Status: I have based this story off of a subject that is very important to me. I find that we need to learn how to control our usage of automatic guns and I hope that my short story is able to bring this message across others that we all need to find a way to address this issue together.

A Fresh Start

Chapter 6: Martha

Staring at the surgery board, I felt as if my heart was ripped out of my chest and forced down my stomach. There in blue marker underneath “patient” was Linneah’s name written in cursive. My own daughter. Because of how absorbed I was with the board, I jumped to feel my friend’s hand rest on my shoulder.

“Let’s go take a walk.” She whispered into my ear.

Holding my hand, Erika lead me away from my nightmare to her private office. As Erika bolted the door shut, I slowly sank into her light brown leather couch, trying to breath correctly.

“Martha,” She said. “As both your boss and your best friend, I want to apologize on behalf of Linneah. I know that this is very stressful, but she will be alright. We both know this. This is not your fault, do you understand?”

Unable to say anything, I just nodded my head.

“Now, I have to break the bad news to you. As your boss, I am afraid that I am going to have to prevent you from seeing your daughter and taking care of her as a surgeon. I am going to need you to go back to your locker and change into your street clothes. You are not allowed to go back to work until your daughter is better and you are not allowed to give her any physical treatment unless approved by me. You got it?”

Looking up with my eyes glazed over, I found my voice.

“But, damn it Erika! She is my DAUGHTER! MY daughter! I have to right to give her treatment and to take care of her! Mother’s always take care of their children and give them the best care necessary! I WILL give her the proper treatment personally!” I screeched.

“No, Rogers, will go to your locker right now or else I am going to call security.”

“Call security all you want! She is my daughter and I will NOT have anyone else take care of her besides me!”

“That’s what I was afraid of.” She sighed, glancing behind me as two talk figures hovered over me. “Take care of her, boys.”

The security guards both gently grabbed my by the arms and led me out of Erika’s office.

“NOOOOO!!!” I yelled. “Erika! Help me! I thought that we were best friends! Why are you doing this to me! She is my daughter!”

The door closed behind me and the last that I saw of Erika that day were tears streaming down her face as she quietly slammed her door behind me with purpose. I knew that she was just doing her job. I just wanted the best for my daughter.

The security guards, Joe and Billy, led me to the locker room where I got changed into my street clothes. From there, they led me out of the hospital no matter how many times I was complaining and telling them that I walk myself out. They couldn’t help it. They were all just doing they job. In fact, we all were.