Revelations

Now

The next morning, I checked my phone. I'd missed a called from the police station, some time while I had still been asleep.

There was a voicemail.

I listened to it, then stuck the phone under my pillow, my body trembling. I closed my eyes.

"Kayla!" I whispered.

We were sharing a room. Mom needed privacy, so she took the spare room in my apartment.

The blankets on the cot across from my bed stirred, and she mumbled something incoherent. Then went still.

"They called," I said. "Isaac wants to see me."

I swallowed hard.

Kayla said, "What the hell? Are you going to go?"

"I don't know," I answered. "He can't possibly have anything good to say to me, can he? He'll probably just accuse me of knowing he was going to do this. I'm not an accessory to a crime."

"I know that," Kayla said. "And the cops do too. Is there anything that you can think of that connects you to this, besides the fact that it was your boyfriend who did this, and the that the victim was our father?"

"Dad was a an abusive asshole," I reminded her. I stood and started taking clothes of our my dresser. "I need to clear this up." I stared at my sister, who blinked at me. "I'm not a killer."

"Do you want me to come?" she asked.

"No," I told her. "I'll be back soon."

**


The station was cold as I walked down the hall. I stopped at the front desk and told the receptionist that I was called. She left and returned with one of the guards. He told me to follow him, which I did, quickly.

He led me down a long hall to a series of cells, and stops in the middle.

I glanced inside.

Isaac stared back, looking disheveled and tired. But he smirked regardless.

"Hello, darling," he murmured, and stepped forward, wrapping his hands around the steel bars. "It's so good to see you."