Status: I have based this story off of a subject that is very important to me. I find that we need to learn how to control our usage of automatic guns and I hope that my short story is able to bring this message across others that we all need to find a way to address this issue together.

A Fresh Start

Chapter 3: Thomas

Anger and fear. That is all that I feel right now. I just saw my soul mate get shot in her back and shoulder as her blood splattered all over her shoot. It all felt like a dream. My vision went cloudy as tears started to tumble down my cheeks. I was terrified and wanted to hide, yet I wanted to help her at the same time. But all that I did was just stand there and cry as I watched her shooter walk away with his gun in his right hand. And I just wish that it were me that he shot.

Linneah and I had been dating ever since the first week of freshman year. I can still remember the first time that I saw her. It was a cool morning and I was trying to keep my eyes open in Chemistry class. Our teacher, Mr. Bradshaw, had just walking into the classroom and introduced himself.

"Hello, class. My name is Mr. Bradshaw and welcome to Chemistry 101." He said in a dreary tone.

And that is when she came into my life. Linneah's hair was covering up her face as she attempted to silently slink into the classroom unnoticed.

"And you must be Miss. Johnson. You're late." Snipped Mr. Bradshaw.

"I - I'm sorry, Mr. Bradshaw. It won't happen again. I just got --"

"Do I look like I have time for excuses?"

"No, sir ..."

"Take a sit next to Mr. Evergreen in the back, Miss. Johnson."

"Yes, sir."

Linneah quickly obeyed Mr. Bradshaw as she silently took a seat next to me and looked up to the front of the classroom as Mr. Bradshaw continued his lecture. But, I was too distracted at the beautiful girl sitting next to me. I kept staring at her long black hair and brown eyes.

"Mr. Evergreen." Interrupted Mr. Bradshaw.

"Yes, sir?"

"Now that I have your undivided attention, can you please tell me what page we are on in our textbooks?"

I quickly glanced down at my unopened textbook.

Oh, crap! I thought to myself. What am I going to say without making myself look like an idiot!

"We ... uh ... we are on the introduction page of chapter ... 1, sir." I replied as confidently as I could.

"Well, you proved me wrong. You were paying attention, Mr. Evergreen. Can you please stand up and read where we are at out loud?"

Obeying given instructions, I stood up and read from a random spot in the textbook and found out to my surprise that that was the correct spot. The rest of the day, I could not stop thinking about Linneah. When the bell rang announcing the end of the school day, I rushed to find Linneah walking on her way to her house.

"Hi, Linneah, right?" I asked.

"Um ... yeah.: She replied while blushing.

"I'm Thomas, your lab partner in Chemistry class. Er ... can I walk you home?"

To my surprise, she responded with "sure. Thanks." And I swear that i saw fireworks. We both walking in silence up to her house. when we reached her front door, I knew that it was the right time to ask her out. Blushing even more, she replied with "I would like that. Thank you. Here's my number." After exchanging numbers, she waved to me and went inside. I walked home beaming with pride and with knots in my stomach. I have never felt this way ever in my life before.

That night, we both texted and set up our first date and before we knew it, we both fell in love with each other as we had our first kiss right in front of school the very next day. And from that moment on, I have always believed in true love at first sight.

Now, with the shooting, I was having a mental breakdown as I saw my true love drop to the ground and land in a puddle of her own blood as it oozed out of her back and right shoulder blade. Our English teacher, Miss. Lope, yanked me inside of the classroom and closed the door in front of my face, separating me from the other half of my soul.