Revelations

Now

The cops swarmed me, drilling me with questions.

Yes, Isaac and I were close.

Yes, he knew about my family issues.

No, I didn't remember seeing him that night.

No, I didn't ask him to kill my dad.

Before they could ask me anything else, Kayla was there. She pushed her way in and had her arms around me.

"Can you give her some breathing room?" she snapped. "You're crowding her. She just found out her boyfriend killed her dad."

"It's okay," I said.

But it wasn't, and she knew that.

I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the stairwell banister. I had been sitting here since they took him away, and I didn't want to move.

This was real.

Bile crept into my throat, and I put a hand to my mouth. I felt like I was going to throw up, and I willed myself not to.

Apparently my body didn't agree, because I bent over and retched onto the stairs and my shoes.

"Shit!" Kayla yelled, jumping away from the mess. She ran into the other room and came back with a towel and a glass of water. "Are you okay?" she whispered.

"No," I said, closing my eyes.

One of the cops crouched down and touched my hair. "Do you think you can make it down to the station for questioning, Nina?" she asked softly. "I know this has been hard for you."

I didn't look at her. Instead, I focused on the golden badge clipped to her belt.

"Yes," I said. "I'll come in."