Status: Set between seasons 6 and 7

To the Bone

two

“If you are not too long I will wait here for you all my life.”

Oscar Wilde


Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 2005

The convention center was bustling with people as Adeline made her way through the crowds, being nudged here and there and almost being taken down by one tall, broad man. She steadied herself, turning around to see she had made it. Conference room five loomed before her, the paper beside it printed with the words she’d been waiting for:

DR. SPENCER REID
HOW THE FBI UTILIZES ANTHROPOLOGY


She scurried quickly through the thrall of people, knowing she was already a good fifteen minutes into the talk. She quietly opened the broad doors, standing there for a moment in awe as he spoke. He was so much more handsome than she remembered, and looked sharp in a dress shirt and vest.

“I have been in multiple situations where forensic anthropology has really made or broken a case.” Dr. Reid said, smiling uncomfortably at the crowd. At the sound of the door slamming behind her Adeline winced. He looked up, chuckling at her. “And for those just joining us, as I said before, my name is Dr. Spencer Reid. I’m a special agent for the BAU.” She waved awkwardly and the tension he’d had before seemed to melt away, if only for a moment. Adeline flushed brightly as she moved between the rows, taking a seat as far up front as she could.

As Spencer spoke Adeline felt like she was in the presence of something greater than herself. What Spencer did was just… incredible. And he was so young too, it made Adeline feel like she was falling behind still being in school when Dr. Reid already had so much field experience. He pushed his short hair back and took a sip from his water.

“Now, does anyone have any questions?” He asked. Adeline’s hand shot in the air like a rocket before she could stop it. She got a few rude chuckles for her eagerness but Dr. Reid smiled softly at her. “Yes, the young lady in the front.” She stood, her heart racing as she felt all the eyes in the room on her.

“If someone wanted to work the occasional case for the FBI but not be an agent, I mean, is that something that’s possible?” The rude chuckles resumed but Dr. Reid nodded.

“Absolutely. You have to be pretty good to be called in however. We call those people associated scientists and usually they’re extremely specialized to the point that a forensic agent can’t compare.” He took another sip from his water as she started to sit down. “What’s your name?”

“Adeline Foxley.” She smiled. “I’m a forensic anthropology student at Texas State University. You spoke once there about how much you learn from our body farm.” Dr. Reid paused for a moment before his face lit up in recognition.

“I remember that. You guys have done amazing work with vultures.” Adeline felt like a shining star before another hand went up and Dr. Reid’s attention was drawn away. She quickly sat, watching him answer questions and talk about cases. She felt like she was meeting a celebrity as finally a man walked up, saying they had run out of time. Adeline felt her heart drop as she stood, making her way towards the door as people around her chattered.

“Miss Foxley!” She turned and felt her chest seize as Dr. Reid walked up to her, his hands stuffed into the pockets of his trousers. “I was just curious, I spoke at Texas State almost a year ago. You remember it?”

“Of course.” She gushed. “You made me change my major from Anthropology to Forensic Anthropology. It tacked a year onto my doctorates but it’s completely worth it.”

“You’re getting your doctorates?” He asked, tilting his head slightly as they walked out of the room and into the rush of the mob. He took her arm and pulled her back as a woman ran past. “Maybe we should go somewhere a little quieter.”

“I think I passed a coffee shop over there.” She noted, pointing to the familiar Starbucks logo in the distance. He nodded as they began walking. “And actually I finish my doctorates next month.”

“How old are you?” He blurted out. He immediately flushed, running a hand through his hair. “I’m sorry that was incredibly rude.”

“I get that question a lot.” She assured. “I’m twenty-three.” He nodded slowly. “What about you?”

“Twenty-four.” She shook her head in awe as he took a drink from his water bottle.

“And already so much field work. You’re amazing.” He choked slightly on his water and Adeline turned burgundy. “Oh my god you must think I’m a stalker.” He shook his head.

“No, I know stalkers.” He slowly, almost hesitantly, reached out and touched her shoulder. “I’m just more used to hearing weirdo, I don’t get amazing a lot.” They both were quiet for a while before he spoke again. “You know, I’ve been dabbling a bit in forensic anthropology. Maybe you could give me some pointers?” She giggled.

“Only if you pay for your new sensei’s coffee.” She joked. He laughed beside her.

“Deal.”

Seatac Airport, Present Day

Adeline slowly opened her eyes as she thought of the fond memory. That coffee had been the last time she’d seen Spencer outside a computer screen. It seemed so long ago now, and so much had happened since. As the passengers around her began to claim their overhead bags she became nervous. Spencer had really stuck his neck out for her, and Adeline just hoped she could deliver. She brushed off the front of her shirt, wishing she’d opted for a blouse and dress pants instead of her casual romper and cardigan.

She couldn’t get the handsome doctor out of her mind as she finally stood once the plane was mostly empty, grabbing her bag and turning her phone back on. She had a single text from Spencer, and about thirty from her assistant at the dig site. She sighed, opting to read all her assistants questions over seeing what Spencer said. She quickly called Edgar, her student intern, knowing it was early morning back in Santorini.

“Dr. Foxley I’m so sorry for bugging you but no one listens to me. They want to send the baby skeleton to the labs at Princeton even though I specifically said you’d be back soon-” Edgar’s thick Wales accent choked out his words as Adeline sighed.

“I will email Princeton, OK Eddie? I promise it will be alright. Just help close the site and then take some well-deserved time off and go to Mykonos or something.”

“But Dr. Foxley-” He started. Adeline hushed him.

“Put the baby skeleton where Princeton won’t find it.” She ignored the odd looks she got from the travelers around her at her sentence as she calmly made her way to the customs desk. “Eddie I’m at customs so I have to go. Just close the site and leave Princeton to me.” Eddie let out an agitated huff

“Alright Doctor. Let me know if you want me to come to the States and help out ok?” She smiled at his words, remembering herself say similar things to her own professors.

“Go on vacation. I’ll touch base soon. Bye Eddie.” She hung up before the nervous boy could say another word and made her way through customs, rolling the kinks out of her neck from sleeping on the plane. As she walked to her baggage claim she typed a quick email to Princeton, asking for professional curtesy and that she would be back as soon as she helped stop a murderer. Finally, as she waited for her bag, she opened her text from Spencer.

Hey Adie, me and Special Agent Morgan are waiting for you at baggage carousel 4. See you soon.

Her heart seized again as she grabbed her small suitcase, sweat forming on her palms. It had been ages since she’d seen that man she idolized speak. Their friendship still felt so unreal to her sometimes, and the thought of seeing him in person made her shiver. But then she stopped, standing in the airport as she remembered their conversation no later than six months after meeting.

I just met the most incredible woman on a case, Adeline! You know Lila, the actress right?

She’s so beautiful I have no idea what to say to her.


She felt sick at the memory of bawling her eyes out after the way he’d gone on about her, how she got to kiss him. Even though it hadn’t worked out, it had made Adeline painfully aware that she was, and always had been, just a friend to him. She didn’t know what she thought would happen, with her always being away on digs, but it hadn’t been that. Besides, she was here to work. She had a lot of people to prove wrong, so she had to be professional and courteous.

With a heavy sigh she continued through the airport, a little less bounce in her step as she approached carousel four. She saw Spencer standing with an attractive man and assumed that must be Agent Morgan. She walked up, tapping Spencer’s shoulder. He turned, beaming as he extended his arms, but she took one in a quick handshake. She ignored the disappointment in his eyes.

“Good to see you again Doctor.” She greeted coolly. She turned to the other man and shook his hand as well. “And you must be Agent Morgan.”

“Doctor Foxley, I’ve heard a lot about you.” He smiled, He was absolutely gorgeous and Adeline knew she was staring as she chuckled.

“Good things I would hope.”

“Of course. Reid pushed really hard to have you here, must have researched every dig you’ve ever done to show the bureau.” She turned slowly to Spencer, who was pink as he shot Morgan a dirty look. But it just made Morgan chuckle.

“I told you not to call me if it’d get you in trouble.” She sighed as Spencer took her bag and the three made their way to the car. “Oh, do you mind if I change? I smell like airplane and I need a long, hot shower. Then we can head to the crime scene.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem.” Morgan assured as he hopped into the driver’s seat. Adeline slid into the passengers as Spencer sat in the back. “How was your flight?”

“Long.” She chuckled. “I slept for most of it, but we kept hitting really bad turbulence and I would wake up feeling like I was falling.”

“That sounds awful.” Spencer said, leaning forward so he was between their seats. Adeline shrugged.

“You think I’d be used to it since I travel to so many digs, but I swear flying doesn’t get easier.”

“You should come work for us then.” Morgan offered. “Two words: private plane.”

“Oh that sounds lovely.” Adeline muttered. “But I doubt you guys need me with Dr. Reid.” She turned back, giving him a small smile. “After all, I know he learned everything he needs.”

“Well, the FBI could always use another forensic agent. Especially one with so much experience in prolonged exposure for corpses.” Morgan pushed. Adeline paused, wondering briefly why Spencer was being so quiet as she glanced in the rearview mirror at him. She flushed when her eyes caught his, turning towards Morgan.

“My skillset benefits museums a lot more than the government.” She chuckled. “Besides, the people back home would disown me if they found out I worked for The Man. I didn’t even tell them I was taking this case.”

“Not big fans of the government back home?” Morgan asked. Adeline looked at him for a long time before realizing he must not know.

“No, not huge fans considering I’m from the Blackfeet Reservation.” Morgan silently mouthed ‘oh’ as Spencer leaned forward further.

“They don’t know you took the case?” He asked. She turned to him, clearing her throat slightly.

“Well my parents do. But my mom’s side doesn’t. Could you imagine?” Spencer winced, having no doubt remembered her telling him how her mother’s side of the family didn’t like her line of work. She sighed. “If I could stay mostly out of the press for this one, you’d be making my life a lot easier at family reunions.”

“No problem.” Morgan assured as they pulled into the hotel.

“Thanks. I’ll just be like twenty minutes ok?” With that she hopped out of the car, grabbing her bag. As she moved towards the door Morgan turned to Reid, nodding his head towards her. Spencer didn’t need another hint as he hopped out of the car, jogging over to her. He took her bag, brushing his fingers against hers and making them both blush.

“I wanted to make sure you got to your room okay.” He said quickly. Adeline looked at him for a moment before chuckling.

“Thanks Dr. Reid.” She said as they got inside the elevator.

“Why are you being so formal?” He asked as the elevator crawled up to her floor. “We’ve been friends for years.” She let out a long sigh before speaking hesitantly.

“I worked very hard to get to where I am Spencer.” She said softly. “I’m not that same doe eyed girl who you met. I’m an accomplished doctor now and I want to act like a professional.” She sighed. “Besides, I think back to how much I fawned over you and it’s so embarrassing.”

“I thought it was flattering…” He tried, she chuckled.

“Well, I was young and silly to think we would be anything besides colleagues.” She mumbled, playing with the end of her impossibly long braid. “We both move around far too much.”

“Adeline-” He tried, but she cleared her throat.

“I’ll be down in twenty minutes.” She said as she took her bag, stepping off the elevator. “Then we can head to the crime scene and I can give my analysis and we can go back to how things were before.” She watched him stand there as the elevator door closed, unable to look past the hurt in his eyes. Then with a sigh she grabbed her bag, making her way to room 1108 to change.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter two!
What do you guys think?
Will Adeline and Spencer clear up their miscommunication?
Will they figure out who's doing this?
I'd love to hear your thoughts :)

-wendigo