Walk Through Hell

[23]

One Week Later, Saturday

I had to work again today.

I asked for a schedule change, so that I could work less and now I work MORE!

"Lex," Jake started. We were at Spaides, waiting for my shift to start. "You really mean a lot to me."

"Jake, you mean a lot to me, too."

"I'm really glad you caved." He joked.

"Me, too."

"So what took you so long, anyways?" Sam asked, coming up to the table.

I sighed, quietly. "I don't know. The night Ben got taken away, my heart died. I was just so utterly... depressed. I kind of knew that he was cheating on me, too. He-- he was just my best friend. I don't know, it just hurt so bad!"

Jake and Sam looked at me sympathetically.

"Baby, I'll never hurt you."

"Alright, sappy-ness aside, I'm going to start working."

They both chuckled a little. Sam was on her break.

Ricky walked in the door.

"Hey, Ricky!"

"Heeeey, Lex!" He hugged me.

"Sam's over there with Jake."

"Alright."

I'd been working for an hour, when all of the popular crowd walked in.

I sat them in the middle of the restaurant, but they saw Jake and switched to be closer to him.

"So can I get you guys anything, yet?"

"Um, two pitchers of Coke and a pitcher of water." Someone told me.

"Anything to eat? I'm required to tell you how great our mozzarella sticks are!" I said, enthusiastically.

Someone chuckled. "We'll take three orders, then."

I waited on their table through out the night, along with a few others. It wasn't too busy.

"I'm taking a break!" I yelled at about 10:15.

I threw off my apron and went to where Jake was sitting.

"Hey, Jake," I said, leaning down to kiss him.

He grabbed my waist and pulled me down onto his lap.

"That's nothing, one time, Me and Ricky were at the hardware store, and we opened up all the cans of paint, but made it look like it wasn't obvious, and we set up the biggest booby trap. It was so sick. And it was before they got cameras, so we never got caught!"

Everyone started laughing.

"Well this one time," Jake said, "when were playing Donelson for the semi-finals, I went streaking--"

"That was you?!" I screamed.

"Yeah. You actually went to a football game?"

I laughed. "Yeah. Get on with it."

"Okay, so I was bored because someone decided to ditch me, and so I snuck into the girl's locker room, and I found a bikini top, and a straw hat, a face mask, and a man thong, so I decided I had enough equipment to pull of streaking. Anyways, it ended up with me getting chased down by their principal, and I got my man thong caught on the fence, and it ended up ripping off."

"I knew I recognized those nuts," I said, making everyone laugh harder.

"Hey, Jake, remember that time we were here," Missy started, "and we saw that weird kid with the drugs and we called the cops on him, and then they came and took him away?"

No one laughed. Everyone, including Missy, knew he was my ex-boyfriend.

I stood up from Jake's lap, and left.

I didn't have anything to do. I just walked straight back to the employee's only room.

And I broke down.

Jake's POV

"What the fuck, Missy? You fucking knew they used to go out. Why did you bring that back up?"

"It wasn't my fault." Missy said.

"Hey, is there a reason why Lex just flew by me, crying?" Sam came over and asked.

"Yeah. Bitchy Missy over here just told Lex that Jake was the one who called the cops on Ben," Ricky told her.

"Well, it's not true, right?"

"Uh... yeah. It is," I finally managed to spit out.

"You, you asshole! You know how much that tore her apart?"

"Look, I used to be a jerk, okay?" I said, calm as possible.

"And it's not like she found out about the bet we made about her!" Missy said, with an evil smirk.

"You made a bet about her?" Sam asked, incredulously.

"What? No. It wasn't like that," She had it all wrong!

"What was the bet?"

"It wasn't really a bet--"

"WHAT WAS THE BET, JAKE?!"

I sighed. After a moment, I timidly spoke. "It was how long it would take to make her have a mental break down."

"So, you dating her was just a part of your sick plan?"

"No! It's not like that! I really like her, now!"

"Jake, you're unbelievable," I heard a quiet voice say from behind Sam.

Oh god. How much had she heard?

I'm dead.

She ran out.

"Lexie! WAIT!"

Sam stopped me with a punch to the face. "No. You jerk. You stay the fuck away from her. She's been through enough."

I watched as she walked out.

"Fuck," I breathed out.

"What's the big deal? It's not like you cared about her or anything," Missy's air-head balloon-ed voice said before she started laughing.

"Missy, just leave, okay?" Ray said.

"What--"

"LEAVE!" Ricky told her.

"Fine! Janie, Haylie, Lily, let's go!"

Haylie and Janie stood up.

"Lily? Come on!"

"Actually, I-I think I'm going to stay here."

"Fine! See if I care!" Missy screamed.

"Um, I actually have to get home." Haylie said, looking at the time on her cell phone.

"Me too. I have to go to church tomorrow," Janie told her, which was really an insult to her intelligence.

"You know what? Fine. I'm just gonna go, then!"

And all three of them walked out.

"So..." Lily said. "You gotta win her back, dude."

I looked up at her. "How the hell am I going to do that?"

"You know her better than the rest of us do," Ricky provided.

"Well, I have to go, guys. I'll... I'll see you."

Everyone bade me goodbye, and I left.

I have to figure out how to win her back.