Status: Hang on to something, you're in for one heck of a ride!

Got to Get You Into My Life

Got to get you into my life

The funeral was difficult, to say the least, but Paul stayed at her side the whole time. He had been a rock throughout the entire ordeal, always with her, holding her hand.

The wake was held at the same funeral home that her grandmother's wake had been held at, and her mother laid to rest right beside her own mother.

Emma stood by the grave long after everyone else had left, choosing to watch every detail. She watched as her mother was lowered into the grave, and even watched as the dirt was shoveled over her.

Paul had urged her not to stay for this bit, but just as stubborn as she ever was, Emma refused to move.

"You know, I thought she'd live forever..She was so strong, and stubborn."
"Much like her daughter I'd say." Paul interjected. Emma ignored that.
"I remember the time one of our cows got loose. She chased that cow down, and brought her all the way home..eventhough she did have to run almost into town." Emma smiled as she remembered, as another tear streaked down her cheek, only to be stopped by Paul's fingers.
"Darling, that's a memory you'll always have of her. I'm sure there are many others, they will always stay with you."

Emma turned to face him, and stared, then turned away.
"Will you stay...or will you leave just like everyone else that I've ever loved?"
"Emma, I'm not going anywhere. Don't think for one second that I'll ever leave." Emma smiled, but just for a moment, before leaning in to cry on his shoulder.
"I love her Paul, and i just can't believe she's gone."
"Darling, I know you love her, and you always will. I should know, i still love my mum, even after all these years. That never goes away. And trust me, the pain lessons as time goes by.
"That's right, you lost your mom too.." Paul nodded yes.
"I love you Paul. You've been so good to me."
"And I plan on being so for the rest of my life."

Before they left the cemetery Emma knelt down and touched her grandmother's grave for a moment, then stood back up.
"Ok, let's go.."

They returned to the house, both thankful that food had already been prepared, and left by some kind neighbors, although neither one wanted to eat much.

The two weeks that followed were very trying to Paul, as he helplessly watched Emma mourn, spending almost every day in her mother's room. Though she seldom emerged, he was always near enough that had she whispered his name, he would have heard her.

Eventually her tears subsided, and she seemed more like her old self. Still, there was something that seemed to bother her. Paul remained quiet, knowing that if she wanted to talk, she would tell him so.

Although she had been in mourning, the farm still had to be taken care of. Fences needed mending, and animals needed feeding, and cleaned up after.

Several caring townsfolk did their best, and worked the farm, never once asking for money. This was one of the things that weighed heavily on her mind. These kind people worked tirelessly, eventhough they had their own farms to tend to, and their own families waiting at home for them. How could she ask that they continue...

"Paul, I don't know what to do... they're working so hard out there.. I can't ask them to keep doing it.. But, i can't run this farm by myself.."
"Darling, I'll be here, and I'll help.."
"I can't let you do that... You're better suited to a guitar than a shovel."
"Well, I can't argue with that, but I don't mind helping.. else i wouldn't have come."
"Paul I...." she abruptly rose and walked to the window.
"Paul, I've made up my mind, I'm going to sale this farm.. and then when that rain thing comes back, I'll go with you."
Paul rose and walked up next to her.
"Are you sure luv?"
"Paul, I've never been more sure about anything in my whole life. Leaving this place is gonna be hard, but I know i couldn't live without you." Paul quickly drew her in, and kissed her.
"Baby i love you."
"I love you too Paul."

A few days later Emma had successfully put the farm up for sale. It was on the market just a week when a neighbor bought it. He even let them stay a few weeks longer, long enough to make other arrangements for another place to live. Neither one told him that they were waiting for a wall of rain to take them back to the past. They thought it better to leave that out. And hoped that it would show up soon.

A week had gone by, and no rain, until early one morning along around 3:00am.. Both were sound asleep when it started, but it soon woke both of them up.
Paul got up first, and fumbled his way through the dark room to the window.
"Uhh....baby...."
"What is it?"
"The rain, it's back."
"What?! Apparently that thing doesn't know what time it is..." she yawned as she walked over to where he stood.
"Guess not, maybe it's telling us it's time to go."
"Ok, let's get dressed..

About five minutes later they were dressed, and standing in front of the rain, just close enough to not get wet.
"Well, are you ready?"
"As ready as I'll ever be.." she then turned, and took one final look at the farm.
"Goodbye momma.... goodbye house.."
Somewhere close by they heard Henrietta..
Emma laughed..."goodbye Henrietta." She turned back to face Paul, and the rain.
"I'm ready." With that Paul grabbed her hand firmly in his, giving it a little squeeze.
"Ok, here we go.." and together they stepped through.

They emerged, not into 1964 England, but somewhere very strange. Both looked at each other, as shocked as they could possibly be.. Because they were now in a world, where apparently the dinosaurs had never died.