Status: I have based this story off of a subject that is very important to me. I find that we need to learn how to control our usage of automatic guns and I hope that my short story is able to bring this message across others that we all need to find a way to address this issue together.

A Fresh Start

Chapter 1: Linneah

It was just a regular Tuesday, but little did I know that my life would change forever.

My alarm clock went off, waking me up form my restful slumber. Stumbling along the hallway, I went into the bathroom and put my contacts in, saving my makeup for last. Striding back into my room, I threw on my clothes – knee-high black high heel boots, white skirt, NASA t-shirt – and grabbed my phone, which was charging on the opposite side of the room. Looking in the full-length mirror, I glanced at my long black hair, which went down to my knees as I grabbed my hairbrush from my bureau and French braided my hair.

"Linneah?" called my younger brother. "Where are you? We're going to be late!"

"Coming, Jeffie!" I replied as I secretly rolled my eyes at my dramatic little brother.

I slung my backpack over my shoulder and went down the stairs, two at a time to see Jeffie talking on his phone to his friends.

"I'm so sorry, Becky. I'm going to be late because of Linneah. You KNOW how slow she is in the morning. UGH! It's so hard to have an older sister." He complained. "Finally. She's here. Okay, bye. I'll see you in a few."

"Come one, Jeffie. You're making us late." I called behind my should as I was walking out with my lunch and water in my bag.

The walk to school was short as it was quiet. Jeffie is a 9th grader while I am a junior. It was the second say back to school and I was already exhausted. The wind played with my braids as I inhaled and smelt the freshly cut grass along with the free breakfast that was being served to students who were unable to eat at home. Jeffie left my side as he went off to join his friends in the lunch harbor. I pulled to the side and waited for my boyfriend, Thomas. The bell rang overhead, telling students to get to class before the late bell announced their tardiness. Sighing, I slowly started to walk to class.

"Babe!" yelled a voice over the crowd. I know that voice! I thought to myself. Turning around, I saw Thomas.

"Thomas!" I exclaimed as I embraced my love in a long hug. "How was your summer break?"

We both held hands as we walked together to our English class, chatting away. Suddenly, the lockdown siren went of. Thomas looked behind his back as his emotion changed form excitement to fear.

"Run!" He told me, as he took off into a sprint with me close behind his heels.

Then, that is when I heard it. The gunshots; we had shooters on campus. Racing across the grass, I heard a thus to my right as I saw one of my fellow classmates fall to the ground with blood gushing out of her shoulder. My breath grew raspy as I watched Thomas rush into class.

The last thing that I heard was the gunshot. The last thing that I felt was the bullets as they entered my back and my shoulder as my skull landed on the ground with a crack. My life flashed before my eyes.