Sequel: Welcome to the Family
Status: FINISHED! Thank you everyone!

Vengeance Is Mine

So, What Now?

(Zephyr's POV)

After the visit with my Dad at the cemetery, Zack insisted that we hangout some more and opted that we go to the beach. Again, I was reluctant as usual, because I didn't want anyone to see us together, but he swore that everything would be fine. We sat down on a small blanket close to the shoreline, the water almost coming up all the way to us. It had been at least a few months since I had been here with him and everyone else but almost years since we've been alone. That was one of the things I missed, just being able to spend time with my best friend without anyone else intruding on it. "I like how it's the middle of Fall and there's hardly anyone here." He comments as he shifts some sand around. I nod.

Things feel slightly awkward, but I try to push them aside and act like normal. "So, thank you, again, for buying the flowers and bringing me. It means a lot and I'm sure my Dad appreciates it too." He just smiles that damn smile that always makes me feel weak in the knees and places a hand on top of my lazily. He doesn't move it and just returns his attention back to the ocean. I feel my chest start to tighten some as I keep my stare fixated on our hands. This all seemed so wrong but also felt so damn right. I had waited years, practically all my life, for Zack to give me this type of attention. So why did I feel so bad about it now? I thought about Zoey all of a sudden, a loud groan escaping past my lips.

He looks over at me with a puzzled expression as I take my hand away and put it to my face. "What's wrong, Zephyr? Aren't you having a good time?" I stay quiet this time, letting the sound of the waves fill in the gap. He sighs deeply, shaking his head now. "You're going to start acting weird, aren't you? I told you, I'm making it all up to you so don't start feeling different about it now. You're my best friend, I'm your best friend, we're supposed to want each other to be happy. Aren't we?" I look up at him momentarily before deciding against all the voices in my head and my gut telling me not to do exactly what I was thinking of doing and meshed my lips to Zack's in a hard kiss. He doesn't react, he just sits there with his eyes wide and a stupid look on his face. My cheeks burn hot, clearly embarrassed by what the hell I just did, I quickly get up from my spot to leave.

I hear him calling after me but I keep walking until I pick up enough pace to start running. I get about a few feet away from him before I take out my phone and decide to call Val. My fingers are shaking bad and I can't seem to control my emotions as I begin to cry insanely loud. She picks up after the first three rings, her voice low. "I'm in class still, what's the matter? Is everything okay?" I spill everything to her about what just had happened. All I receive is a loud gasp on the other end before she says she has to go but that she will text me and dial tone after she hangs up. Stupid, why do I have to be so damn stupid? He barely forgave me not even a whole day ago and already I had to go and mess things up. Why Zephyr, why are you so damn naive? Why do you always think with your heart and not your head? Clearly I must not have a brain, otherwise, I would have thought this all through.

Suddenly I feel a pair of arms pull me into their chest before a pair of lips are now on mine. I try to fight back and resist but it's pointless, because honestly, who am I kidding? I have waited for this moment for so long, I wasn't going to let it slip away from me now. He wraps his arms around my neck tightly and deepens the kiss more, I hug onto him as much as I can. The feeling that radiates all throughout my body is like the awful deep void inside of my soul is finally being filled with that sense of warmth that I had been missing for so long. When we finally need air, we pull back slowly, like if we're trying to get a reading or some sort of sign. But there's nothing there, no obvious answer as to what we were trying to figure out. His face is bright red and obviously so is mine.

Things clearly moved way too fast between us, but it almost seemed as if it couldn't be helped. We stand there, neither of us saying a word before he finally looks up at me. "I-um, I really don't. I don't know what to really say." He's stammering over his words and the frustrated expression that makes it way to his face brings a slight smile to mine. He looked damn cute when he was confused, it made him look vulnerable. I put my hand to his shoulder before sighing deeply. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have kissed you. I know it's wrong, you're not even broken up with Zoey and you've barely forgiven me. But to be honest, I couldn't help it. You've treated me like shit these last few years and now I finally felt like I got the thing that I deserved most. But the shitty thing is? That I don't feel good about it."

He runs his hands through his hair before looking down at the ground. This couldn't have gone any worse, fuck. "So, what now? Where do we go from here?" I look at him with a hopeful gleam. If we're being honest, I'd love to finally be your girlfriend. I shrug, unsure of what to say besides the truth. "How about we go back to your house and try to figure this all out?" He just nods before taking my hand in his. I send him a pleading glance but he ignores it and keeps walking with my hand in his. Clearly he's having his own issues with deciding with what he wants. "Just don't say anything and let me do this." I bite down on my tongue hard to hold back from saying the wrong thing and ruining the moment. Just go with it, Zephyr.

When we finally return to his house, I notice his parents are already home from work. "I'll do the talking from here. Just be your normal self." He says as we walk up to the front door. I just agree silently, taking in a deep breath. "Hi hun, oh! You've brought Zephyr! Come in, dear." His mom instantly greets us with a warm smile and a hug. Thankfully, she's always liked me more than Zoey, so I knew my chances of staying here were on the good side. "Mom, can I talk to you for a minute?" He says to her before they head off in the direction of the kitchen, leaving me there alone in the living room to talk with Zack's sister who had just walked in from school. "Hey, Z. Where's my brother?" She asks as she drops her books to the floor. I point towards the kitchen and she nods. "So I heard what happened with you and your sister." My face falls instantly. I'm sure the whole school knew by now, it did sort of happen in front of everyone in the cafeteria.

"Don't worry, I'm on your side. I've always thought she was a bitch and you always deserved Zack, even if he is a loser." She snickers lightheartedly before casually strolling to the kitchen just as Zack and his mom reappear. I can tell from the look on her face she was coming to talk to me next. "So Zack tells me you're having trouble at home?" I nod, telling her that my mom had kicked me out because of problems with my sister. "I heard something about that. I don't mind if you stay as long as this isn't going to be a problem between you two?" She looks between both me and Zack, he shrugs before shooting me a small smirk. Damn you, Zack Baker. "No ma'am, no problem." She then tells us to wash up for dinner and to come eat at the table.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" He says softly as we stand in the bathroom. I put my hand to my forehead and again just sigh. "Whatever this is going to be, we need to figure it out soon-" He cuts me off quickly by pressing his lips to mine before leaving me standing there with another confused look on my face. "I swear to God, you're going to be the death of me."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello and thank you to my new readers, subscribers, and commenters! Hope you all are enjoying so far and I appreciate the time you all take to leave feedback! I'm sorry if this feels rushed, but I promise it's only going to get better! Love you all! xo