Revelations

Now

Kayla pushed the door open.

The room was exactly the way I expected it to be: white walls, a bed, and a desk in the corner. My mom sat there, a journal open in front of her, pen in hand.

"Mom? I'm back. I brought someone to see you."

"I don't want to see—" She turned her head, and caught sight of me. "Nina?" Her voice cracked. "Oh, baby. You're here. Kay, where did you find her?"

Where did you find her?

I wasn't lost. I was here, right in front of her, after all this time.

"Mom," I said, my voice wavering. "Are you okay?" I moved toward her, and she watched me, but didn't say anything else.

"It's been a long time," Kayla whispered behind me. "She knows who you are, but she's just surprised to see you."

Mom looked at me, her eyes narrowed.

"Did you kill him?" she asked. "Tell the truth, Nina."

"Of course not!" I shouted. "I wouldn't have hurt him, and you know that." I calmed my breathing. "Kayla told me that you thought I didn't do it."

Mom flinched. "It's been hard. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take your sister from you. But after everything..."

I shut my eyes for a moment, and when I opened them, my vision blurred. I turned away from her, and then Kayla had her arms around me.

"Nina, please."

She was begging me to talk to her.

Begging me to stay.

I couldn't. I recoiled from Kayla, and pushed my way out the door.