‹ Prequel: Handle With Care
Status: Finished! Thank you all!

Fragile

Not Alone

(Jade's POV)

"Mrs. Bennington, are you ready? This will only hurt a bit." The nurse instructed as she started to prep the IV for my first ever Chemo treatment. I was admitted into the hospital a couple weeks later after Chester had broke the news to Mike and Shae who in return told Dave, Rob, Joe, Brad, Melody, Melody's mom, and even my mother who thankfully, didn't show up. I collapsed in the middle of one of mine and Chester's little adventures but we still crossed it off the list. We went to the zoo and got to get up close and personal with a baby elephant and a baby cheetah cub. I practically fell in love and didn't want to leave but of course, something always has a way of ruining things. I just passed out cold in the middle of the damn exhibit, not remembering even getting taken to the damn hospital. Chester said it was the scariest thing he ever witnessed, aside from seeing me in my previous episodes. I felt terrible he had to carry this burden on his shoulders but he always assured me that I wasn't a burden, that it was his job to take care of me, because that's what a husband does for a wife. It brought tears to my eyes the second I had heard him say that. We weren't even really married and he still wanted to act like we were. I truly loved this man more than anything, I swear I still don't deserve to have him at all.

I had lost a total of eight pounds these last two weeks, my eyes were more tired and lifeless each day. But other than that, you really couldn't tell anything is wrong with me unless you really knew what. I always wore a smile on my face and just made the best out of things now, seeing as I really didn't have much choice. I didn't want the stupid medication or the chemo, but to make Chester happy, I did it anyways. Because honestly that's all that mattered to me anymore in this life, seeing him happy and in good spirits. He had a new album he was going to be working on soon and it required a lot of travel. But if I didn't get any better soon, I couldn't go with him. He insisted he wasn't going to go anywhere without me and that I was his main priority, but we all knew in reality that his career was just a bit more important. At least I had thought so. "You're doing great so far." The nurse comments as I glance down, seeing that I was already hooked up to the machine. Well that was fast. "You might get nauseous or vomit, so there's a bin beside you. See you in a few hours, Mrs. Bennington. Your husband should be here shortly to sit with you." I nod, thanking her.

I laid flat on my back and closed my eyes as the drugs did their duty. Fuck was it terrible, too. My eyelids were heavy and my head started spinning uncontrollably. This was way too much already. I felt my eyes rolling around as I kept them shut tightly, the sweat starting to roll down my face. I could feel the urge to puke hit me hard, when suddenly I felt a hand grip tightly onto mine. "I'm here baby, I'm right here Jay." It was Chester, and not a moment too soon. "This is ridiculous. I don't think-" And cue to the large pile of projectile vomit that sprayed all over the place. Oops. Thankfully the nurse came in with a custodian worker and everything was cleaned up in no time. I felt completely embarrassed but they all reassured me that it happens to mostly everyone. I rinsed my mouth out with mouth wash before proceeding on with this terrible shit. Chester rubbed my head with one hand and held my hand with the other. "You're going to be okay babe, this stuff is going to help get you better. I know it sucks now, but it will be worth it in the long run. You'll be your old self again in no time." I admired his wishful thinking, but I knew it wasn't 100% effective, so who really knows. As I've already said, I'm not an entirely big believer in this sort of thing, things could go bad.

After a couple of hours had passed on, I was finally able to control the nausea enough to eat something. And by something, I mean a fucking packet of crackers and some juice. The nurse had given Chester anything he wanted but being the amazing person he was, he settled for the same. Although they did hand out red,white,and blue colored jello and he pretty much devoured that on sight because low and behold, today was the 4th of July. To be honest I had forgotten all about this holiday, because who really has time to remember that type of shit when you're practically dying, am I right? "Happy 4th, baby. I know this isn't how we planned to spend it but at least we're together, that's all that matters Jay." I felt a couple tears sneak past as he leaned over and placed a small kiss to my lips. "I love you, I just care about you getting better. You're more important to me than some stupid holiday." And I cried some more at that, he just always had such a fucking way with words.

(Chester's POV)

Sitting beside Jay, watching her get sick and looking so out of it, really broke me. I wanted things to be like how they used to. When we were going out to places together and staying up late talking about everything we had thought of for the future. Going to shows together and the movies, spending countless hours looking up at the stars in the night sky saying quotes from the 'Lion King' every time. After we had went to the zoo and Jay had collapsed on me, I honestly thought the absolute worse. I was utterly terrified, I truly thought that I had lost her for good when she didn't regain consciousness until we had reached the hospital. But according to the doctors, it was going to be a normal occurrence as long as Jay remained positive with cancer cells. So that's when we decided together that she would at least try the chemo and medication. I knew she was greatly afraid of losing her beautiful hair but I promised her it wouldn't be permanent and that I would keep my hair short to help make her feel better. She wasn't too thrilled when I had told everyone about her being in the hospital and why, but she needed to know that she wasn't alone in any of this.

Shae and Mike, Brad, Joe, Dave and even Rob had all come to visit her during the past week and it made me happy to know that my friends truly did care about her. Melody and her mom came regularly since she was working double shifts at the hospital most days so Jay was always happy to see them. Thankfully Mel kept her head shaved all the time so Jay felt more better about it every time she saw her. I had asked everyone if they weren't too busy to come by the hospital and celebrate today with us so she didn't feel too bad about being her. To my surprise, they all showed up with balloons and flowers, Shae even brought her a little pinwheel decorated with the American flag to keep beside her bed. I hadn't seen her smile this much since the day before she was put in this place. The doctors told her she could probably go home by the end of the month if she responded to the treatment well off the bat. But they also told me that she'd more than likely have to wear a face mask to prevent any germs or sicknesses from getting to her since her whole immune system would be less tolerable to anything after this was finished. Of course she wasn't happy about it at all but I assured her it would only be temporary. She insisted someone would wear one with her, so I obviously volunteered. She was my world, my heart and soul, I'd do anything for her.

"Mr. Bennington, can we speak to you in the hallway please?" The nurse and doctor ask as everyone is keeping Jay occupied. I nod before heading out of the room to speak to them. My hands are beginning to tremble as my mind starts thinking the worst again. "Jade's x-rays showed that the cells are starting to spread faster than we had originally thought and they're starting to reach her liver. Now if we up the dose of chemo since she's barely started, we may be able to stop it. I'm afraid she may have to be admitted for up to a month." I look back carefully over my shoulder, seeing her smile and laugh as everyone was telling stories and making jokes. I couldn't imagine having to see her be stuck in this place any longer, but if it was going to ultimately make her better in the long run then I knew it had to be done. "That's fine, we'll do whatever needs to be done to make her well. I'll tell her tomorrow though, I don't want to upset her now while everyone is here. She needs to be happy, she's finally starting to feel a bit better since she was feeling horrible a while ago, I just want to keep her in good spirits." They agreed saying that they would bring it to her attention tomorrow morning after she wakes up so they didn't add more stress to her now while she was feeling a little better.

I went back inside casually as I tried my hardest to keep it together and not cry in front of everyone. But Jay knew something was wrong the minute she saw me, just like I always did with her. "What's wrong, baby? Is everything okay?" Everyone then turned their attention to me at once, so I just went to her side and kissed her cheek softly. I was just going to play it off, let everything just remain happy for this moment. "Nothing babe, I'm just so happy that you're finally smiling. I thought I was never going to see it." My voice started to crack and a couple of tears leaked down my face. She reached out with her free hand and wiped them away. "I love you, Chester Bennington. You're the reason that I am happy, this is all just an added bonus. I'm going to be able to go home soon and we'll be the way thing used to be, okay? I promise." I smiled weakly, telling her that I believed her and that I loved her more than anything.

(Jade's POV)

The look on Chester's face had pretty much said it all when he had came back inside the room, something was wrong and he didn't want to tell me. He was pretending that everything was fine for the sake of my feelings and because everyone was here, when in reality I was doing the same for him. I just wanted him to be happy and not worrying about me, because I knew things weren't going to get better. But I just had to keep smiling, I had to keep up the positive outlook, for him. Not for myself or anyone else, just him. "Hey come on guys, don't look so sad! This is a happy occasion, Jay is going to be getting better now and soon she'll back home with us where she belongs. This is just a minor setback, but everything gets better in time." Mike was always so fucking positive and upbeat about life, it truly was a blessing having him there when things seemed so bleak. I agreed, telling Chester that we should just live in this moment and be happy, so he kept that smile I loved so goddamn much glued to his lips the entire rest of the night until we watched the fireworks display on the small TV screen. "You're not alone, Jay. Remember that, you always have us with you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you all had a happy 4th and everything! Thank you kdennis9 for being the sole supporter of this story, I hope you're enjoying it! I promise I'll try not to make you too miserable and more happy! xo