Walk Through Hell

[04]

Riiing. Riiing. Riiing.

"Hello?" I asked, a little sluggish.

"Lex? I'm coming to get you."

"Why?"

"Because you feel like shit. I can feel it from your front door."

I groaned. "Fine. I'll be out in 30 seconds.

"HEY THERE!"

I jumped five feet in the air. Austin laughed. Jerk.

"What do you want?"

His face fell kind of serious. "How are you?"

Yeah. I'm pretty sure Hailey told everyone.

"Fuck off. I have the worst hang over ever."

He looked at me, looked back at a large group of people, my friends, to signal that a) I didn't want to talk to anyone, and b) he lost some sort of game to be the one who had to talk to me.

The bell rang, signalling and end to my akward morning pre-school saga, and a start to a long day of classes. I'm sure by now everyone knew that Ben had gotten arrested.

I mean, there were a table of fucking sissy preppy pop heads who could definately see him right out of the front door getting shoved in the car.

Which of course meant one thing. I was definately his accomplice.

So my school does this gay thing where we don't have the same classes everyday. Kinda like college, I guess, except we go to school everyday and we still have the same classes, they're just mixed up everyday.

So today, first period was computer science for me.

So computer science is not a science. It's staring at a computer screen for an hour writing up stupid codes in html and studying stupid C++ I'm never going to use.

The computers at my school buzz, too.

So, after that first period, my hang over had worsened. Staring at a blue, buzzing screen with tiny white letters and numbers and symbols is not the best way to wake up.

Wanna know the best thing about today though?

2nd free period.

Ahh, the good life.

Good thing I don't have any group projects, so I can just sit by myself.

*groans*

I sat down in the caf. That's our designated meeting spot.

Fun fun fun.

A brown lunch bag plopped down in front of my face, waking me from my slight slumber.

"So you ready to do this thang?"

How the hell did he get so perky? Not fair.

"Sleeep." I groaned.

He lifted my chin up from the table and looked at me. He studied my face, then pulled a banana out of his lunch bag and broke it up into pieces.

"Eat."

I stared at him like he was insane. He was insane. Poisoned banana.

"It helps, I promise. Just eat slowly."

I did. A few banana pieces in like, 10 minutes, and my head ache was lessening. My stomach unwrenchend itself.

"So... I was thinking, if we do that one scene, the one where they meet for the first time and they fight and stuff, and we should do it in a sort of updated new york new york theme."

"Mhm. That sounds good."

"Like, that's the scene we should film."

"Yeah, okay."

"And I figured we could do it so that, if you're the main character, Kat, it'll be like her father wants her to get married to get her out of the press so his business will do better and he marries her off to some other business mogel's son."

"Sounds good."

"And the fight scene could take place in like, the ballroom of a mansion, probably yours, because it has more than one floor, and she could fall into the pool, you know how you have the pool under the glass? That would be pretty cool."

"Right-O."

"And then afterwards we could use the extra film to shoot a porno."

"Mhm"

"And you could invite Haylie, that's her name right? Yeah, and we could just make it a three-some!"

"Yea--- wait, what?"

"You really should pay attention."

"I was! For the modern part! Then you started going off abou--"

Gold teeth and a curse of this town.

I struggled to find where I'd put my phone.

They were all in my--

"Hello?" I didn't recognize the number.

"Hey babe."

"Ben? Oh my god. Did they let you out?"

"No." he sighed. "They're trying me."

"But they can't."

"It's serious this time. They're trying me as a dealer. I had a lot of shit on me. Plus this isn't the first time I've been caught."

"Well... do you have bail?"

"No. Look, I might get up to 4 years."

"Ben... that's horrible." My eyes started welling up.

"Look, baby, I just want you to know I love you."

"I... I know. I... l-love you too."

"Well, I have to go. I still have a couple other calls to make and I only get 5 minutes."

"Alright. Bye."

*Click*

I looked back towards Jake. He was intently studying the ceiling panels. It wouldn't have been more obvious if he was f.ucking whistling.

He finally looked at me and I turned to look at the table.

"So... I heard something about a pool..." I started, shaking slightly.

"Umm..." his voice cracked. "Yeah... like when she falls into the cotton... it was cotton right? Or was it hay? It doens't matter. We're gonna do it in your ballroom. Is that pool under the ballroom floor swimmable?"

"Um, yeah." I tried to discreetly wipe away my tears. "I'm gonna go get some water."

Great excuse, I know. I guess it's just what I do. I mean, I can just imagine what he's say if he saw me crying. I walked out of the caf to the water foundtain. I pressed the button and listened to the buzzing as the water shot up and arched down. The water ran over the silver basin like silk. My eyes glazed over as my tears mixed with the water.

Jake's POV

"I'm gonna go get some water."

"Man, I'm used to seeing girls break up, but usually it's over me when I reject them.

I mean, seriously, she must have really cared about Ben.

It almost makes me feel bad.

I guess I was the one who had called the cops. But it was for a good cause.