My Catastrophe

001

There was a silence to the madness of you. It was woven between the unspoken looks of misunderstanding, eyes glazed as you blinked away the world that unfurled before you; hoping you’d lose it to the pillars of smoke from cigarettes you swore you’d quit.

Your madness was never loud. It never could be. You cowered behind the setting of sun and the rising of morn, staring into the golden light like it could hold the answers to these things you did not understand.

You confessed all to me when the sky was blue, orange and pink. Intertwining in a glorious light that could make atheists believe in God, but that didn’t do a damn thing to sweeten the weight of your words. It rested heavy on my soul as you stood upon that damned rooftop next to me with eyes squinting as you stared into the setting sun. I should have realised then how comfortable you’d become standing on an edge.

Summer passed as a silent spring; babbling muffled behind that cloudy haze you dosed yourself in. Nights were shorter and you feared the lightness of day. All I could do was watch and hope this was a passing moment of melancholy to be forgotten with the turning of the seasons.

Your note said you’d gone to chase sunsets, to understand why the red sky is a blessing when all it signals is another endless day. I’d have laughed at the cliche of it all if I could but my heart had become drowned in the red that poured from your wrists.

I’d figured you would have jumped. I guess that showed how little I really knew you.