Revelations

Now

Kayla was waiting for me outside when I stepped out of the station. It had gotten dark by the time everything was done, and I was bored-tired.

"What happened?" she demanded when she saw me.

"Isaac," I murmured. "Isaac happened. I need to talk to him again."

"Are you serious?" Kayla growled. "After what he did, he should rot in hell. He murdered our dad, Nina. No matter how cruel dad was—and you know he was a fucking bastard at times—I think Isaac did us a favor."

My heart thudded at her words. I didn't want to agree. Everything that happened five years ago—dating Isaac, telling him about my dad and his abuse, and him doing something about it—meant we were both at fault. Maybe all of us were.

"He's dead because of us," I said.

"But you and Isaac—"

"No, us. Our family. Isaac, too. We all had secrets about what was going on. I should have seen what was happening when I exposed dad for who he really was."

"You didn't know who Isaac would turn out to be," Kayla said quietly, putting an arm around my shoulder. "The police know two stories—both are true, but only one matters. His truth. What he did. Dad's blood is on your hands, Nina, but Isaac is the one who ended his life."

I shut my eyes, and when I opened them, I was standing. "That's not the whole truth. I know what I have to do now. I need to end this," I whispered. "I love you, K. Mom, too. Take care of her."

As Kayla processed what I was saying, and what it meant, I had already opened the door. It shut behind me, with Kayla crying my name.