Status: Just starting

The Rise and Fall

Incohesive

Pushing her feet over the edge of her bed, Rosalie let out a sigh. After all these years, that nightmare clung to her. Like she needed the reminder. Ha. She has come a long way since then, and she wasn't about to let a little nightmare keep her home. Rising up, she stretched her hands high above her head until she felt her back crack. Ignoring her closet and dresser, she ran her fingertips over the back of a comfy armchair on her way to her en-suite bathroom.

Passing by the bath and the mirrored vanity she headed for the shower. Keeping the water cool was a must on mornings like this when her core temperature was too high. Stepping under the spray she closed her eyes and looked up. Not that it made a difference, all the water in the world couldn't wash away memories. But she could certainly try.

She felt it manifest long before she saw the thing. These strange shadows had been showing up a lot in the last few years. Without looking she spoke up in an annoyed tone. "Do you mind?" Didn't matter if they could see her or not. They couldn't touch her. She had tried grabbing them in the start, hoping to get some answers, but that didn't end up working well. Glancing over her shoulder, she covered herself out of habit. "Go on. Shoo." The shadow rippled like a water drop had shaken its core, an eerie expression appeared for a moment before the thing faded out of existence.

She once explained these things as lurkers to someone who claimed they could be guardian angels. But that had to be impossible. Rosalie never felt comfortable around them, they always left the hair on the back of her neck standing on end. And she was fairly certain angels weren't allowed to peep like that shadow just had. Growling at herself, she made quick work washing up and getting out to dry. At the mirror, she angled herself so she could see each shoulder in turn. Grimacing for a moment, she retrieved her concealer from the medicine cabinet and worked on covering up the swirling 'tattoos' on her shoulder blades.

It was supposed to be warm out today, and at least this way she could still wear an off the shoulder short sleeve without being asked about the markings on her shoulders. Once she was dressed, she headed out for the day. Locking the door behind her and going up the steps to leave her home. The next level opened up to a garage, the opening concealed under an old workbench. The floors were solid wood which helped hide the door nicely. The car parked in front of her was an older model and more for show. She rarely drove anywhere these days. Besides, the place she was going wasn't too far, she could walk there in under forty-five minutes.

Which would have been much more of a relief had it not been for one of those strange shadows making an appearance. It materialized right in front of her, causing her to jump back slightly with a small growl. "Seriously? Get Lost." What was it with these things anyway? Despite knowing she would pass right through it, she stepped around the being to leave the garage. Outside she headed down the street towards the diner she often went to for breakfast. Just as she reached for the door, however, another Shadow appeared.

Scowling, she twisted away and headed further down the street. "What's it going to take to get rid of you." She muttered to herself. For the first time ever, one of the shadows made a sound. A string of incoherent words she didn't understand. Stopping in her tracks she looked at the thing and frowned. "What?" The thing vanished as quickly as it had come.