Revelations

Now

"I have to tell you something," I whispered.

I brushed my hand across Isaac's chest, and linked my fingers with his. He let out a breath and squeezed me closer.

"What's going on? You've been quiet all night."

"My dad—he drank. A lot."

Isaac nodded. "You told me that."

"No, I mean he was violent. Abusive. He hurt us."

Isaac's grip on me tightened. "What did he do to you?"

"He hit me, and my mom, and once he broke Kayla's wrist. He was an asshole when he drank and we tried to get him help, but he didn't want it. God." I squeezed my eyes shut. "I'm glad he's dead."

"Don't," Isaac said harshly. "Don't say that. It's why people think you killed him. An abusive father hurting his kids and wife? That's a reason to do something. Honestly, Nina? I don't blame you one bit if you thought about getting rid of him."

I shook my head. "I don't remember what happened that night, not all of it. I remember waking up and finding him and calling the police. His blood was on my hands, and there wasn't anyone else in the house with us. What if I did do this, Isaac?"

I buried my face in his chest.

He took me by the shoulders and tilted my face up. He was close enough to kiss. But we didn't do that. Instead, his words left me cold.

"I have to tell you something about that night."