Revelations

Now

"Do you remember the night I told you what happened?"

I was sitting next to Isaac on the couch in his apartment, a mug of tea beside me on the table. I reached for it when he spoke.

"Of course I do. I'll never forget that night."

"It seems like it was such a long time ago. I still visit his grave sometimes, but I've been a little hesitant lately. The people here are still suspicious of me."

"Why didn't you just leave? The cops couldn't hold you at all."

"Dover—despite its residents—is still my home. This is where I grew up with my family. After everything that happened, my mom and sister moved away."

"Do you talk to them?"

I shook my head. "Mom's afraid of me, and Kayla, she's confused. I know she understands what happened, just not why."

"What I don't get is why they would say you did this, it doesn't make sense."

"All I remember is waking up with his blood on my hands, and finding him in the kitchen. I don't remember anything before that."

"Convenient," Isaac murmured. "At least from a cop standpoint. Your loss of time is a way to make you feel like you did kill him."

"He was my dad," I whispered, my voice breaking.

"I know." He touched my cheek. "We're going to find out who did this and why. I promise."