She slipped slightly trying to get around me. I grabbed her dress, steadying her. She looked at me unsure, and I just gave her that look that meant do as I say. She started crossing reluctantly, then it started. I felt the branch breaking beneath our weight. I looked back, and it was breaking in the middle.

The branch made a louder, snapping sound and Lola stopped, “what was that?"

‘Lola,” I said, “keep movin'.”

It happened again. The branch bent, I sank in my seat, and because of this, the rope moved. “What’s going on,” Whitney yelled.

“The branch isn’t gonna hold much longer, Whit,” I yelled, “keep Lola moving.” She went a little further but stopped at the snapping sound, “Lola, that’s not helping,” I yelled. She continued moving, and I was able to see her reaching for Whitney’s hand when the branch gave. I fell into the cold water. I was lucky that I had tied the rope around my waist because the current was much stronger than I anticipated. I lost my grip within seconds of hitting the water. I closed my eyes, trying to control my movements, and then grabbed for the rope. I managed to get my hands on the rope, then fought to get my head above water for a breath. When I got my head up, I heard the commotion on the shore. There was panic, and orders to pull the rope.

It seemed that every inch I was able to move forward, the current pulled me back further. I held on tight, only coming up for air when I needed. The water made it impossible to gauge my progress. As I came up for air one time, I heard someone yell, “the rope is snagging.” Shit, I tried to get further before the rope broke. I wasn’t sure where it was snagging, but I must have made some progress. I heard a voice much closer, “grab my hand.” I threw my hand out, letting go of the rope, and then felt someone pulling me toward the shore. “Here,” the voice said, “grab onto the rope.” My hand was guided back to the rope. Then, when the current pushed me back, I felt whoever it was pushing both of us forward against the water.

It was apparent that someone had climbed into the river. I could feel their hands on the rope as well, helping me move forward, pushing me until Whitney grabbed my hand. “Quick,” help me pull them in. She pulled, then someone helped. I started choking on the water as she pulled me into a hug, “thank God.” She moved her head, and I followed, finding an equally soaked Ren not too far from me. She threw her arms around him, “thank you.” Then when she released, she looked back, “someone get them a blanket, or something warm.”

He looked at me with the same look that I suspect I was giving him. Disapproval. What he did was reckless. It was stupid. I coughed some more, then threw my jacket aside because it was soaked. Someone threw a blanket over me, but I quickly took it off, standing up. “We need to keep moving,” I said, before coughing again.

“Christ, Ky,” Dale said, “take a second to catch your breath.”

“Everyone get ready to move,” I said. Dale raised his eyebrow, and I shrugged, “I’m fine.” I looked over at Ren. I raised an eyebrow, “you good to move?” He just nodded, and I continued, “see, we’re good.” We paused for another few minutes. I squeezed out my hair and jacket, returned the blanket to one of the bags, then threw my jacket over my shoulder, “alright, we’ve still got a good bit to walk before we can rest for the night.” I looked around, “Mac, Ren,” I looked at them, “take the lead. Whit and I will take up the back.”

As we started moving, Whit raised her eyebrow at me. “What,” I looked at her, and she gave me a nod. I let out a deep breath “I guess you were right, the current was stronger than me.”

She shook her head, “you gotta thank Ren.”

I raised my eyebrow, “for being reckless?” She shook her head with disapproval, but I went on, “I don’t remember asking him to get in that river. I don’t need anyone riskin’ their lives for me.” She sustained the same expression. I shrugged, as I let out an exacerbated breath, “I got everyone across the river safe, didn’t I?”

“And almost killed yourself doin’ it,” she looked at me.

“That river couldn't kill me,” I smiled, “the only thing he saved me from is an extra bump or bruise. That doesn’t call for thanks.” She just shook her head; then we continued moving. After walking for several hours, we found a clearing. Dale took up his leadership role, the guys got straight to starting a fire, Sarah worked on dinner, and the rest of us pitched tents. Dale gave the night watch orders, I had second shift with Eric and third shift with Whitney. After Dale finished, I resigned to my tent to read a bit before my first watch shift.