Sequel: Welcome to the Family
Status: FINISHED! Thank you everyone!

Vengeance Is Mine

Wish You Were Here

(Zephyr's POV)

The walk back to Zack's house was quiet but incredibly content. We didn't have to say anything to each other, the silence was enough. Sure I was still somewhat confused still because I didn't exactly know how things were going to go between us, especially with me staying at his house and all, but I decided it was better to just let fate handle this one for me. I felt pretty bad about everything that had happened, but I was more furious that all this had to happen on Halloween, making me completely miss out on everything. When we reached his driveway, I casually scanned over towards my house, seeing as he was my next door neighbor, seeing that all the lights were off and it was dark. "Come on, we can go in through the back." He says barely above a whisper as we walk carefully through the side gate and into his backyard. I'm assuming his parents didn't know he was out. Once we reach behind the house, I see a small ladder positioned against the wall, leading right up to his bedroom window. He went up first with me terrifyingly following suit behind him until we climbed in, closing it down softly as to make sure we didn't seem obvious. I sat my bags down on the floor, clearly exhausted from the long walk there and back. I just really wanted to go to bed already. "Tired?" He asks.

I nod with a long yawn. You have no idea how long of a day I've had, let me tell you that right now. "Well you can crash in my bed, I'll take the floor." I immediately protest. "No way, this is your room. I'll take the floor." The bickering goes on for a good twenty minutes until we finally agreed on just sharing. Thankfully his bed was pretty big, so the matter of personal space definitely wasn't an issue. Although I honestly never would mind the chance to cuddle with him, he seemed so warm. Ugh come on, Zephyr! Pull yourself together! He's not even fully broken up with Zoey and he's barely forgiven you about an hour ago, don't fuck this up now! "Um, are you okay over there?" He asks with a slightly puzzled expression as I realize I had probably been staring off into space for a good while, arguing with my own self in my head. "Yeah sorry, just had a long day." He shrugs before climbing into bed in nothing but a pair of basketball shorts, motioning for me to join. "Don't worry, I'll stick to my side, promise." I let out a faint chuckle before gathering up all my courage and get in beside him. His bed is warm and insanely soft, making me relax almost instantly.

But before I could drift away into dreamland, I suddenly remember Zacky's parents and siblings. What the hell were they going to think when they wake up in the morning and see me here? "Uh, Zee?" I ask uneasily as I swallow hard. "What?" He mutters, peeking an eye open to look at me. "What are you going to tell your parents when they wake up?" He props himself up on his elbows now, sighing some. "Nothing, at least, not yet. My parents both leave at about seven and my brother leaves for school at the same time. Just my sister, she leaves around eight. So I'm pretty sure since it's-" He glances over at the clock quickly before finishing his sentence. "Already three in the morning, we can definitely sleep the morning away until they're all gone. They know I'm suspended, so they won't come bugging." He then flops back down into his spot before placing a hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry, Zeph. We'll get this all figured out later, just go to bed." As easy as it sounded, it wasn't at all. I practically had to force myself, seeing that it was finally four when I closed my eyes.

When my eyes finally reopen the next morning, I look around and see that Zack's not beside me anymore. While part of me was curious to see where he went off to, the other part of me was too scared to get up in the case that his parents or someone still might be home and see me. Thankfully my nerves were settled when I heard the soft sound of his door open and close, seeing him appear beside me with a bowl of cereal and a glass of juice in hand. "Uh...thanks?" I say slightly confused as I take the dishes in my hands. He just shrugs before stretching with a yawn. "Everyone's gone already, so we're in the clear. Did you still want to take your dad some flowers today?" I just nod while I take a spoonful of Cheerios into my mouth. I really didn't understand why he was being nice to me, but I guess it was his way of trying to make up for the way he acted these last few years.

"Cool well, whenever you're ready we can go down there. You can use the shower too, there's all kinds of soaps and stuff in there." I again just nod, now starting to feel a little awkward. I had been to Zack's before, plenty of times, and even slept over when we were kids. But now as we were older, it felt a little off especially since we weren't dating, but I guess I always find a way to make things way more difficult and complicated then they really need to be. I seriously just have to learn to accept things for the way they are. "And stop looking at me so weirdly. Just do your thing, I'll be downstairs." I stuff another spoonful into my mouth as I watch him walk away now and head down to the living room. After I finish with my breakfast, I set the dishes aside and go to my bags. I decided on a simple outfit, a sweater and skinny jeans, before navigating out to the bathroom.

I step into the large shower, letting the warm water pour over my skin. It instantly relaxes me, which was exactly what I was hoping for. I use some fruity smelling shampoo and soaps before shaving what little hair I had on my body and eventually getting out. I ran through my short hair with a comb before casually strolling back to Zack's room to slip on my shoes and grab my bag. When I finally made my way downstairs, I could see him talking on the phone to someone. Probably one of the guys, Val had been texting me back and forth all night and this morning since I woke up. She was the only one who knew where I was and who I was with, I made her swear on our friendship that she wouldn't tell anyone, not even Matt, until me and Zack had officially figured things out. "I gotta go, got some errands to run. See ya at practice later." He finished up his conversation, turning to look over at me. "You look nice. Ready to go?" He says flatly with a small smile. I shake my head.

Thankfully this time we were driving to our destinations today and not an excruciating long walk. Whenever he was left alone, Zee's parent's always made sure to leave him some form of transportation to get himself to and from places in case of an emergency. I carefully ducked down, trying to keep myself hidden from plain view as we stepped outside and towards his mom's car. I didn't want to be spotted by my mom or my sister for that matter, trying to avoid more problems then necessary. But if I know my mom and I do, she meant what she said. She wanted me gone. We stopped at a small flower shop on our way first with Zack immediately insisting that he would pay for them. I picked out a large bouquet with lots of Sunflowers, my dad's absolute favorite and took them to the counter. "These are really nice." He mentions before handing the cashier a twenty. I feel bad about it, but decide to let it go in the end. If he wanted to be nice, then I was going to let him.

When we reached the cemetery, I noticed that it looked a lot different in the daylight then at night, that was for sure. We pulled up at a curb a few feet away from my dad's stone, the walk only taking about five minutes. The air was crisp and the clouds hung lowly in the sky, setting an almost ominous tone. I crouched down on my knees before placing them down beside his picture. The tears were building up and spilling out of my eyes rapidly. It truly meant a lot to me that he had taken me here and had bought the flowers. "Hey dad, it's me again. And Zack too. We came back just like I had promised." I could feel Zack sit beside me as he then put an arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him. While I was little taken back by the gesture, I decided to seek comfort in him and rested my head against his chest as I cried softly. "I wish you were here Dad, I really do."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for all the positive feedback on the last update, truly glad you all are enjoying this! Hopefully I'll be able to update more frequent, but for now enjoy! Feedback is always welcome! xo