Revelations

Now

"Nina?"

I blinked the room back into focus. Isaac was staring at me, his eyes full of worry. He brushed a hand across the back of my neck, his fingers cool against my skin.

"I was thinking about the night I found him," I whispered. "I remember something."

"What was it?" he asked.

"I was the one who called the police to report him dead," I said, wiping my eyes. "His blood was on the phone when I hung up."

Isaac was quiet for a moment. Then he said, "You talk in your sleep, did you know that?"

"No," I replied. "But what does that have to do with anything?"

"Last night," he said, "you said that you were sorry. You were apologizing to him. You said 'I didn't mean it'. Were you talking about your dad?"

I swallowed, listening to his words. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Luckily, before he could answer, my phone rang. I glanced at the caller ID, and my heart jumped.

"It's my mom," I told him.

"Are you going to answer it?" he asked. "It might be important."

"I don't know."

In the end, I didn't answer her call. I let it go to voicemail. I never checked it, though, even after Isaac left for work. I couldn't.

She was afraid of me, thinking I'd killed my own father.

I didn't, I told her that, but she still left anyway.

The last time we spoke, she wanted to know why. She'd begged me, pleaded. Then she asked why I wasn't in jail for the rest of my life.

I started to cry and she hung up.

When my phone beeped with a text later that night, I flinched. It was Kayla. The text was short, and it turned my blood cold.

Something's happened.

Call me.