Sequel: Welcome to the Family
Status: FINISHED! Thank you everyone!

Vengeance Is Mine

Terrible At Introductions

(Zephyr's POV)

My name is Zephyr Ally King or as my friends like to call me Zak. My horrid twin sister is named Zoey and she just so happens to be dating my best friend and secret crush, Zack Baker. I have known about Zack since as long as I can remember, the first day we moved to Huntington Beach actually. I was about three and he was the same age, his parent's came to meet us to welcome my family into the neighborhood. He had a head of dark hair and insane green eyes with cute chubby cheeks to match. My parents were your typical surfer people. My dad had long dirty blonde hair done in dreadlocks while my mother had a shaved head. They had lived in Venice Beach until Zoey and I were first born according to mom because dad wanted a fresh start and craved newer waves to ride. Zoey is your typical long haired blonde cheerleader while I had insanely short dark hair and looked like your average trouble maker. You'd never know we were twins unless you looked at us face to face.

My parent's were also obsessed with the surfing/skateboarding scene in the late 70's, hence where I had gotten my name from. I was always proud of it though, because I had admired the love of skating and surfing just like my dad. He used to always tell me how much he loved me more than Zoey, because I loved the same things he did and she hated them. Dad could never get Zoey to do the things he loved to do, she thought they were for boys. Dad always said I was going to be different, because I always stayed true to myself and never did anything I didn't want to just to impress anybody. My dad was my rock, he was my protector. I always imagined having my dad until I was old and wrinkled, telling him stories about the good times we always had together. We used to go down to the beach and catch an early morning set just as the sun would rise. My dad even used to bring Zack along too sometimes and would always try to teach him how to surf even though he wasn't much good at it. I always thought the time we spent together would bring us closer to more than just friends as we got older, but it didn't. He fell for Zoey in the end.

Then when I turned 13, my life had completely fell apart. My dad had gotten really sick. We thought it was just maybe a bad case of food poisoning or something so simple. But it wasn't. Turns out dad had stomach cancer, the most aggressive and hard to handle kind. I watched my hero deteriorate right before my eyes and in a matter of months, he was gone. On Christmas morning was the final time I got to say I love you to my hero. At dad's funeral Zack and his parents came to pay their respects but Zoey made sure Zack gave her all the comfort. I was left to stand alone with mom who to this day, five years later, has never been right since. Now at 18, I still take care of the responsibilities that dad used to. I help fix mom's car whenever something doesn't sound right, I help fix little things around the house, I make sure there's money for the utility bills and the rent with my shitty job at a surf shop all while attending the dreaded Huntington Beach High School where everyone including my sister and besides my friends call me a freak.

Zack, Matt, Brian, Jimmy, Val, Michelle, and I, were all our own little group. Johnny didn't attend school with us but he always made it a priority to be wherever we were at all times. Zoey stayed as far away from us as possible besides the fact she was dating Zack. The other's couldn't stand her and I didn't blame them one bit, she was a total bitch. We weren't the only twins in the school either, Michelle and Val were the others except they were identical and we weren't, thank God for that. Oddly enough they each were dating Matt and Brian, so the only one left was Jimmy. He had made it clear that he had feelings for me at one point but I kept it strictly platonic and friendly. Zacky was the main reason I was still stupid enough to believe in love. "Hey, Zephyr!" Val calls out to me suddenly as I cross the main hallway of our school's campus. I stopped, giving her a moment to catch up to me. I smiled when she came near, giving me a small hug. "What's up?" She handed me a small flyer. "Avenged is playing a gig tomorrow tonight, you're coming aren't you? It's a pre Halloween show so you're supposed to wear a costume." I grinned wide with excitement. As if I'd be anywhere else on a Saturday night in this town. "Of course. I'm sure Zoe is going too?" I bit down on my cheek at the last part.

She nodded sadly, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Don't give up, Zeph. He'll see what he's missing eventually, Zoey is just his way of showing that he's got horrible taste." I just sighed before tucking the flyer into my back pants pocket. "Hey girls. Where's lover boy at?" Matt asked as he came behind us suddenly, giving Val a peck on the cheek. I pointed over my shoulder towards the center quad where Zack stood next to Zoey while she blabbed away with her stupid cheerleader friends. "Jesus, does he not know how weird he looks next to her? No offense Zeph, but your sister is a total sl-" Val quickly put her hand to his mouth, shushing him up instantly. Believe me buddy, you have no idea how much I think that too. I'm not even sure she really is my sister honestly, I think the hospital gave us the wrong child to bring home. "Hey guys." Zack's voice came next as he walked over towards the three of us. I scrunched up my nose in disgust as Zoey passed by, purposely blowing Zack a kiss so I would notice. God I hated her so much. "Hey Zee." We all said with a smile.

He ruffled up my hair with his hands as I swatted them away, sighing again. "So Zeph, you're coming to the gig tomorrow night right?" I nodded for the thousandth time. "Yep and so is hoey, I mean Zoey." I corrected myself with a smirk, seeing Val try her hardest to stifle a laugh. "I'm sure she'll have a great costume. Lingerie is all the rage for strippers." Zack rolled his eyes before looking over at Matt who just threw his hands up in defense. "This is why it's not easy dating twins, dude. One always is in competition with the other." I groaned loudly now before pushing between them and heading off to my last class of the day, science. "You better answer your phone, Zephyr! I'll be calling you in a couple of hours after school!" Val yells loudly as I walk away from the group, brushing past my sister and her friends in the hallway. "Hey, look! It's your evil freak show twin!" One of the tall football players comments before then proceeding to throw the very ball at me, hitting me in the back of the head.

I glanced quickly over at Zoey who, of course, didn't defend me and didn't say one word. Not that I expected her to though. Zoey never came to my defense no matter what happened. Not when we were kids and certainly not now as teenagers/young adults. I was disappointed to honestly even call her my sister. "Zephyr!" I turn once more, seeing Zack now racing to catch up to me. I keep walking, paying him no mind. "Hello, wait up!" I finally stop a mere couple of inches from my classroom door. "You okay?" He asks with a concerned look in his eyes once he reaches me. I nod, shrugging. "Totally fine. I'll see you tomorrow Zee." I spun around before walking inside my class, leaving him standing there. "See you." He mouths before heading his own way until we were both out of sight from each other. I sat in my usual seat in the far back corner, my mind instantly wandering off.

"Daddy! Zack doesn't wanna surf! He wants to sit and watch Zoey play dolls!" my 8 year old self whined loudly as I watched my best friend sit and play with my sister instead of catch waves with my dad and I like he always did. Daddy came out of the water and pulled me into his side, a smile never leaving his face. "That's because he's got a crush." He whispered into my ear, pointing over at the two. Zack's eyes were transfixed on the girl as she brushed the small doll's hair. I remember I pouted and stomped around because I was so angry at him for being in love with my sister. "Zack loves Zoey!" I teased him loudly, taunting him every chance I had until my daddy had finally made me stop, saying it wasn't polite to make fun of people and that I wouldn't like it if it was me being teased. He was right, dad was always right. But it still hurt my tender young heart as I watched my best friend stop doing the things he used to with me all the time and spend more time with my sister and making her happy. "I wish you never existed!" I screamed at Zoey when we had finally gotten home that same day, the tears pouring down my face. She laughed and pushed me down onto the floor. Mom hugged me tight and sent Zoey to her room for being so bratty. She said I would find someone to like me some day too but to not grow up so fast. But Daddy always said the right things that made me feel better instantly. "Don't be so glum, chum. You're a heart breaker, just like dad. You'll have boys liking you soon enough but for now, the waves and me are all you need."

When my mind finally wandered back down to Earth, I realized class was already pretty much over and I didn't write a single note down. Oh well, story of my life. When the bell finally rang, releasing us from this prison until Monday, I couldn't get the hell out of there fast enough. I practically ran passed everyone, only stopping when I heard my name being called. I really have to stop doing that, honestly. Because it was only my sister and her stupid jock friends. "What?" I asked bluntly as I approached her. She smirked wickedly before announcing that she was going to the Halloween dance with Zack. "Big deal." I mutter as I start to walk away from her. She immediately pulls me back by my backpack and yanks me over towards her. "It is a big deal, because I want to win Scream Queen so I better not see you talking to him, we have practicing to do for the dance. He doesn't need any distractions." I snort loudly now before shoving her roughly aside, beginning to walk away again. "Go have fun playing tackle football with the whole team, I'm sure you're pretty good at being tossed around by now." I then proceed to flip her the bird as I make my way towards home now.

So as I've said before, my name is Zephyr and this is my horrid life that you've gotten a glimpse at so far. I'm obviously terrible at introductions but I'd advise you to stick around, if you'd like, it's definitely going to get better from here on out. Because I was determined to win Zack's heart if it was the last thing on Earth.
♠ ♠ ♠
For all those wanting to see the characters, here is Zoey and here is Zephyr just click on the names! I have this story and another I am working on so I promise I will update as much as possible! Enjoy everyone, feedback is always appreciated it! xo