Revelations

Now

Kayla was on the steps of the police station when I stepped out, her eyes glued to her phone. When she saw me, she jumped up.

"Are you all right?" she asked, hugging me.

"Isaac is a liar," I said. "He keeps telling everyone that I told him I wanted him to kill Dad. That's not what happened. You know that, don't you?"

"Of course I do," Kayla said, leaning into me. "Come on, we'll get some food. Also, Mom is expecting us. She saw the news."

"She did?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "Is she okay?"

Kayla nodded. "She knew what Isaac had done, and she feels awful that it too her so long to remember what happened. But you have to understand that she's been through so much, we all have. But maybe we can fix it now. Fix our family."

I knew, even as she spoke, there was no fixing what Isaac had done. He had taken someone from us, even though he was a monster, Isaac was worse.

"I don't think so," I told her. "But come on, let's go see Mom."

**


As soon as she saw me, Mom wrapped me up in a bone crushing hug. I struggled and after she released I couldn't breathe, she released me. Her eyes were full of tears.

"I'm so sorry this happened, sweetie."

I didn't say anything—what was there to say? Sorry your husband was an abusive drunk. Sorry my boyfriend killed him and ruined our family. Sorry you're stuck in here, because of everything that happened. Sorry you have to live with these memories, that we all do.

I glanced at the bed in her room. There was an open suitcase on it.

"Mom?" I said. "What's going on?"

"Oh, you didn't hear?" She sounded upbeat. "I get to come home. Isn't that wonderful?"

"That's great."

I tried to form a smile, but wasn't sure if I was successful. My whole body was humming, and I wasn't sure why. Did I want her back? Was she safer here than with me?

You're innocent, a voice reminded me. The person responsible will be charged and locked away and you'll be able to have a normal life.

But I wondered if I could ever have that again.