Revelations

Now

I blinked at Isaac, then stepped away from the bars. He continued to grin at me, his expression concerned, as though nothing had happened in the last few hours meant anything. He tilted his head at me, something he used to do.

"They said you wanted to see me," he said. "What's going on, Nina?"

"You know," I whispered. "You know what you did. How you screwed up my entire life. I never asked you to kill him."

"It was implied."

"No, I never would have done that. Stop twisting my words."

I was shaking, angry, and I wanted to reach through those bars and hit him. I closed my eyes for a few minutes, and breathed out slowly. I needed to calm my heartbeat. It was going crazy. Because I was afraid.

I stared at him.

"He was a horrible person," Isaac pressed. "You can't deny that. What father does that to his own children? To his wife? He deserved what he got."

I couldn't disagree with that, but it wasn't the point.

"You killed him."

"I did the world a service!" he shouted, and I flinched. "That piece of shit could have killed you, Nina. Don't you realize that?"

"Of course I do," I murmured. "But that doesn't change what you did."

His eyes flashed with something old—something from before—but it was gone just as quickly as it had come.

"I did this for us," he told me. "We can be together now."

"No, we can't. Because you're not getting out of here, Isaac."

A muscle in his jaw ticked. "Yes, I am. You'll see. I'll be free soon, and then I'll come for you."