Status: I do NOT have a first chapter yet. My first chapter is going to give more of a backstory on Kat, but I have not written it yet.

Kate's Big Break

Big Break

“New York Post, corner of 6th and 48th” I tell the taxi driver as I slip into the back seat. I normally wouldn’t spend money on a taxi, but I have a very important interview today and riding a crowded New York City subway in a dress is never a good idea. This could be my big break! I’m interviewing a Senator today. I was up nearly all night going over my questions over and over again, making sure that I didn’t miss anything or say anything that could be offensive. At this point, it’s nearly impossible to screw this up. Unless the one thing I didn’t account for happens. New York City Traffic. Good going Kat. There’s no way you’ll get the big break you need if your late for the biggest interview of your career. “Can you drive any faster?” I snap at the taxi driver.

“It’s rush hour in New York City, lady,” he snapped back. “What do you expect?”

“I expect a polite taxi drive. is what I expect,” I muttered to myself.

“’scuse me?” he asked, the volume of his voice increasing. I didn’t plan on getting thrown out of a taxi this morning so I ignored him and pulled the newspaper I had bought that morning and began reading it.

I was so enveloped in the newspaper that when the taxi pulled up to New York Post’s office and came to a screeching halt, I let out a short scream and my iced coffee fell to the floor, spilling all over. “Sir!” I exclaimed, “you knocked my coffee out of the cup holder! Be a little more careful when you’re driving paying customers around.” I said as I handed him the money for the ride. I was definitely taking the subway home. I couldn’t afford to be spending all this money on taxis.

I checked my watched, realizing it was 10:05 and that I had the biggest interview of my career in 25 minutes. I rushed to my desk, pulling out my notebook as I sat down. I went through the questions once again, going over them in my head, making sure they sounded right.

“Kat. Kat. Katherine Rose Wells!” my best friend, Paige, exclaims. “It’s 10:25! Your interview, the interview starts in five minutes. Get in there!”

“Oh my god thank you,” I said, pulling her into a quick hug. “Wish me luck!”

“I wish all the luck upon you,” she said smiling. “You’re going to crush it!” I hurried to meeting room C. The room that could make or break my dream career.

“Oh my gosh, how did it go?” Paige exclaimed as I approached my desk.

I turned to her with a solemn face, “It went…” I paused, “Amazing!” I said a grin spreading across my face. “It went so great! He was so nice and my questions were perfect and –“

“Slow down,” she said with a grin. “Your rambling.” And so, I sat down, took a deep breath and told her every detail of the interview. “Do you think I’m going to get the promotion?” I asked.

“Of course, you are! You’re one of the best writers here and that was just more proof.”

“Thanks for the confidence boost,” I said, my heart swelling with joy. “I am seriously living the perfect life right now! My dream job in New York City, an incredible best friend like you. Now all I need is an equally incredible boyfriend.”

“I just don’t understand how you haven’t gotten a guy yet! I mean look at you!”

“Oh, stop it,” I said. “You’re making me blush.”

“I’m serious, Kat. You are an incredible girl and now you just need to find a man who can handle all of your incredibleness.”

“A man, hm?” I said giggling.

“Stop it!” she exclaimed. “I need to get back to work. Are we still on for lunch?”

“Of course, we are.” I said. “You know I would only cancel if it was an emergency or a date.”

“Well you never know,” she said grinning. “I’ll talk to you in..” she looked down at her phone, “45 minutes! Don’t be late, we have reservations.”

“To where?” I asked.

“You’ll just have to wait to find out.” She said as she turned to walk to her desk.

45 minutes later, me and Paige were walking out the doors of the New York Post and head downtown. “Now will you tell me where we are going?”

“Fine, I’ll give you a hint.” She said with a smirk. “Best sandwiches in town.”

“Margon’s!” I exclaimed. “And we most definitely don’t have reservations. You just wanted to make sure I wasn’t late.”

“Of course,” she said grinning. Margon’s definitely doesn’t have the best food in town but it’s pretty good, cheap and close to the office. I always get the chicken sandwich.

After lunch, we walked the few blocks back to the office. As we walked in, my editor Rob called me into his office.

“Nice to see you, Kat.” he said with a slight smile. “I need to talk to you.”

“Uh – ok. What do you need?” I said feeling butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

“I want to offer you a chance to write a story for the front page. How would you feel about that?” he asked.

“Oh – oh my god. Yes! Of – of course! I – I would love to.” I said, overwhelmed with excitement. This was bigger than the Senator interview! “What would I be writing about?” I asked.

“I want you to write about (big interesting story),” he said.

“Uh – okay. I can’t wait! Thank you. So much.” I said barely able to contain my excitement.

“I need it by the end of the day tomorrow. I’ll send you the file, then?”

“Ok, yes. And thank you again, sir.” I turned and walked out the door grinning. As I walked towards my desk, I could see Paige waiting at my desk, grinning. “So…” she said. “Good news?”

“Yes!” I exclaimed. “He asked me to write a front-page story!”

“Oh my gosh, seriously?” she said, her eyes lighting up with excitement for me. “What about?”

“(Big interesting story).”

“Wow,” she said, her eyes growing wide. “That’s going to be interesting to write about.”

“Yeah. Rob’s sending me the file so I can get started. I have to have to him by the tomorrow morning.”

“Well get writing!” she said, walking back towards her desk. I pulled up the file and started writing. I didn’t even look up from my laptop until Paige tapped me and the shoulder. “Time to go,” she said. “Walk with me?”

“Of course,” I said. “I’d prefer to avoid the subway in a dress, anyways.” We walked back to our apartment building, talking about my story and her new love interest, Sam. We entered the elevator, me pressing the buttons for floors four and nine. When the elevator arrived at floor four, I gave her a quick hug and said “See you tomorrow!” She smiled as she exited the elevator. “See you tomorrow.” I continued up to floor nine and entered my apartment. Ugh. I thought to myself, I should probably clean this place up. So, I got to work cleaning up my mess of an apartment and then sat down to eat some leftovers from dinner, Saturday, and put the finishing touches on my piece.

I woke with a start to the sound of my phone ringing. Crap! I thought. I fell asleep at my laptop and couldn’t hear my alarm! I answered my phone, seeing it was Paige. “Kat! Where are you?” she exclaimed. “I’ve been waiting down here for 10 minutes! We’re going to be late!” Me and Paige walk together to work every day except Mondays because she likes to get to work early on Mondays to start off the week, and I like to sleep.

“Oh my god, Paige! I am so sorry. I fell asleep at my laptop and couldn’t here my alarm and –“

“Stop!” she cut me off. “Just get down here!”

“I will!” I said hanging up the phone and hurrying to my room. I grabbed a pair of pants, a blouse and a blazer, through them on, slipped on my heels, and hurried to the elevator. I pressed the down button continuously until the elevator arrived. I scurried in and pressed the lobby button. When the elevator arrived at the lobby, I basically jumped out and ran to meet Paige, who was waiting for me at the doors to the apartment complex. “We are definitely taking the subway today,” she said as we hurried out the doors. It was 9:23 and if we planned on getting to work even remotely on time, we had to be on the platform when the train arrived in about six minutes. We were basically running to the station, a few blocks away. We took the stairs two at a time and arrived at the platform just as the train we needed to catch was pulling away. “Ugh!” I exclaimed. “I am so sorry Paige! This is all my fault. If I had just –“

“Kat,” she said cutting me off. “It’s fine. I know how stressed you were about the story, and it’s completely understandable. This is a huge point in you career as a journalist! Your first front-page story!”

“Thanks Paige,” I said.

“Please tell me you have the finished story.”

“Yep,” I said, pulling it out of my bag.

“Okay, I’ll just call Sam so he can let Rob know that we missed our train. How long until the next one?” she asked.

“Less than ten minutes,” I said. “And that’s a good idea. I hope Rob understands.”

“I’m sure he will,” she said with a grin. “Now shut up so I can talk to Sam!” I laughed and pulled out my phone, aimlessly scrolling through Facebook. I looked up and saw our train pulling up. We slipped into the crowed car.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is not chapter 1. This will probably be chapter 2 and I will have a chapter before this introducing Kat and giving a slight back story. However, I do want to see what people think of my writing and the style of my writing though so I know what to change and how to make my novel as good as possible.