Sequel: Welcome to the Family
Status: FINISHED! Thank you everyone!

Vengeance Is Mine

Almost Happy Thanksgiving

(Zephyr's POV)

Thanksgiving break was finally here and I was dreading it. I had no where to stay since Val and Michelle were leaving out of town for the week, despite their parents agreeing that it wasn't because they didn't trust me alone, it was because they just didn't want me to be alone. It was a family holiday and they felt as such that I should be spending it with my family. If only they knew that wasn't an option. I opted out for staying with Jimmy in the end, because he wasn't leaving until actual Thanksgiving day. It was totally awkward, because it truly seemed to me like he was trying to use it to his advantage and that bothered me more than anything.

I was staying in his older sisters room while she was out of town visiting her boyfriend. It was a big room with lots of pink, that was the most annoying thing. I hated that color more than life itself. Jimmy's parents were making dinner and Jimmy was downstairs waiting for some show to come on TV while I stayed shacked up in the room. I was getting restless though, I hated having to avoid one of my best friends just so I could ease my own anxiety. I don't know why it mattered though, Jimmy knew I wasn't interested but I guess the fact that he persisted with his feelings was still bothering me.

A quick knock came to the door, soon being opened to reveal Jimmy. He looked less cheery and full of bounce like he normally did, so I immediately knew something had to be wrong. "What's up Jim?" I asked, a slight hint of worry in my words. He rubbed the back of his neck nervously before sighing. "My sister, she's back already. Turns out her boyfriend dumped her. My parent's don't want to send you away like this, but you're more than welcome to stay in my room, they won't mind." My heart instantly sank, I shook my head vigorously. "No, no. It's okay, Jim. I'll go." I quickly started to round up my stuff.

I could tell Jimmy felt awful and was practically begging me to stay with his eyes, but I just couldn't. I knew damn well I had no where else to go, so I figured now would be a good time to take a trip to see my dad. "Please, Zeph. You don't have to go, you can still stay." I put my hand up, silencing him. I didn't want to be a burden on them any longer than I already was, so my mind was made up. "No, it's okay, really. I gotta go try and work things out with my own family." He didn't respond except a defeated huff as he walked with me downstairs towards the front once I had finished.

"Zephyr, hun, you don't have to go." His mother began to insist but shot her down. "It's no problem, Mrs. Sullivan, I have to go see my family anyways. Thank you for everything." The look on her face was one of total guilt, but she handed me over a small paper bag. "At least take some food to go." I thanked her before giving both Jimmy and her a hug as I made my way out. When I was farther down the street and out of plain sight, I stopped to peer inside it. It was a small piece of lasagna, with an apple, a bowl of salad, and a juice box. "Thanks, God. At least I won't starve."

After I had gratefully finished my dinner, I crumpled up the trash and tossed it in a bin as I continued on my way to the cemetery. I was in desperate need of my Dad, things like this never would have happened if he were still here. I checked my phone, seeing that Val, Matt, Brian, and even Johnny had all texted me within seconds of each other. Jimmy must have told them the news, making everyone aware that I was now alone, wandering aimlessly, two days before Thanksgiving.

They all pretty much said the same thing, that if I needed anything, to not hesitate to call them and they would answer in a heartbeat. Except for Johnny, he had actually offered me a spot to stay at his house while his parents were away visiting his sick grandma, but I ultimately declined. I didn't want to bother anyone with my own problems anymore, I knew I had to grow up and figure this all out on my own now. I sent them all messages back, saying that I would be fine and thanks for everything.

Once I rounded the corner and slid in threw the thick iron gates without much hassle or being spotted by security, I knew I was in the clear to walk around. The air was cold and wet as the clouds moved in quickly, I hugged my thin sweater tightly around me as I continued to navigate through the headstones until I eventually reached my Dad's five minutes later. The flowers Zack and I had left were still there, still alive and well. I dusted off the top before taking out a small rose I had picked on my way here and placing it on top. "Hey Dad, it's me again. I'm coming to spend the night with you, if that's alright."

I obviously knew he couldn't answer back as I pulled out a small blanket from my bag and laid it on the ground beside. I then took one of my shirts and made a makeshift pillow before I pretty much tossed myself onto my bed for the night. "I don't know what else to do anymore, Dad. I've ran out of options as far as I know. My friends, they love me and of course don't want to see me out here, but they've all got their own lives and families to depend on. And Zack, well, I don't even know about him anymore. He hurt me, again, and I don't think this can be fixed anymore. I'm so lost." I could feel the tears stinging my eyes the more I talked, I knew crying wasn't far away now.

Suddenly the sky seemed to crack open as the wind picked up harshly and a flash of lightening could be seen off in the distance before a clash of thunder came next. I looked up, clearly astonished, before suddenly the rain started to fall violently. I took refuge underneath the small tree that was a couple steps above my Dad's grave, shielding myself as best as I could from the cold drops. But it was no use, I still managed to get completely drenched in a matter of minutes. I gathered every bit of dirty laundry I had, making a somewhat type of blanket to keep myself warm with as the rain kept on.

I was shivering hard, desperately trying to keep myself warm as I huddled into a small ball on the ground. I felt the tears pour down my face as I sobbed loudly, knowing that no one would even hear me over the loud roars of rain and thunder. "Please, God. Why is this all happening to me? Please, just let me have some sort of sign." I begged, cried, and even screamed at one point, but nothing happened. The storm still raged on and I was still left there alone to defend myself. Eventually feeling defeated, I took out my phone and dialed Zack's number. I had no other options left.

But my heart shattered even more when he didn't answer. I didn't bother to leave a voicemail, because you wouldn't be able to hear me anyways. "I'm sorry, for whatever I did to deserve this, God. But if you could please, just please, let Zack figure out that I am desperate here, I'd kindly appreciate it." And again, not a damn thing happened within the next hour, signaling that I was still very much alone.

Deciding to make peace with what I was given, I covered myself up further with the soggy clothes before shutting my eyes tightly. "Goodnight, Dad. And happy almost Thanksgiving. At least we're finally together again for it."
♠ ♠ ♠
SO SO SORRY, first of all. That it has taken me so long to update, but I promise things will be back on track now! My laptop was broken was the longest time but now I have a new one so except updates regularly now! Hope you all enjoy! Love you all! xo